ladies mountain bikes

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Alastair, Jul 20, 2003.

  1. Alastair

    Alastair Guest

    My girlfriend needs replacement for awful thing she thinks is a moutnain bike . I thought i'd get
    her one off ebay etc , do all girls have to ride specific ladies mtb's or can they ride small frame
    size mens mtb's? It sounds like a stupid question but i've never thought about it before?

    Tags:

  2. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    "Alastair" > My girlfriend needs replacement for awful thing she thinks is a
    > moutnain bike . I thought i'd get her one off ebay etc , do all girls have to ride specific ladies
    > mtb's or can they ride small frame size mens mtb's? It sounds like a stupid question but i've
    > never thought about it before?

    Are all girls exactly the same size? What size is your girlfriend?

    Pat in TX

  3. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    [email protected] (Alastair) wrote:

    > My girlfriend needs replacement for awful thing she thinks is a moutnain bike . I thought i'd get
    > her one off ebay etc , do all girls have to ride specific ladies mtb's or can they ride small
    > frame size mens mtb's? It sounds like a stupid question but i've never thought about it before?

    I'll extend you the benefit of the doubt that your post is not just a troll.

    "Ladies" frames are considered generally inferior in strength and stiffness to ordinary diamond
    frames. The only reasons to use one are to allow more convenient wearing of a full skirt (which also
    requires full chain and wheel guards), or to allow riding by people too inflexible to mount a
    regular bike.

    If neither of these apply to your GF, then she should ride a diamond frame in an appropriate
    size for her.

    Chalo Colina

  4. Henry

    Henry Guest

    FWIW:

    Ladies bikes also may not operate as well, overall, as those with men's frames.

    I remember the wrenches in our shop constantly complaining that the brakes were very difficult to
    adjust and keep well adjusted and working properly because of the way they had to be placed on
    the frame due to the configuration of a woman's frame. They all said they'd never recommend a
    ladies frame ...

    "Alastair" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My girlfriend needs replacement for awful thing she thinks is a moutnain bike . I thought i'd get
    > her one off ebay etc , do all girls have to ride specific ladies mtb's or can they ride small
    > frame size mens mtb's? It sounds like a stupid question but i've never thought about it before?

  5. Jerz Fox

    Jerz Fox Guest

    Trek and Terry make diamond frame bikes that are specifically designed for women.

    Diana B., LPN Diva Nurse

    The JerZ Fox

    Money doesn't buy happiness. Poverty doesn't buy anything.

  6. Chalo wrote:
    > I'll extend you the benefit of the doubt that your post is not just a troll.
    >
    > "Ladies" frames are considered generally inferior in strength and stiffness to ordinary diamond
    > frames. The only reasons to use one are to allow more convenient wearing of a full skirt (which
    > also requires full chain and wheel guards), or to allow riding by people too inflexible to mount a
    > regular bike.
    >
    > If neither of these apply to your GF, then she should ride a diamond frame in an appropriate size
    > for her.
    >
    > Chalo Colina

    I think one of you has "girls bike" confused with "womens specific". See Trek, Santa Cruz, ... on
    why todays women specific bikes are not the same as the old "girls" bikes.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)

  7. Harpie

    Harpie Guest

    Get her a men's bike if you can find the right size (have her go to a local bike shop to determine
    the right frame size first before going onto ebay).

    Question to Chalo: who the heck rides a skirt on a bike these days? That went out in about 1920
    :) Marianne

    "Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Alastair) wrote:
    >
    > > My girlfriend needs replacement for awful thing she thinks is a moutnain bike . I thought i'd
    > > get her one off ebay etc , do all girls have to ride specific ladies mtb's or can they ride
    > > small frame size mens mtb's? It sounds like a stupid question but i've never thought about it
    > > before?
    >
    > I'll extend you the benefit of the doubt that your post is not just a troll.
    >
    > "Ladies" frames are considered generally inferior in strength and stiffness to ordinary diamond
    > frames. The only reasons to use one are to allow more convenient wearing of a full skirt (which
    > also requires full chain and wheel guards), or to allow riding by people too inflexible to mount a
    > regular bike.
    >
    > If neither of these apply to your GF, then she should ride a diamond frame in an appropriate size
    > for her.
    >
    > Chalo Colina

  8. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Craig Brossman
    <[email protected]> writes:

    > I think one of you has "girls bike" confused with "womens specific". See Trek, Santa Cruz, ... on
    > why todays women specific bikes are not the same as the old "girls" bikes.

    Here's some of what Stephanie Oakes has to say on it, from:

    http://www.stephanieoakes.com/News/Women_s_Sports_and_Fitness_Equ/women_s_sports_and_fitnes-
    s_equ.html

    (sorry 'bout the line wrap)

    <quote>

    "To explore this issue further, I decided to check into other sports equipment designers. Was
    mountain biking champion Missy Giove's bike designed for a woman? I spoke to Susan DiBiase
    professional cyclist and president of the Schwinn Toyota Mountain biking team to inquire about the
    design of bikes. Susan explained, men carry more weight in their upper bodies so they only need to
    lean forward to keep the front tire on the ground during an assent. This is more difficult for a
    woman because of our lower center of gravity.

    The same goes for snowboards, ladies. However, I was assured that Missy's Mountain bike was
    specifically designed to meet her competitive needs. I was also pleased to find out that my
    Diamondback hybrid bike is designed for a women. Carrie, from SheGear, also suggests, If you're in
    the market for a new bike and intend to really put some miles on it, a Trek 6000 which has a
    specifically designed women's bike frame is a good bet. If your like me and you don't ride enough to
    invest in a new bike, take your bike to your local bike shop to have it checked for proper fit and
    comfort. Many times just a small adjustment in your seat, tire, or handles can make a difference in
    your comfort."

    <end quote>

    cheers, Tom