Lake District

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Michellotus2100, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. Hello all,

    I want to go backpacking this summer(august)in the Lake District. Does anyone have good tips on what
    to go check out and what not?

    Bye,

    Michel http://www.walkingbritain.info

    Tags:

  2. >I want to go backpacking this summer(august)in the Lake District. Does anyone have good tips on
    >what to go check out and what not?

    Ummm - there are some pretty good hills, some lakes, quite a few good pubs etc. How about checking
    them out. Sorry about that - couldnt resist. To be serious - climb Blencathra in the early morning
    on a bright day. The whole district is spread out before you and the view is absolutely magnificent.
    --
    Graham Ransom. If you want to reply by email, please put ransoms at jandg dot demon dot co dot uk
    where you see [email protected]

  3. Mark Manning

    Mark Manning Guest

    michellotus2100 no spam <"michellotus2100 no spam "@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > I want to go backpacking this summer(august)in the Lake District. Does anyone have good tips on
    > what to go check out and what not?

    When I wrote a similar post about walking in France, one of my kind respondants said my request
    was vague; I now understand what he means!

    Unless you're intending point-to-point backpacking, I'd suggest using Ambleside as a base for a
    first visit to the Lakes. (I always recommend this to colleagues, and no-one's complained yet!)
    There's lots of walking at all levels from the town itself, and easy access to Langdale and
    Patterdale. Should you feel like a change from walking, go to the cinema, or take a boat trip
    on Windermere. Plenty of choices of eating places and accommodation, and you're very much in
    the centre of the district, with at most a two-hour journey to the most remote hill.

    I don't think there's a better guide to the Lake District than the seven-volume series by
    Wainwright (hills you can get to direct from Ambleside appear in books 1, 2 and 3). But you may
    prefer a more modern one-volume guidebook; both Bob Allen and the Fell and Rock Club have
    produced good ones.

    Hope this is useful! If you're going to the Lakes for the first time, you're in for a real
    treat; I envy you the joy of discovering the area.

    Mark
    --
    Mark Manning [email protected]

  4. Bob Mannix

    Bob Mannix Guest

    "Mark Manning" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > michellotus2100 no spam <"michellotus2100 no spam "@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > > I want to go backpacking this summer(august)in the Lake District. Does anyone have good tips on
    > > what to go check out and what not?
    >
    > When I wrote a similar post about walking in France, one of my kind respondants said my
    > request was vague; I now understand what he means!
    >
    > Unless you're intending point-to-point backpacking, I'd suggest using Ambleside as a base for
    > a first visit to the Lakes. (I always recommend this to colleagues, and no-one's complained
    > yet!) There's lots of walking at all levels from the town itself, and easy access to Langdale
    > and Patterdale. Should you feel like a change from walking, go to the cinema, or take a boat
    > trip on Windermere. Plenty of choices of eating places and accommodation, and you're very
    > much in the centre of the
    district,
    > with at most a two-hour journey to the most remote hill.

    Keswick makes a good alternative and it's (a bit) quieter than Ambleside, which makes it nicer IMHO.
    There's loads of walking/boating from the town.

    Better still, make two trips and stay at both.

    --
    Bob Mannix (anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

  5. Dave Brown

    Dave Brown Guest

    >michellotus2100 no spam <"michellotus2100 no spam "@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >> I want to go backpacking this summer(august)in the Lake District. Does anyone have good tips on
    >> what to go check out and what not?

    If it's your first time in the Lakes maybe the best way of seeing it from South to North could be
    following the Cumbria Way. Dave All Wainwrights completed 74 Walks......763 miles......approx
    200,000' of ascent to complete. At Heysham looking across Morecambe Bay to the Cumbrian Fells