Lake District Walk

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Michael S, Feb 17, 2004.

  1. Michael S

    Michael S Guest

    Hi There,

    My father and I are going to be doing a circular walk around the Lake District in a few weeks. The
    week-long walk will take us to the top of all Lakes peaks higher than 2500 feet, starting from
    Coniston and going in a clockwise direction, ending in Staveley.

    I was just wondering if anybody else had done this, or knew anybody that had, and had any
    comments/tips etc.

    Cheers in advance!

    Michael S

    Tags:

  2. Dave Brown

    Dave Brown Guest

    >My father and I are going to be doing a circular walk around the Lake District in a few weeks. The
    >week-long walk will take us to the top of all Lakes peaks higher than 2500 feet, starting from
    >Coniston and going in a clockwise direction, ending in Staveley.

    Whilst admiring your stamina and choice of venue I feel that in rushing around the 60 or so summits
    above 2500' you will miss the true beauty of the Cumbrian Fells.

    However , I wish you the best of luck.

    Dave All Wainwrights completed 74 Walks......763 miles......approx 200,000' of ascent to complete.
    At Heysham looking across Morecambe Bay to the Cumbrian Fells

  3. In message <[email protected]>, Dave Brown
    <[email protected]> writes
    >>My father and I are going to be doing a circular walk around the Lake District in a few weeks. The
    >>week-long walk will take us to the top of all Lakes peaks higher than 2500 feet, starting from
    >>Coniston and going in a clockwise direction, ending in Staveley.
    >
    >Whilst admiring your stamina and choice of venue I feel that in rushing around the 60 or so summits
    >above 2500' you will miss the true beauty of the Cumbrian Fells.

    Not as much as if they stayed at home...

    Out of interest, the route is clearly planned. Can the original poster tell us our of interest some
    little snippets like total length and total ascent?

    >However , I wish you the best of luck.
    >
    >Dave All Wainwrights completed 74 Walks......763 miles......approx 200,000' of ascent to complete.
    >At Heysham looking across Morecambe Bay to the Cumbrian Fells

    Oo you're a neighbour.

    --
    Michael Farthing cyclades Software House

  4. On 17 Feb 2004 15:11:30 GMT, [email protected] (Dave Brown)
    wrote:

    >Whilst admiring your stamina and choice of venue I feel that in rushing around the 60 or so summits
    >above 2500' you will miss the true beauty of the Cumbrian Fells.

    They're taking a week over it, doesn't sound particularly rushed to me.

  5. Michael S

    Michael S Guest

    Thanks for the replies guys. Although now living 'down south' I spent 10 years growing up living on
    the outskirts of the Lake District in Ulverston. My father lived in the region for 25 years and was
    a Lake District Warden and served in the Mountain Rescue, so we know the region quite well! Since
    leaving the region I have been back, on average, 5 or 6 times a year (still have relatives there).
    Although I do understand why you wouldn't recommend that 'newcomers' rush around, as you may leave
    without a real appreciation of the beauty!

    My father has done most of the actual planning, and has a large Excel spreadsheet with more detail
    than you could shake a stick at... Anyway, the gist of it is this: total distance travelled will be
    121.5 miles, total cumulative ascent will be 43869 feet. These are conservative figures, and are
    likely to be longer/higher, as they assume straight lines between waypoints etc...

    If you have any more Q's dont hesitate to ask!

    By the way, is this kind of walk quite 'common'?

    Regards,

    Michael S

  6. In message <f1b7a803.0402180107.3[email protected]>, Michael S
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Thanks for the replies guys. Although now living 'down south' I spent 10 years growing up living on
    >the outskirts of the Lake District in Ulverston. My father lived in the region for 25 years and was
    >a Lake District Warden and served in the Mountain Rescue, so we know the region quite well! Since
    >leaving the region I have been back, on average, 5 or 6 times a year (still have relatives there).
    >Although I do understand why you wouldn't recommend that 'newcomers' rush around, as you may leave
    >without a real appreciation of the beauty!
    >
    >My father has done most of the actual planning, and has a large Excel spreadsheet with more detail
    >than you could shake a stick at... Anyway, the gist of it is this: total distance travelled will be
    >121.5 miles, total cumulative ascent will be 43869 feet. These are conservative figures, and are
    >likely to be longer/higher, as they assume straight lines between waypoints etc...

    Hmmm - well in my younger days I might have thought of doing this.. (thought, note, not actually
    done so). Nowadays I wouldn't even think of it. I work it out as over 17 miles and 6000 feet per
    day. Roger Chapman would of course think this was a mere nothing...

    BTW are you camping too?

    >If you have any more Q's dont hesitate to ask!
    >
    >By the way, is this kind of walk quite 'common'?

    It certainly used to be. The once-famous Baguley guide to the Lake District (from before my time:
    around the 1930s/40s I think, but my inherited copy seems to be mislaid) had a section that listed
    various exploits of this kind (and worse, as it were).

    Well, good luck with it.

    --
    Michael Farthing cyclades Software House

  7. Tom

    Tom Guest

    [email protected] (Michael S) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Thanks for the replies guys. Although now living 'down south' I spent 10 years growing up living
    > on the outskirts of the Lake District in Ulverston. My father lived in the region for 25 years and
    > was a Lake District Warden and served in the Mountain Rescue, so we know the region quite well!
    > Since leaving the region I have been back, on average, 5 or 6 times a year (still have relatives
    > there). Although I do understand why you wouldn't recommend that 'newcomers' rush around, as you
    > may leave without a real appreciation of the beauty!
    >
    > My father has done most of the actual planning, and has a large Excel spreadsheet with more detail
    > than you could shake a stick at... Anyway, the gist of it is this: total distance travelled will
    > be 121.5 miles, total cumulative ascent will be 43869 feet. These are conservative figures, and
    > are likely to be longer/higher, as they assume straight lines between waypoints etc...
    >
    > If you have any more Q's dont hesitate to ask!

    Hi Mike I have 2 questions:
    1. At which point during your walk will you have cumulatively climbed the height of Everest?
    2. Do you have any experience of walking with a Cerro Torre rucksack (specifically, the Delta65)?
    Good luck with your walk! Tom

    > By the way, is this kind of walk quite 'common'?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Michael S

  8. Roger

    Roger Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from Michael Farthing <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > Hmmm - well in my younger days I might have thought of doing this.. (thought, note, not actually
    > done so). Nowadays I wouldn't even think of it. I work it out as over 17 miles and 6000 feet per
    > day. Roger Chapman would of course think this was a mere nothing...

    Not so. I have never found 6000 feet of ascent in a day particularly easy and while I have done
    double that in a day occasionally (in the dim and distant past) I doubt whether I would ever have
    been able to sustain 6000 per day for anywhere near a week. The closest comparison I can make is the
    Scottish 4000s (85 miles but only 17000 feet of ascent) which took me a bit over 5 days. However I
    was totally exhausted when I set out on that and had to contend with some unseasonal snow conditions
    as well so probably not representative of me in my prime.

    --

    Roger

  9. Michael S

    Michael S Guest

    Thanks for the reply Michael.

    Yes, it will be quite strenuous... Still, we're both very fit (my dad used to think that running the
    40-odd mile Keswick to Barrow race was a light workout!).

    We will be camping... either wild or in campsites if were in the vicinity of one at the end of the
    day. We've done plenty of hard 'weekend' walking on the cumbrian fells, sometimes covering 40 miles
    over 2 long summer days, without too much aching etc. (and I had taken my ancient medium format
    camera with me, and that weighs a tonne!). This week-walk just seemed like a logical progression...

    All this talking about it makes me want to start tomorrow!

    Cheers again for the info!

    Regards,

    Michael S