Ladies, How Safe Do You Feel Riding A Bike Late At Night?

Honestly, I would never ride out after dark. I just get scared to be alone and I feel vulnerable. I like to be safe and I do not feel safe alone at night. I would be more comfortable riding with a group of people at nighttime. I think that as a woman, it is my responsibility to make sure that I do not put myself in risky situations. I think the darkness inspires people to do crazy things.

I'd say it depends. Around my neighborhood, in streets with some traffic, or in a group ride I feel ok. But I'd never ride on the bike path at night, it's really dark (no public lightning for miles) and there isn't a lot of traffic. Plus the bike path runs across the shore line and there are a lot of homeless people and junkies who usually camp around there.

I personally don't feel very safe riding around at night, but that doesn't really have to do with my gender but rather the fact that it's dangerous to be out on the street after a certain time of the day, at least where I live. Traffic isn't heavy at all, but the streets near my apartment building are not well lit, and without a backlight, which is a purchase I've been meaning to make, I feel it's not appropriate to take the risk. I haven't been close to being in a dangerous situation so far, but I don't think that having a bike and being able to runaway will not necessarily benefit me in that situation.

I think riding alone at night is dangerous for both genders. Sometimes that weird feeling of fear creeps in and sometimes I could ignore it and just go faster. I still feel safe thinking that no one can run after me if I go fast.

I live in a very rural area and there are not many street lights, house lights or even space on the road to actually bike. Regardless of how many reflective items or light I wear Is till do not feel safe riding at night, more of the location environment than anything. In the winter time it is awful because it gets dark so soon and by the time I get out of work there isn't much time left to ride, making it a very difficult task to ride, when not in the summer months.

It's so crazy we live in a society where people can't ride their bikes during the night. I had worked remotely for an American company for a while and at the time I was living in Europe (I still do, but I plan on moving real soon) and there was a big time zone difference (~9 hours) so that meant that if I had some consultations with my boss or colleagues, had to potentially stay up until 2 AM and as you can imagine that really messed up my sleep. My remedy was going out for a really long bike ride through the city, enjoying the empty streets, and going home after watching a sunrise and I never for a second thought I might be in danger.

First of all I have no sense of direction so I would get even if I'm in my own neighborhood. I don't enjoy going out at night by myself it always feel as if someone is watching you.

Zhen25 said:
First of all I have no sense of direction so I would get even if I'm in my own neighborhood. I don't enjoy going out at night by myself it always feel as if someone is watching you.
Ooh, creepy. You could always use a GPS or something like that. Most of the phones even have it now, but I get why you're not going out at night.

So far i have not experienced anything like being attacked riding at night. I would always be kind of on the edge riding through some dark streets, passages, alleys, and on the alert, because one can never know what may happen. And I would also paddle really fast, which would let me get away from these dark areas, just like you mention you usually do.
But, as someone mentioned here too, what if you get a flat tire in such a dark place..? That would be aweful, even if it was a safe place..Being in a dark especially in some unknown areas would always be scary.
If you ask me, I rarely ride at night. Maybe only in those cases when I am being late home and the night has already fallen...

When I got the flat tire I freaked out to tell you the truth. It was dark, there were street lights on, but I wasn't sure if I was alone on that street. I was able to walk the bike for the few blocks to my destination. From that time on, I have never and would never ever ride at night. Well, maybe if I was with other people I knew well, who were also riding bicycles. That would be the only time. Never alone!

I had come quite close to be attacked, but it was a pack of stray dogs. As a person who does not live in a big town, animals play bigger threat to me. And i just try to kick and not fall in any circumstances.

bykster said:
It's so crazy we live in a society where people can't ride their bikes during the night. I had worked remotely for an American company for a while and at the time I was living in Europe (I still do, but I plan on moving real soon) and there was a big time zone difference (~9 hours) so that meant that if I had some consultations with my boss or colleagues, had to potentially stay up until 2 AM and as you can imagine that really messed up my sleep. My remedy was going out for a really long bike ride through the city, enjoying the empty streets, and going home after watching a sunrise and I never for a second thought I might be in danger.
You must be very brave or rather you feel very comfortable at the place you live in, not to ever fell any fear of a possibility to get in danger. I am not saying one should live in fear thoughout the course of their life, but nowadays especially one has to be at least on the alert. However, I really appreciate your openess, and I wish I could be as free as you are! I am sure that the site of empty streets, and especially sunrise or sunset for that matter may create very lovely feelings in a person, help you relieve stress and just calm you down. Or just be a remedy for one's sleep, as in your case. :)

I don't ride my bike at night. It’s not even an option. I can’t go running by myself at night. Especially over the bridge i can get attacked or raped. So many things could happen. So many things that men never even have to consider. Because as much as feminism has helped women gain parity with men in the workplace and at home, there are still a lot of subtle but very real ways that women are required to police and monitor themselves. The public sphere is still a very fraught and frightening place for women to navigate — especially alone and especially at night.

While a lot of people might not like riding their bike late at night, is that because of the actual riding and the roeads, or just security in general?

Do you feel safe walking at night for example, and is society to blame as a whole for people feeling less secure after dark?

Reactions: briannagodess
While a lot of people might not like riding their bike late at night, is that because of the actual riding and the roeads, or just security in general?

Do you feel safe walking at night for example, and is society to blame as a whole for people feeling less secure after dark?

For me, it's just security in general. I do know and I am familiar with the roads here and quite okay with riding as well. But biking, or even walking alone at night can be quite scary for me. For instance, a woman here at our village was taken by two men and almost raped if she wasn't seen by a couple. So for me, yes society has made me less secure in going out in the dark.

Reactions: pwarbi
For me, it's just security in general. I do know and I am familiar with the roads here and quite okay with riding as well. But biking, or even walking alone at night can be quite scary for me. For instance, a woman here at our village was taken by two men and almost raped if she wasn't seen by a couple. So for me, yes society has made me less secure in going out in the dark.

I think that's the case for a lot of males though aswell as females and it's a sad sign of the times.

I myself live in a built up city and to get to my gym I could take a short cut and go past a cemetery but at this time of year when it gets dark early I choose to go the long way round. That's not because I'm scared of the ghosts, it's because I'm scared of a mugger jumping out from behind a headstone!

Reactions: briannagodess
I think that's the case for a lot of males though aswell as females and it's a sad sign of the times.

I myself live in a built up city and to get to my gym I could take a short cut and go past a cemetery but at this time of year when it gets dark early I choose to go the long way round. That's not because I'm scared of the ghosts, it's because I'm scared of a mugger jumping out from behind a headstone!

Definitely! It's better to take the longer route that's well lighted and taken by lots of people than a shortcut that can be dangerous. Gone are the days where you can walk home even if it's the middle of the night. I remember being able to commute from my school to my house, alone and at night. Nowadays, forget it, I'd rather wait for my husband to pick us up even if it takes a long while.

There is a recent announcement in our village that discourages bikers at night. Not only women but bikers including children. It was due to the incident where a bicycle was snatched (this is not the first time) and the rider was traumatized because the snatcher had a gun. It is a sorry incident that would scare anyone particularly those who ride at night.

I don't typically ride at night, but when I have the urge to, I ride within the proximity of my yard with the porch light on. It's a very short ride. To get feel some air. I'm not scared of my neighborhood, but I'm very cautious. When I'm on a night walk with people I goof around.