Lactic threshold heart rate

11ring

Apr 22, 2006
When i am in form, my lactic threshold can get as high as 180 bpm, or even slightly above that. Is this unusual, as the highest i have ever gone up to is 193-195. I am 25 years old.

11ring said:
Thanks.

Actually meant FT. My mistake.

Different methodologies and testing errors aside, there must still be some meaningful ranges and typical figures.

Actually, FT (functional threshold) means the power output you can produce over ~1-hr, and again, is nothing to do with HR (which can vary at a given power output) under varying environmental, and topographical conditions, along with acute and chronic changes in fitness.

If you know FT (and therefore power output) i'd suggest it doesn't matter what your HR is, along as you're trying 'all-out' during your 1-hr test.

On the other hand, if you've seen a max HR of ~195 b/min, you may or may not be able to go higher and 180 b/min might or might not be the limit of what you can do. Could you go any harder and sustain the power, or where you just riding around... that would tell you the answer.

On the other hand, i can sustain ~ 180 b/min avg HR for ~ 1-hr under TT conditions with a HRmax of 200 b/min. On the other hand if i do back to back (25-mile) TTs on consecutive days at the same power output, my HR on the second day would drop to about ~170 b/min (or less).

Ric

Are you implying that HR zones are inferior to power zones as indicators of real effort.

No vested interest here

Given you do your training in a relatively controlled environment, one should expect to see your maximum sustainable output to occur at similar heart rates, given you are equally rested- this is my experience.

To the extent that this fluctuates it would seem power output would too- i.e. a relative lack of recovery will hit power output and cause day to day fluctuations.

11ring said:
Are you implying that HR zones are inferior to power zones as indicators of real effort.

Yes, HR is a secondary measure, and with the prescence of power output, pretty uninteresting. Power output is the primary measure -- power is what drives you forward and is the important measure.

Given you do your training in a relatively controlled environment, one should expect to see your maximum sustainable output to occur at similar heart rates, given you are equally rested- this is my experience.

Unless you do your training in a lab under standardised conditions, it wouldn't be a controlled environment. HR at a given power will vary significantly under environmental conditions (e.g., heat, cold, altitude), topgraphical (up hill, downhill, level ground), cadence, fatigue, what you've eaten (e.g., caffeine)

To the extent that this fluctuates it would seem power output would too- i.e. a relative lack of recovery will hit power output and cause day to day fluctuations.

as mentioned, i can produce the same power on a day to day basis, but my (as can anyones) HR can vary significantly

ric

A gym or your bedrom is a pretty good control environment. Same altitude, similar temp inside, esp with air con.

BTW i cant afford no power meter, only know how much i can produce from gym machines or my goes on those really great trainers that simulate grand tour stages, and have power output displayed. And by the figures on analytic cycling.

Damn it, i almost won one in a comp at Sydney bike show. Fastest time up last 1.8 km of some Belgian stage won the machine. Stopped cold after I was told I had won. Pity there was actually 300 m to go.

Unless you do your training in a lab under standardised conditions, it wouldn't be a controlled environment. HR at a given power will vary significantly under environmental conditions (e.g., heat, cold, altitude), topgraphical (up hill, downhill, level ground), cadence, fatigue, what you've eaten (e.g., caffeine)