Ladies Poll: Men on Bikes

Saucy

Feb 21, 2004
I was inspired by the “spandex” and “shaving” threads to set up a poll for the ladies to guage their opinion on how they feel about the whole cycling “look” as it pertains to male cyclists. You know what I mean: tight lycra, pink jerseys, shaved legs etc. I like to call these guys Cyclometrosexuals. Or Metrosexualcyclists. Or Metrocyclosexuals.

FYI, you can select more than one option. Enjoy!

Your options aren't very evenly distributed... one positive, one neutral, and all the rest are grades of negatives.

For guys with the right physique (lean, with nicely defined muscles) it's better than fine. :D
Well, with one proviso... if I've got bigger upper body muscles than you have, keep your jersey zipped up, OK? ;)

For everyone else, it's fine on the bike for reasons of practicality (otherwise, who cares?).

Originally posted by Saucy
I was inspired by the “spandex” and “shaving” threads to set up a poll for the ladies to guage their opinion on how they feel about the whole cycling “look” as it pertains to male cyclists. You know what I mean: tight lycra, pink jerseys, shaved legs etc. I like to call these guys Cyclometrosexuals. Or Metrosexualcyclists. Or Metrocyclosexuals.

~Hummm~ I can't pick from your specific categories but what I will say is that seeing the vast majority of the riders up close (as in getting off their bikes and into their buses/cars after a stage, or even on the road) they look fit, healthy, tanned, lean, clean and so incredibly strong......

YET...so very small (almost like what you imagine the Kelme riders enmasse look) and on the whole compare to pre pubescent girls who are incredibly thin and small hipped/waisted it grosses me out.

HOWEVER, get those sprinters coming past and I just melt!!!! PHWOAR, they are just delectable and more than swoon worthy no matter what lycra vomit churning jerseys they are wearing!-The shorts rarely are as spectacularly coloured so one can swoon away without disruption!!! That lycra really shows off their 'assets' and as even my own Mother couldn't help but comment on O'Grady's 'package' from a stadium shot I had snapped. That is saying something!

A male swimmer is my ideal, second come road sprinters and the climbers personally don't do anything for me despite their obvious strength as I am 5'8 anyway so it just would be out of kilt. However, track sprinters are the epitomy of grossness for me...thighs are way out of kin to their overall body but that is a necessary evil.

Just pass over the Hincapies/Cipo's of this world and I am one happy girl!!!!

How girlie and lovely to just talk of the 'phwoar' factor!

Alice :D

I'm another one who can't quite relate to your categories.

I'm a Cipo fan, there is just something about him that appeals. He's not outstandingly handsome, there is just that wow factor he has presence, its very hard to put down in words.

I was lucky enough to be in at the world championship in Zolder and it came over in bucketloads. He may have been dressed up like a yeti before the start but having been within a metre of him I was hooked.:D

My kids think I'm totally mad as I have pictures of him as the background wallpaper on my computer. There are a couple of great ads for Reebok shoes with him au naturel, nothing rude but it sure shows whats under the lycra and its pretty good.

I think a relative of his must be the model for Michael Angelo's David.

I'm putting links to the web pages so you can see for yourselves.

[www.laborraccia.it/images/cipollini_re_leone.jpg

www.porcellino.net/uomini/mario_cipollini17.jpg

www.loveongirl.com/mariocipollini/images/cipolla2.jpg

Just sit and enjoy!

Originally posted by hemplands
I'm another one who can't quite relate to your categories.

"I'm a Cipo fan, there is just something about him that appeals. He's not outstandingly handsome, there is.......Michael Angelo's David. "

O.K, I am holding onto my chair as was about to fall off it...you were 1 metre away? Sh*te!!!!!! Personally I would have ridden up 5 or so in front and then locked on my brakes and fell so Cipo could be there as he no doubt would to aid me to *wake up...lol* Bu%ger!..........that is the girlie part of me talking and at the end of the day; big deal, we all appraise Cipo's frame! ~shaking head and getting to grips with the post~

ou know what? Us girls need to contribute more to all forums. We know just as much, maybe more in some circumstances and try our best at not letting this combined site be all about the male opinion as we are not stupid/daft or too blonde (yeah...ok...I play with that one like the L.A thread but it is only to get people laughing and enjoying what they love the most instead of getting all heated up and letting the testosterone fly come what may) to really know our facts.

Any ideas of how to come up with a solid forum or should we go for any thread regardless? Personally I think we should keep on with that testotone and disagree without them silently thinking...'oh, she has P.M.S and is ranting so leave her be right now for e.g. Yet somehow we need to make our voices heard on the same field as all the 'males' posting.

We do have very valid points that need to be addressed though the same as we reply to other posts despite them being mainly men...no bad thing in that at all btw but I do get the gist that womens posts don't equal those of mens and that really bums me out.

Any ideas?

Personally I am so glad this thread has been started.

THANK YOU SAUCY!!!!!

Alice x :D .....the infamous Micky Boogerd teeth...lmfao.....

(what's wrong with being irrelevant also at times? It doesn't make 'one' less wise but shows that we are all human and hopefully amongst all the posts can smile/laugh so much it hurts as well as sulk or be miffed?

Originally posted by alicem
(what's wrong with being irrelevant also at times? It doesn't make 'one' less wise but shows that we are all human and hopefully amongst all the posts can smile/laugh so much it hurts as well as sulk or be miffed?

Irrelevancy is powerful. The most effective way to get a difficult concept across sometimes, is humour. Still like blokes with hairy legs though, think it's a mtb thing.:cool:

Originally posted by cfsmtb
Irrelevancy is powerful. The most effective way to get a difficult concept across sometimes, is humour. Still like blokes with hairy legs though, think it's a mtb thing.:cool:

CLASSIC REPLY, big up to you!!!!!!!

Alice *** ~damn, laughing AGAIN....sure this site doesn't project a 'Happy Bug' to anyone viewing it.....actually no, it doesn't thinking back!...... Tough *** to those who can't laugh and have fun despite underlying issues posed

Your options aren't very evenly distributed... one positive, one neutral, and all the rest are grades of negatives.

Well, those last three choices hardly count (although I am amused to see that the gender re-assignment has been selected!). I admit I was going more for laughs rather than just setting up a clinical poll.

After I posted it, I realized i could have set up some selections for nuances on shaving (i.e. legs vs. chest vs. pits etc.) but it was too late to modify it.

Taken literally, I suppose that the choices may not apply to everyone but I thought people would vote "in spirit" for the one that most closely ressembles their thoughts. This is just for fun. I won't be submitting this to the New England Journal of Medicine any time soon.

Ooh. I just checked out those mario pix. Yowza!!

Originally posted by Saucy

OH man. OH. It took me a while to get the idea that PINK was a very strong MACHO color for an Italian.

CIPPOLINI

CIPPOLINI

CIPPOLINI

oh sorry ..Got stuck on Italian for a second. tangent..

Yeah Roadies. HOT when they are smoking ...NOT when they are posin'.

I think all men that have shaved their legs for a sport will remember the first time they did it.
It is , perhaps, for a man, ....in a romantic sense,... a RITE of Passage to shave your legs.

yeah...
He just...decides one day....maybe before his first important race, maybe that 24 hour race with the guys, maybe a first state championship, But he goes into the bathroom...takes a razor out...and then he jsut comes with baby smooth legs. It would be interesting to hear the stories of where they were when they first shaved their legs.

I like that you can see the muscles more clearly when shaved and WOW what muscles!!!!!! ouch! PLus in a practical sense....if you got a partner that rides a lot a massage is really nice to share. ((and essential!)) I can massage my hubbies legs much easier with oils now without those hairs in the way. Hairy legs just hold the oil longer and that is kinda of messy.

I suppose it depends on the guy.....I think its very sexy... on the right guy..on a fast guy that is serious and means business.

SO ....next topic....should we talk about BIBS?????
<drool>

Originally posted by alicem
[
However, track sprinters are the epitomy of grossness for me...thighs are way out of kin to their overall body but that is a necessary evil.

Just pass over the Hincapies/Cipo's of this world and I am one happy girl!!!!

[/B]

My first time at the track was to watch the races. It was late. The track , ancient and in need of repair. I saw some familiar guys going up against these...monster quad people. Could they be real?? Guys with 'quad pants' on. like....quads for the quads. ...cartoonish, not human.
Track is a cultish underworld of biking . The creatures that abide there are almost gothic. They take pleasure in feeding on the pain of others. Spooky place. You can see the fog pouring in.

ah yes......In the world of cycling....some men do, indeed, have that thin, aero, build. NOt sickly thing but long and narrow.
They don't care if we like it or not. But truth be told, it is not unnattractive at all.....its just that they are not that great to draft behind.
:p come on and give me someone with some surface area so I can hitch a ride!!!

haha.

ok what is in this tea??

Originally posted by hemplands
I'm putting links to the web pages so you can see for yourselves.Just sit and enjoy!

I lingered on that italian site a while. ((gee I wonder why)) I am afraid I made one my screen saver.((till I get caught))
did you see that they had GIRLS??
I clicked to see what the itilian pro gals look like.

pro ITALIAN women cyclists. The shots are great.
send this to your men- biker friends. Ha!
CHICKS in LYCRA on FAST MACHINES

http://www.laborraccia.it/girls.asp

Originally posted by JuneBug
OH man. OH. It took me a while to get the idea that PINK was a very strong MACHO color for an Italian.

CIPPOLINI

CIPPOLINI

CIPPOLINI

He just...decides one day....maybe before his first important race, maybe that 24 hour race with the guys, maybe a first state championship, But he goes into the bathroom...takes a razor out...and then he jsut comes with baby smooth legs.
----------------------------

OK J.B I didn't delete Cipo from your post whilst repling....grinz.... the Love God's name still remains safe!!!!!

However, swimmers as you mentioned are well known for their pre race rituals. The most important being shaving hours before they get on the blocks. They train daily, years on end for up coming Olympics as their pinnacles for e.g and finally when they go into that water apparantly love the rush; the difference in slicing the water like a butter knife and get even more intimate (lol) with the water hence drive themselves harder and faster.

No joke! If it works for 'Mr Torpedo' it is all well and good by me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (although I would like to add that the same practice isn't in place with our fellow women swimmers.....ha ha ha~urgh~.........

Oh, and may I add something; 'Le Travastie' who started this thread need not respond (check your dictionary mate!)

Got to sign off with my selfishly loving Boogerd smilie....a current source of stupid pleasure and laughter to those who don't know me) at how akin their teeth are!

:D Alice ***

O.K, I am holding onto my chair as was about to fall off it...you were 1 metre away? Sh*te!!!!!! Personally I would have ridden up 5 or so in front and then locked on my brakes and fell so Cipo could be there as he no doubt would to aid me to *wake up...lol* Bu%ger!..........that is the girlie part of me talking and at the end of the day; big deal, we all appraise Cipo's frame! ~shaking head and getting to grips with the post~

hi Alice

I was also lucky enough to be at the Aqua Sapone bus which was used for the Italian team. I actually touched the tiger skin suit which me wore for the prologue of the Giro in Holland. It was so tiny the mind boggles how he got in it. he must have been poured in , and I also got some great posters as well.

Please don´t flirt with us guys when we´re riding : getting a stiffie on those saddles really hurts .

Originally posted by el Inglés
Please don´t flirt with us guys when we´re riding : getting a stiffie on those saddles really hurts .

get a Terry Saddle with the hole in the center!!

:eek:

It may be trying to snow outside here in Uk at the moment but I feel the sun has been shining all day.

Great News, Mario is in the Tour de France, they've let the team in with the wild cards.

Its a pity that the teams colours have changed to plain black shorts, all the wonderful definition is going to be missing.

~sobbing re black shorts~ But, hell yeah, CIPO is in! Oh boy what a fun start to the TDF us girls are going to have!!!!

Originally posted by JuneBug
get a Terry Saddle with the hole in the center!!

:eek:

FWIW, as comfy as my Terry saddle is I doubt I'd fit down the middle of that. The thought of what would happen if I took a tumble while so entangled makes my eyes water (in a bad way).

Come to think of it I've busted the front seam on a pair of shorts as a result of letting my mind wander on a hot sunny day. Quite embarrasing, but thankfully close to home. :)