LAKE Bikes

SumMaleSpecimen

Jun 5, 2005
I'm in the market for a good bike in the 350-450 range. Right now, I own a Specialized Hard Rock Sport but I'm looking to upgrade. I like the K2 Zeds alot. However, I have found a brand of bikes called "LAKE" on e-bay. They're sharp rides. Good Shimano XT Components, Kore and Titec Stem and bars, full suspension (Noleen something or other in the rear) and I'm not sure of the front fork, disc brakes....all in all, they look like quality, well made bikes. However, the fact they're going for around 350 to 450 (claimed 800 new...) makes me wonder about them. I can't seem to find much about them on the internet. Does anyone know anything about these rides?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7160015816&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

I wouldnt touch it unless someone here can tell me different. The rear suspension design (mainly the rear swingarm) is outdated and heavy. Looks like a Mongoose type deal. Not good. And seven speed components? No way. Buyer beware if ya ask me.

SumMaleSpecimen said:
I'm in the market for a good bike in the 350-450 range. Right now, I own a Specialized Hard Rock Sport but I'm looking to upgrade. I like the K2 Zeds alot. However, I have found a brand of bikes called "LAKE" on e-bay. They're sharp rides. Good Shimano XT Components, Kore and Titec Stem and bars, full suspension (Noleen something or other in the rear) and I'm not sure of the front fork, disc brakes....all in all, they look like quality, well made bikes. However, the fact they're going for around 350 to 450 (claimed 800 new...) makes me wonder about them. I can't seem to find much about them on the internet. Does anyone know anything about these rides?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7160015816&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1#ebayphotohosting
I have a pair of Lake cycling shoes, I don't think that lake (http://www.lakecycling.com/) make bikes though.

Good shoes :).

i wouldnt buy it personally...but if your not planning on going crazy on hills or jumping then go for it but other wize...i wouldnt trust the rear suspension,...or the front for that matter, and the frame looks a little scary...i preffer brand names

~Scott

My lake shoes are also good, but I think you may have stumped us the lettering on the bike kinda looks like on my shoes but I not sure.

I did an Internet search and couldn't find Lake either. Raises a red flag for me if this is a 2005 frame and cannot be found on the Internet. Expecially when a 2005 frame is equipped with Shimano 7-speed components. Sounds early 90s and equipped with a no-named 8 inch travel front fork with 4 inches of rear travel. I would suspect the bike won't feel too well balanced with this set up. Like the others, I have concerns.

Lake is a very small company, different from the shoes. They don't have a website or shop, just done very small on ebay. They are good bikes, frames have very nice designs, the uniqe design is what got me into buying one- an LQ003. The picture I put in is a little different than current. I actually have been thinking of selling it, let me know if your interested. If you want some more info email me, [email protected]

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/3385/imag00203ku.jpg

SumMaleSpecimen said:

Ya, I bought one of those bikes on ebay. The unique design caught my eye. I have not found anything on the web other than ebay itself. The look decent concerning the components. Bought it last week. I kind of wondered about them too. But they seem to be ok bikes. The price is unbelievable!

Hombre said:
Lake is a very small company, different from the shoes. They don't have a website or shop, just done very small on ebay. They are good bikes, frames have very nice designs, the uniqe design is what got me into buying one- an LQ003. The picture I put in is a little different than current. I actually have been thinking of selling it, let me know if your interested. If you want some more info email me, [email protected]

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/3385/imag00203ku.jpg
wow that looks like a minter, i'll bet its light weight and i bet that suspension system is pretty up to date and pedals brilliantly... honestly who gives a **** what components are on it, look at the frames, to me frames are the most important thing, most companys make well spec'ed bikes after frame.. wheels and then componentry oh and suspension is up there esp. with a full susp. bike. whats the point in buying a cheapass outdated heavy design thats going to be so much slower than a hardtail which will generally be cheaper with the same or better components.

go ahead and buy it, you will regret it when you eventually ride a real full suspension bike.

moparchris said:
wow that looks like a minter, i'll bet its light weight and i bet that suspension system is pretty up to date and pedals brilliantly... honestly who gives a **** what components are on it, look at the frames, to me frames are the most important thing, most companys make well spec'ed bikes after frame.. wheels and then componentry oh and suspension is up there esp. with a full susp. bike. whats the point in buying a cheapass outdated heavy design thats going to be so much slower than a hardtail which will generally be cheaper with the same or better components.

go ahead and buy it, you will regret it when you eventually ride a real full suspension bike.
It really isn't that great of a bike, you know for down hill use, X-county... trail maybe. I am soon going to upgrade to a Giant Faith or something later on. This will just get me by. Wasn't looking for a real expensive bike at that sort. The frame is aluminum. I looked at all that. I noticed the rear swing arm was a bit old, but it is ok even though the price is to wonder about, just to get around and stuff.

Stale Tunasalad said:
It really isn't that great of a bike, you know for down hill use, X-county... trail maybe. I am soon going to upgrade to a Giant Faith or something later on. This will just get me by. Wasn't looking for a real expensive bike at that sort. The frame is aluminum. I looked at all that. I noticed the rear swing arm was a bit old, but it is ok even though the price is to wonder about, just to get around and stuff.
don't waste ur $$

u might as well get a respected brand hardtail...

who know what the geometry is like with these bikes....

u can't even sit on em