Lactate Testing

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by tomUK, Nov 24, 2003.

1. tomUK

tomUK New Member

Guys/Girls -

I have heard that you can obtain lactate testing strips.

Does anyone know where in the UK one can buy these?
    How well do they work?

I'm told once the level in your blood reaches above 4mmol(?) then this is the threshold?

I think, in the past 2LAPS has comment/knows about this?

Any information would be appreciated.

Many thanks
    Tom

Tags:

2. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

You can buy a tester called an 'ACCU-SPORT' or 'LACTATE PRO', its similar to an 'ACCU-TREND' that is used to measure glucose and cholesterol at home. They are fairly accurate and reliable. You should be able to get them from a chemist on order or from a company called bodycare.

Here they are...

http://www.bodycare.co.uk/performance/shop.asp?code=BS481-002A
    http://www.bodycare.co.uk/performance/shop.asp?code=BS781-1011

There are a couple of probems with 'self testing' of lactate namely...
    1. The ability to standardise the test from run to run (e.g. similar environment, protocol and reliable measure of work load) - impossible in a garage with a turbo trainer and heart rate monitor!
    2. Cost.
    3. The information you get from the test - what does it mean and how do you apply it in training.

The 4 mmol you mention is called OBLA and is considered an arbetory figure now (i.e. no particular physiological significance); however if your power output at 4 mmol has increased that shows improved fitness.

There are a number of different thresholds using lactate (e.g. MLSS, OBLA, LT, etc.) its worth reading up on them and how they effect what you do in a test and on the road.

All in all I think you are best avoiding the 'testing at home' scenario.

3. tomUK

tomUK New Member

2LAP -

Thanks for the reply. Where in the UK do you work and does the organisation you work for provide such testing?

How much does it cost, if so.

Many thanks.

4. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

While I can't help you personaly; I think its worth you contacting British Cycling Coaching Department who maintain a list of places in the UK that you get tested or BASES (www.BASES.org.uk) which accredits labs and scientists. RicStern may also be able to help you out if you live in South Wales.

Testing will cost you £50+ depending upon what you want (a full assessment might cost you over £150) and each place will charge a different amount.

If you decide to have some testing make sure you decide exactly why you want the information and what information you'd like as this will determine the tests completed and equipment used (e.g. do you want training advice or to see how far off you are from the GB selection criteria - each of these will need different tests and equipment).

Its worth getting a coach to help you apply the information to your training and finding out how the person testing you will analyse the data & what format it will be fed back to you.

Any decent 'scientist' will be able to help you find what tests you want in addition to the limitations of the tests and the data you will get.