Ladies, How Safe Do You Feel Riding A Bike Late At Night?

Dora M

Feb 20, 2015
Colombia
I often have to ride back from my work late at night. I know all the roads around here very well, but there are certain stretches where there are no street lights, and that's when I pedal like crazy to get through those zones as fast as possible. I always try to stick to the most populated and lit up roads wherever possible. And if I have a murky feeling, I simply leave my bike at my work place and call a taxi.
How about you? Have you ever come close to being attacked while riding your bike after dark?

I don't tend to ride my bike late at night as I think around here, it is asking for trouble. I live in a very secluded area that seems to be all back roads and trees. I will ride no later than about eight around here at the moment but will ride a bit later in the summer when there is more light.

I dont ride my bike late at night I also dont go for walks late at night, not alone anyways. I think being out late your more likely to find trouble so I avoid it if I can.

I have not had any difficulties. I have ridden home around midnight a number of times when I was temporarily working an evening/night position. There was one corner that always made me nervous because it was so dark due to poorly spaced street lights that I was always afraid I was going to hit a rock I couldn't see. I have a headlight, but it's mostly so I can be seen by cars, doesn't light the road much.

It really would depend on where I was. In my town, I have always felt quite safe on the main roads, which are well lit. I would not want to go through a bad part of town where there are "creepy people" hanging around.

I've done it a couple times, but I make sure that I know the roads well and that I'm not in any bad parts of town. I've done some walking at night too, and I follow the same rules. I also make sure that I have my phone closeby in case anything happens, and that I'm well aware of what's going on around me.

I do ride my bike at night but it's only for short distances. I haven't run into any trouble but your right that creepy feeling does find its way into your heart. I try my best to listen to my gut feeling about this I guess that's why I never really go too far.

I don't ride at night at all. I live in a relatively safe city in a safe part of town, but I haven't really had any reason to ride my bike at night. Everything I need is super close to me, and if I know I'll be out late, I usually just bus back home. Being out at night alone creeps me out. I'm sure I'd feel the same if I was cycling.

I don't ride late at night nor do I walk when it's dark outside. I would consider doing so if I'm with a friend or in a company but definitely not alone. I live in the center of the city, not some outskirts but it's still not safe to wander around at night. Usually my level of awareness is pretty high and I'd be pretty nervous to ride at night.

I honestly think riding a bike or even talking a walk outside at night is a no! Personally, I am way to paranoid to even go outside by myself. The only reason is because I watch way too many scary movies! Watching movies and the news makes me very conscious. The only time that I will go for a bike ride outside, is when I am not alone. Overall, bike riding at night seems very fun and I am sure I will try it when I stop being so scared.

The answer to this thread title depends on the place. There is a village here that is safe and secured such that villagers can play ball or do cycling any time of the day or night. But in our village, I cannot say the same, much more outside because criminal elements are always there. It is safer to be paranoid that be reckless.

Several incidents were already reported about the dangers that lurk in our village. The village guard had related that they arrested a guy in a motorcycle who was victimizing women at night. As a prop, that guy has his wife riding in tandem and there's even their child between them. In other words, you see a family riding a motorcycle, what would you think? Definitely you will not think of them as a criminal who would hurt you. But they are.

I feel safe in my area. However, I live in a small suburbs town and I have known everyone here for years. I would probably be terrified to ride a bike late at night in a huge city like NYC.

Depending upon where you live, it can be quite dangerous to ride a bicycle at night, regardless of your gender. Of course, women probably face more threats than men, but these threats always exist. Night riding is only safe in areas that are generally safe throughout the day, too. Some women will ride fearlessly into the night, and others will hesitate depending upon the time of night or what has happened in the area lately. It's probably smart to avoid riding at night for other reasons on the road, considering accidents are more likely at night, and less people are around to help if something happens.

I don't ride my bike at night, especially here where rape crimes are very rampant. I think it's better to be safe than sorry. Even just walking at 9 PM here is very dangerous already. So I just ride my bike during mornings or afternoon. Anyway, I don't really ride for commuting, mostly just for fun and exercise. So it's not crucial for me to go home at night with my bike. I can either commute or have my husband fetch me.

I totally ride my bike at night! And not even the bad people I fear but the cars, sadly. I use not so crowded backroads in the town, but at night drivers can be careless. Even that I have lights, of course, blinking and not blinking, in my town the biker safety commuting in not a priority sadly.

Riding at night can obviously be dangerous for a number of reasons but you'll be surprised just how many people do it.

A lot of people, especially those that commute to work and back won't have a choice but to ride in the dark. While its probably not something that I'd recommend you do for pleasure, you just have to do what you have to do sometimes.

I've never had a problem cycling at night, and I used to work weird shifts and ride home in the middle of the night frequently. It all depends on location. Where I used to ride at night there weren't many streetlights, but it was small town so there was never any traffic late at night and there was a generous bike lane. There wasn't much crime either and I never felt threatened.

Another route that I took more often was tree lined and dark with no streetlight, but again, there was rarely traffic and drivers were fairly thoughtful to cyclists since that's how so many people in the area got around.

I would feel less safe in certain parts of downtown Toronto, or along one of those stretches of highway that runs through an industrial area. Those are typically the kind of places I try to avoid after dark whether on bike or on foot.

I try not to ride my bike at night. We don't live in a unusually bad area but I still feel uncomfortable out alone at night. I usually will get my husband to come along or a friend.
I wish that I felt more safe out at night, but I do not and my husband would not be happy if I went out at night alone.

I guess its just a sign of the times these days unfortunately, and nobody, male or female can be 100% safe all the time.

I remember when I was a kid playing out on my bike till 10pm sometimes on the school holidays. I wouldn't let my kids out till that time these days, not without being with them anyway.

I think that riding late night is equally dangerous both for men and women, depending on the zone of course.

When I was younger, I rode at night, but I wouldn't do it now. The last time I took my bike out at night, I got a flat tire. Fortunately, I was close to home and able to walk the bike to my destination and got a ride home in a car. Nope, not for me.

I have a neighbor who is an avid rider and he would never ride at night. It's just too dangerous.