Lactic threshold confusion

firstly, if you dig a little deeper at more modern studies you'll realize that LT as a concept has been relegated to myth status.. that LT inflection point doesn't exist.. actually it can't exist or human exercise physiology would be completely different than what is actually observed.

secondly, you would want to do a "Threshold" interval at a higher intensity than "LT"

thirdly, threshold intervals should be minimum ~10mins

fourthly, as others have mentioned if you don't have a power meter, you'd be much better find a course that you can do your interval (10min minimum to 30mins) and use time rather than HR to gauge your effort HR is not that good of a tool for gauging intensity of threshold intervals.. the time lag is too long and it HR varies too much on outside influences.. heat, time of day, fatigue long or short term etc, etc.. you'd be much better off just taking a few sessions and setting splits for your self. try an effort if it's too fast, go a little slower next time etc.. 'til you find a speed/time that approx. work for you... try to use the same course all the time so you can gauge what you are doing.

When I was riding "seriously" I was in a similar situation (no money for gizmos)- I found that when was "going anaerobic" I could taste blood in, ( the back) my mouth. This taste is actually from ketone which is a byproduct of anaerobic work. When I had this "taste" I "backed off", and as I experimented I found that if I kept the taste in my throat and not not go so hard as to let it get into my mouth I could keep that pace I was at. If that taste came easily to me that meant I should take it easy that day as I needed to rest. Basically, I was listening to my body and rode the best I ever have from learning that trick. I have a lot of the gizmos now and rarely find use them much