Lake District Off-Road

Peter B

Guest
FYI had a great weekend last week with www.cycleactive.co.uk in the Lake District. We had plenty of
technical tracks, adrenalin raising downhills and beautiful scenery. Also had plenty of rain but the
fact we enjoyed ourselves so much despite being drenched speaks volumes. They try to tailor the
rides according to the groups ability so don't be over concerned on this score. Loads of tea,
coffee, cakes and hospitality post-ride at Meadowbanks Hotel in Ambleside.

Pete

In article <[email protected]>, Peter B wrote:
> FYI had a great weekend last week with www.cycleactive.co.uk in the Lake District. We had plenty
> of technical tracks, adrenalin raising downhills and beautiful scenery. Also had plenty of rain
> but the fact we enjoyed ourselves so much despite being drenched speaks volumes. They try to
> tailor the rides according to the groups ability so don't be over concerned on this score. Loads
> of tea, coffee, cakes and hospitality post-ride at Meadowbanks Hotel in Ambleside.

Sounds good. I'll have to stir myself into going on something like that. I seem to have got into a
rut, just doing short local rides. I was just thinking about High Street this morning and trying to
work out how long it was since we rode it. I've had a quick look at the site. Was your weekend a
Classic or Classic Plus?

--
John Murf

"John Murf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Sounds good. I'll have to stir myself into going on something like that. I seem to have got into a
> rut, just doing short local rides. I was just thinking about High Street this morning and trying
> to work out how long it was since we rode it. I've had a quick look at the site. Was your weekend
> Classic or Classic Plus?

A Classic, John. Headed out over Loughrigg then west of Windermere around Grasmere, Coniston area
and on second day a similar area but taking in Grizedale. While this may have not been particularly
high it provided a lot of climbs/descents on technical tracks in a compact area and due to limited
vis going higher wouldn't have offered any more. However, we are planning to go back and perhaps
ride High Street if vis is better. One of our party who'd never been to The Lakes before was a
little disappointed at not seeing more but this was weather related.

Pete

In article <[email protected]>, Peter B wrote:

> "John Murf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Sounds good. I'll have to stir myself into going on something like that. I seem to have got into
>> a rut, just doing short local rides. I was just thinking about High Street this morning and
>> trying to work out how long it was since we rode it. I've had a quick look at the site. Was your
>> weekend
>> Classic or Classic Plus?
>
> A Classic, John.

Thanks.

> Headed out over Loughrigg then west of Windermere around Grasmere, Coniston area and on second day
> a similar area but taking in Grizedale. While this may have not been particularly high it provided
> a lot of climbs/descents on technical tracks in a compact area and due to limited vis going higher
> wouldn't have offered any more. However, we are planning to go back and perhaps ride High Street
> if vis is better. One of our party who'd never been to The Lakes before was a little disappointed
> at not seeing more but this was weather related.

I have fond memories of rides in the Lakes that start in sunshine and end hours later in freezing
rain. Not a place to take too many chances, especially with mixed ability groups.

--
John Murf