Lake District

David Waters

Guest
I have just come back from a one week surveying trip up in
the Lake District (Patterdale if anyone is interested and
knows the area) and all I can say is WOW! I have never had a
chance to go there before, but now I have, I definitely want
to go back. The only trouble is getting there by public
transport from Manchester with a bike, but I'm sure there is
a way around that. It looks superb for cycling on roads.

"David Waters" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have just come back from a one week surveying trip up
> in the Lake District (Patterdale if anyone is interested
> and knows the area) and all I can say is WOW! I have
> never had a chance to go there before, but now I have, I
> definitely want to go back. The only trouble is getting
> there by public transport from Manchester with a bike,
> but I'm sure there is a way around that. It looks superb
> for cycling on roads.

Train to Windermere, change at Oxenholme Bus to Ambleside
Bus to Penrith

Train to Penrith maybe easier, but haven't done that.

--
Mike W

VisionSet wrote:

> Train to Windermere, change at Oxenholme Bus to Ambleside
> Bus to Penrith

Do the buses now carry bikes - they didn't use to but
perhaps they've changed?

Tony

> VisionSet wrote:
> >
> > Train to Windermere, change at Oxenholme Bus to
> > Ambleside Bus to Penrith
> >

> Do the buses now carry bikes - they didn't use to but
> perhaps they've
changed?

Doh! No I doubt it, I was in my default 'giveing directions
to climbers' mode. Still, a gentle ride on the flat up to
Ambleside and you'd be nicely warmed up for Kirkstone Pass!

--
Mike W

David Waters wrote:
> I have just come back from a one week surveying trip up
> in the Lake District (Patterdale if anyone is interested
> and knows the area) and all I can say is WOW! I have
> never had a chance to go there before, but now I have, I
> definitely want to go back. The only trouble is getting
> there by public transport from Manchester with a bike,
> but I'm sure there is a way around that. It looks superb
> for cycling on roads.

There is a route that someone put on the net covering most
of the major passes in a 100 mile ride. I had it printed out
somewhere but I can't find it right now. There is also a
sponsored ride, 114miles organised by one of the clubs, see
www.barrieclarke.net

There are many loops one can do in the area, it gets busy in
the summer though

in message <%6Abc.1735$%[email protected]>, VisionSet
('[email protected]') wrote:

> "David Waters" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>> I have just come back from a one week surveying trip up
>> in the Lake District (Patterdale if anyone is interested
>> and knows the area) and all I can say is WOW! I have
>> never had a chance to go there before, but now I have, I
>> definitely want to go back. The only trouble is getting
>> there by public transport from Manchester with a bike,
>> but I'm sure there is a way around that. It looks superb
>> for cycling on roads.
>
> Train to Windermere, change at Oxenholme Bus to Ambleside
> Bus to Penrith
>
> Train to Penrith maybe easier, but haven't done that.

Train to Penrith, nice run up the side of Ullswater, then
straight up the Kirkstone Pass. Then, of course, straight
down the other side of the Kirkstone into Ambleside. Last
time I did that on a push bike I overtook an e-type Jag
which most definitely didn't want to be overtaken. I also
wore out a brand new (fitted the previous day) set of brake
pads - the shortest lifetime of any set of brakepads I've
ever owned.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke)
http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/ ;; This email may contain

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 17:15:23 +0100,
VisionSet <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
>> VisionSet wrote:
>> >
>> > Train to Windermere, change at Oxenholme Bus to
>> > Ambleside Bus to Penrith
>> >

>> Do the buses now carry bikes - they didn't use to but
>> perhaps they've
> changed?
>>

> Doh! No I doubt it, I was in my default 'giveing
> directions to climbers' mode. Still, a gentle ride on the
> flat up to Ambleside and you'd be nicely warmed up for
> Kirkstone Pass!

Followed by a climb up Wrynose then Hardknott. Stop for
lunch then Honister and you'll be back in time for tea.

I made the big mistake of stopping to take some pictures on
the way up Wrynose. DON'T! I reckon it took me about 10
minutes to get started again. Why is it when you absolutely
have to clip in instantly your foot always misses?

I started and ended in Pooley Bridge. Total distance 102
miles and took 10h 20mins (including stops), 7h 42 mins
of cycling. (Total climbing 3351m, descending 3369m
according to GPS)

Tim.

--
God said, "div D = rho, div B = 0, curl E = - @B/@t, curl H