Lactate Transporters (paper)

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Laflore, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Laflore

Laflore New Member

Here's a well written paper discussing specific training to target MCT-1 and MCT-3 lactate transporters, the goal being to reduce lactic acid buildup and thus increase LT. It's geared for elite distance swimmers, but IMHO it is still a very interesting read with some good references.

http://www.swimmingcoach.org/wsca/WSCA_news/wscanl2-00.pdf

I've incorporated some of the general principles into my own training plan (following a base period).. I.e. short hard intervals like 30/30's (targeting mct-3) on Tuesdays and threshold work (targeting mct-1) on Thursdays. Racing or long ride on the weekend, and endurance or recovery rides on the other weekdays. Not sure if there's any correlation, but my racing is going very well so far this season. :)

I think the 30/30's (A set alternates [email protected] with [email protected], repeated 3 or 4 times. 4 or 5 sets comprise a workout, in my case.) are the single biggest reason for my improvement this year. I know I get a lot of high quality work in at a lower perceived effort than the longer 4 or 5 minute intervals, but that's just me.

Would be curious to hear others' thoughts on this angle to training (I.e. lactate taxi system model of controlling lactic acid buildup).

BTW, being new here.. this board is awesome! So many knowledgeable folks willing to share.. :)

-Ron

Tags:

2. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

I'm affraid that being no expert on lactate kinetics I can not comment on the TAXIS proposal. I prefer to remember that every effort will have a number of physiological and psychological effects.

30 seconds on/30 seconds off will cause different physiological adaptations to the 4 or 5 minute efforts that you describe. Also depending upon your type of racing, current status and goals, 30 second efforts might present all the benefits in the world or not many at all.

You say that you complete 3 to 4 reps of 30 secs in 4 or 5 sets. That makes between 12 and 20 efforts which seems a bit much to me.

These efforts would also cause you to produce massive lactate build up over a set and this would take some time to recover from. The half life of lactic acid is around 15 minutes so recovery can take some time. These efforts are like performing wingates back to back and I would suggest that 1 or 2 sets are enough for anyone.

Keep pedalling