Lake Michigan Tourists????

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Ben, Apr 3, 2003.

  1. Ben

    Ben New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    Fellow bent tourers,

    I'm going to be taking a road tour around Lake Michigan late in the spring. But I worry a bit about navigating the industrial area of Gary and Hammond, Indiana. I'll be on my way around the bottom of the lake toward Chicago.

    Has anyone taken that route before? Is is advisable?

    Thanks for any assistance you might provide.

    Tailwinds,
    Ben

    Tags:

  2. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Fellow bent tourers,
    >
    > I'm going to be taking a road tour around Lake Michigan late in the spring. But I worry a bit
    > about navigating the industrial area of Gary and Hammond, Indiana. I'll be on my way around the
    > bottom of the lake toward Chicago.
    >
    > Has anyone taken that route before? Is is advisable?
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance you might provide.

    You will probably get the best advice on routing if you ask it to the touring mailing list. Touring
    mailing list [email protected] You can subscribe here: http://phred.org/mailman/listinfo/touring
    Browse and search the archives: http://search.bikelist.org

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Ben wrote:

    > Fellow bent tourers,
    >
    > I'm going to be taking a road tour around Lake Michigan late in the spring. But I worry a bit
    > about navigating the industrial area of Gary and Hammond, Indiana. I'll be on my way around the
    > bottom of the lake toward Chicago.
    >
    > Has anyone taken that route before? Is is advisable?
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance you might provide.

    Ben,

    Take a shortcut across the lake. ;) < http://www.shuttlebike.com/ >

  4. Carl

    Carl Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Ben <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Fellow bent tourers,
    >
    > I'm going to be taking a road tour around Lake Michigan late in the spring. But I worry a bit
    > about navigating the industrial area of Gary and Hammond, Indiana. I'll be on my way around the
    > bottom of the lake toward Chicago.

    You might try contacting the Chicago Bike Federation: http://www.chibikefed.org/

    They maintain a map with good bike routes for the greater Chicago area and might have some advice
    for getting through the south side and NW Indiana.

    That area is much better than it used to be, but I don't think it has improved enough that I'd get
    off the highway through there on purpose. There may be a ferry you can catch that will take you up
    to Chicaog, or you can see if the South Shore electric train will let you take your bike. That would
    get you through the troubled parts pretty quickly.

    -Carl

  5. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Hi Ben,

    Back in 1968 I took a bicycle trip around Lakes Michigan and Superior. It was a solo bicycle trip
    and I was 16 years old at the time. Traffic around the part of Lake Michigan you are referring to
    was awesome then. I think it is much more intense now. So I avoided that part. At the time there was
    a ferry which crossed Lake Michigangoing from Milwaukee, WI to Ludington,
    Mi. I elected that option. It was an 8 hour ferry ride.

    I don't think that particular ferry route is available anymore. However I believe there is a ferry
    from Mantowoc, WI to Ludington, MI.

    I hope you enjoy your trip. It was sure enjoyable taking it during 1968.

    Jim Ek

    P.S. I don't know how much research you've done. Bicycles are not allowed on the Mackinac Bridge.
    Your options are contacting the Bridge authorities and having them take you across, or
    possibly you could take a Ferry from Mackinaw City to Mackinac Island, and then another ferry
    from Mackinac Island to St. Ignace which is on the upper peninsula of Michigan. The ferries to
    the islands are a very short trip....maybe 1/2 hour.

    "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Fellow bent tourers,
    >
    > I'm going to be taking a road tour around Lake
    Michigan late in the
    > spring. But I worry a bit about navigating the
    industrial area of Gary
    > and Hammond, Indiana. I'll be on my way around
    the bottom of the lake
    > toward Chicago.
    >
    > Has anyone taken that route before? Is is
    advisable?

    > Thanks for any assistance you might provide.
    >
    > Tailwinds, Ben

  6. Devon

    Devon Guest

    Sounds like there is another ferry option beginning this spring, running from St Joseph MI to
    Chicago. No clue whether they will offer bicycle service, as it is a high-speed passenger ferry.

    http://pub69.ezboard.com/fmichigansoutdoorforumsfrm1.showMessage?topicID=322.topic

    "Jim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi Ben,
    >
    > Back in 1968 I took a bicycle trip around Lakes Michigan and Superior. It was a solo bicycle trip
    > and I was 16 years old at the time. Traffic around the part of Lake Michigan you are referring to
    > was awesome then. I think it is much more intense now. So I avoided that part. At the time there
    > was a ferry which crossed Lake Michigangoing from Milwaukee, WI to Ludington,
    > Mi. I elected that option. It was an 8 hour ferry ride.
    >
    > I don't think that particular ferry route is available anymore. However I believe there is a ferry
    > from Mantowoc, WI to Ludington, MI.
    >
    > I hope you enjoy your trip. It was sure enjoyable taking it during 1968.
    >
    > Jim Ek
    >
    > P.S. I don't know how much research you've done. Bicycles are not allowed on the Mackinac Bridge.
    > Your options are contacting the Bridge authorities and having them take you across, or
    > possibly you could take a Ferry from Mackinaw City to Mackinac Island, and then another
    > ferry from Mackinac Island to St. Ignace which is on the upper peninsula of Michigan. The
    > ferries to the islands are a very short trip....maybe 1/2 hour.
    >

    > "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Fellow bent tourers,
    > >
    > > I'm going to be taking a road tour around Lake
    > Michigan late in the
    > > spring. But I worry a bit about navigating the
    > industrial area of Gary
    > > and Hammond, Indiana. I'll be on my way around
    > the bottom of the lake
    > > toward Chicago.
    > >
    > > Has anyone taken that route before? Is is
    > advisable?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any assistance you might provide.
    > >
    > > Tailwinds, Ben
    > >

    > > --

  7. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Wow, this looks great. Wonder if this would work on my rans Tailwind.

    Jim Ek

    RANS Tailwind Penninger Voyager

    > Ben wrote:
    > >
    > > Fellow bent tourers,
    > >
    > > I'm going to be taking a road tour around Lake
    Michigan late in the
    > > spring. But I worry a bit about navigating the
    industrial area of Gary
    > > and Hammond, Indiana. I'll be on my way around
    the bottom of the lake
    > > toward Chicago.
    > >
    > > Has anyone taken that route before? Is is
    advisable?

    > > Thanks for any assistance you might provide.
    >
    > Ben,
    >
    > Take a shortcut across the lake. ;) < http://www.shuttlebike.com/ >

  8. M..Leuck

    M..Leuck Guest

    I would recommend starting from lower Michigan instead of the Chicago area. Gary is one of the worst
    cities in the country imo

    "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Fellow bent tourers,
    >
    > I'm going to be taking a road tour around Lake Michigan late in the spring. But I worry a bit
    > about navigating the industrial area of Gary and Hammond, Indiana. I'll be on my way around the
    > bottom of the lake toward Chicago.
    >
    > Has anyone taken that route before? Is is advisable?
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance you might provide.
    >
    > Tailwinds, Ben

  9. Avgrin

    Avgrin Guest

    B"H Hi Ben, I went around lake Michigan at the end of August 2001. I used a book "Round Lake
    Michigan: A Bicyclist's Tour Guide" by Harvey Botzman.
    http://www.allbookstores.com/browse/Author/Botzman,%20Harvey:2 I started in the Evanston, Illinois
    and went clockwise around the lake. I highly recommend a tour of Door Peninsula and instead of
    getting a ride by the authorities over the Mackinaw Bridge, take a speed ferry from San Ignace to
    the Mackinac Island. There you can take a nice ride around the circumference of the island and visit
    Fort Mackinac museum. From the island you take a speed ferry to Mackinaw City. From there I followed
    the trail till Muskegon. From there I went to Grand Rapids and returned to Ludington. There I took a
    ferry to Manitowoc, Wisconsin and rode back to Evanston. Besides visiting a relative in Grand
    Rapids, I really didn't care to ride around Gary, Indiana because is stinks. My family lives in
    Chicago, so while in college, I used to drive from Ithaca, NY and back through Gary four times a
    year and didn't like it much. So on a bike one would need to endure the stench five to six times
    longer. Also riding a fully loaded bike in South Chicago may not be safe. Have a great trip. Victor
    Houston, Texas

  10. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    It seems to me that one could ride the Shore Line from east of Gary into downtown. From there, you
    can ride along the lake on bike trails. Ask Ed Gin at Chicago Recumbents group about the details.

    I agree Gary is to be avoided. It looks like a war zone and I'm sure the bankruptcy of Bethlehem
    Steel has wreaked enough economic hardship to make it very dangerous.

    Other than that strip, It seems very doable.

    --
    Miles of Smiles,

    Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

    www.gate.net/~teblum