Lake MXZ301 vs. Northwave Celsius GTX

[email protected] wrote:
> Please, share with me your experience which winter shoe is the warmest.
> Lake MXZ301
> (http://www.lakecycling.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=MXZ301) or
> Northwave Celsius GTX (http://www.northwave.it/)?

I always got cold feet at temperatures below 5 degrees celcius after one
hour.....until I got the Northwave Celcius GTX. I'm very, very pleased
with them. I tossed the inner sole to get more 'play room' for my toes.
You have to keep in mind that water which get into these shoes stays in.
That is a very unpleasant feeling. You could drill a drain hole though.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

Lou Holtman wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Please, share with me your experience which winter shoe is the warmest.
> > Lake MXZ301
> > (http://www.lakecycling.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=MXZ301) or
> > Northwave Celsius GTX (http://www.northwave.it/)?
> >

> I always got cold feet at temperatures below 5 degrees celcius after one
> hour.....until I got the Northwave Celcius GTX. I'm very, very pleased
> with them. I tossed the inner sole to get more 'play room' for my toes.
> You have to keep in mind that water which get into these shoes stays in.
> That is a very unpleasant feeling. You could drill a drain hole though.
>
> Lou
> --
> Posted by news://news.nb.nu

Thanks for the answer, right now I am thinking which shoes I should buy
for the coming winter. My present winter shoes is Gaerne Eskimo, I do
not like this shoes - too narrow fit.

[email protected] wrote:
> Lou Holtman wrote:
>
>>[email protected] wrote:
>>
>>>Please, share with me your experience which winter shoe is the warmest.
>>> Lake MXZ301
>>>(http://www.lakecycling.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=MXZ301) or
>>>Northwave Celsius GTX (http://www.northwave.it/)?
>>>

>>I always got cold feet at temperatures below 5 degrees celcius after one
>>hour.....until I got the Northwave Celcius GTX. I'm very, very pleased
>>with them. I tossed the inner sole to get more 'play room' for my toes.
>>You have to keep in mind that water which get into these shoes stays in.
>>That is a very unpleasant feeling. You could drill a drain hole though.
>>
>>Lou
>>--
>>Posted by news://news.nb.nu

> Thanks for the answer, right now I am thinking which shoes I should buy
> for the coming winter. My present winter shoes is Gaerne Eskimo, I do
> not like this shoes - too narrow fit.

Exactly. I used the Gaerne Polar and I didn't like them either fitwise.
To narrow and the didn't fit round my ankles. If you plan to buy the
Northwaves go to a shop that has all the sizes. Fit is very important,
you have to have room around the toes and the shoes still have to fit
nicely around the heel. Try them with and without the inner soles. That
can make the difference. The inner sole does nothing. Good luck.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

> Please, share with me your experience which winter shoe is the warmest.
> Lake MXZ301
> (http://www.lakecycling.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=MXZ301) or
> Northwave Celsius GTX (http://www.northwave.it/)?

I've not done a head-to-head comparison, never having even seen the
Northwave. But I've got the Lakes and like 'em a lot. Here in
Minnesota winter can be a bit chilly (although not so much any more- 8
of the 10 warmest winters on record have been in the last 10 years). I
find the Lakes are the difference between riding for 30 minutes and
riding for 2 hours at 25 degrees F.

[email protected] wrote:
> Please, share with me your experience which winter shoe is the warmest.
> Lake MXZ301
> (http://www.lakecycling.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=MXZ301) or
> Northwave Celsius GTX (http://www.northwave.it/)?

I have the Lakes and would recommend them. I can ride all day at 25F,
any lower and I start to feel it after a while, at which point I will
use toe warmers. Great lacing system. Whichever way you go, buy them a
size larger so the toe box has room, they will be warmer that way.

Chris

We have little bit colder here in Sweden, some days lower then -20ºC.

What do you think about this German test?
http://www.mountainbike-magazin.de/lake_mxz301.110217.htm;
http://www.mountainbike-magazin.de/northwave_celsiusgtx.110212.htm;
http://www.mountainbike-magazin.de/shimano_sh-mw02.110201.htm;
Is it a correct result? Shimano SH-MW02 is a winner of this test.

On 2006-09-16, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> Please, share with me your experience which winter shoe is the warmest.
> Lake MXZ301
> (http://www.lakecycling.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=MXZ301) or
> Northwave Celsius GTX (http://www.northwave.it/)?

I do not have Northwaves (and the web site is designed to be
unusable, and you did not give a straight link), so
no comments on these. I have Shimano W101 and Lake MXZ301.
Shimanos seem to be made for Japanese winter (0 deg C).
In Lakes, I feel OK down to maybe -10. Lakes are narrower
than Shimanos.

I really hate their "hi-tech" BOA lacing system; it is
just not reliable enough. It contains tiny screws, plastic
rachet, and some soft-metal pawls. I know that, because
that "great system" once got unscrewed and I had to collect
these small parts around - to my fortune this happend still
indoors! Conventional laces stay forever; what I'll do with
this ratchet when it stops working - I don't know.

What is really good in Lakes is that they are smooth from
the outside, without all these unnecessary stiches which
collect the show when you step in it.

Konstantin Shemyak

--
My self-made Luxeon III bike light:
http://konstantin.shemyak.com/cycling/Luxeon3W

http://www.northwave.it/inglese/prodotti_scheda.htm?nome_cat=Specials&nome_parent=shoes&id=271
is a strait link to the Northwave Celsius GTX.

After more and more Internet articles reading I began to trend to
Shimano SH-MW02.

[email protected] wrote:
> Please, share with me your experience which winter shoe is the warmest.
> Lake MXZ301
> (http://www.lakecycling.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=MXZ301) or
> Northwave Celsius GTX (http://www.northwave.it/)?

I have the older version of the Lake winter shoes/boots. From 1998 or
1999. My feet get cold in them. They delay the frozen toes for 30
minutes maybe. I use them with and without neoprene booties over them.
The cold toes are delayed a few minutes longer with the neoprene
booties. One thin wool sock, one thin fleece sock, thick wool socks,
etc. I've tried every combination of sock and nothing works. I'd love
to have my money back on these useless Lake winter shoes/boots. Riding
temps for the Lakes are usually in the upper 20s to mid 40s Fahrenheit.

My new winter cycling footwear of choice is Lake sandals with 3-4-5
layers of wool socks, all inside plastic bags to keep the wind off and
the warmth in. And a set of neoprene booties over this if I can find
some neoprene booties big enough. More wind protection.

Thank you everybody!

After reading of an article in "Velo" I am going for the Shimano
SH-MW02.

On 2006-09-18, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

> My new winter cycling footwear of choice is Lake sandals with 3-4-5
> layers of wool socks, all inside plastic bags to keep the wind off and
> the warmth in. And a set of neoprene booties over this if I can find
> some neoprene booties big enough. More wind protection.

For me booties over something light never worked. First, they have
an opening in the bottom, which transmits the cold perfectly. Second,
booties do not withstand walking - especially on rough ice. "Keeping
the wind off" is much more effective with something fully closed,
such as shoes. No winter shoe has unsufficient wind protection, so I
don't understand what you mean by "more" of it. 5 layers of wool socks
- do you really mean it? Did you try it? I presume this is a joke.

Konstantin Shemyak
--

Konstantin Shemyak <[email protected]> writes:

> On 2006-09-18, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> My new winter cycling footwear of choice is Lake sandals with 3-4-5
>> layers of wool socks, all inside plastic bags to keep the wind off and
>> the warmth in. And a set of neoprene booties over this if I can find
>> some neoprene booties big enough. More wind protection.

> For me booties over something light never worked. First, they have
> an opening in the bottom, which transmits the cold perfectly. Second,
> booties do not withstand walking - especially on rough ice. "Keeping
> the wind off" is much more effective with something fully closed,
> such as shoes. No winter shoe has unsufficient wind protection, so I
> don't understand what you mean by "more" of it. 5 layers of wool socks
> - do you really mean it? Did you try it? I presume this is a joke.

Americans riding in cold climates in the winter try all sorts of
things to keep their feet warm. There have been few available shoes
on the market here, even when they are available from European makers
the importers have not brought them into the U.S. I knew of three
that have become available in the past few years- Lake, Gaerne and
Sidi. I've not seen the Shimanos. There are a number of people who
have found the Lake (or Shimano) sandals useful in the winter, with
heavy insulating socks and SealSkinz or something like that for water
resistance.

If people are willing to forgo clipless pedals, however, there are a
lot more options available. Most "serious" riders tend to be devoted
to their clipless pedals, however, so that severely limits one's
options.

Konstantin's comments echo my own experience. I find booties to be an
ineffective approach since they (1) usually have a large open area on
the bottom of the sole and (2) tend to trap moisture, resulting in
wet, cold shoes after an hour's riding. I have found the Lake winter
boots to be very good for Minnesota winters.

There is some good information about winter riding to be found at
http://www.icebike.com.

Konstantin Shemyak wrote:
> On 2006-09-18, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > My new winter cycling footwear of choice is Lake sandals with 3-4-5
> > layers of wool socks, all inside plastic bags to keep the wind off and
> > the warmth in. And a set of neoprene booties over this if I can find
> > some neoprene booties big enough. More wind protection.

> For me booties over something light never worked. First, they have
> an opening in the bottom, which transmits the cold perfectly. Second,
> booties do not withstand walking - especially on rough ice. "Keeping
> the wind off" is much more effective with something fully closed,
> such as shoes. No winter shoe has unsufficient wind protection, so I
> don't understand what you mean by "more" of it. 5 layers of wool socks
> - do you really mean it? Did you try it? I presume this is a joke.

The Lake boot things don't work worth a damn. I've tried them with all
manner of socks and booties or not. They are worthless for anything
below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

New method to keep my feet warm. 3 or 4 or 5 layers of wool socks.
First layers are thin. Next layers are medium. Outer layers are
thick. Different size socks so they are not stretching too much on the
outer layers. Then a plastic bag over the feet and socks. Then tights
with zipper openings at the ankles so the tops of the plastic bags are
sealed against any wind taking the warmth out of the wool insulation.
Then put your feet into SPD sandals. Straps adjusted loose enough to
get over the larger wool clad feet. Then for the fun of it to provide
even more wind protection, put some extra extra large neoprene booties
over the sandals. Then go ride using your SPD pedals. Works fine.
Lots of insulation from the layers of wool. Lots of wind protection to
keep the heat in from the plastic bags and neoprene booties.

In your part of Europe you have never seen people wearing sandals with
wool socks? Many years ago when I was in Europe this was a common
enough sight.

As for walking in booties, mine have held up well enough from the
minimal walking I do in them. When I ride, I ride. I don't put on my
cycling shoes to go for a walk. Especially not in winter.

[email protected] writes:

> Konstantin Shemyak wrote:
>> On 2006-09-18, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > My new winter cycling footwear of choice is Lake sandals with 3-4-5
>> > layers of wool socks, all inside plastic bags to keep the wind off and
>> > the warmth in. And a set of neoprene booties over this if I can find
>> > some neoprene booties big enough. More wind protection.

>> For me booties over something light never worked. First, they have
>> an opening in the bottom, which transmits the cold perfectly. Second,
>> booties do not withstand walking - especially on rough ice. "Keeping
>> the wind off" is much more effective with something fully closed,
>> such as shoes. No winter shoe has unsufficient wind protection, so I
>> don't understand what you mean by "more" of it. 5 layers of wool socks
>> - do you really mean it? Did you try it? I presume this is a joke.

> The Lake boot things don't work worth a damn. I've tried them with all
> manner of socks and booties or not. They are worthless for anything
> below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

YMMV. I have the Lake MXZ-101s from two years back, and they are
great in the winter here in Minnesota. As I said in another post,
they are the difference between a 30 minute ride and a two hour ride
in the winter. I find them comfortable for rides of any distance at
40F to rides of about 1 hour at 25F. I only did that to test
them- I personally rarely ride when it's below 30F. I am prone to
feeling cold in my feet, so this has always been the limiter for
winter riding for me.

In terms of sizing, I wear size 48 Lake shoes during the warm weather
and bought size 48 winter shoes. They are sized slightly more
generously. I wear one pair of Wigwam or SmartWool hiking socks with
a fleecy inside. If the shoes are laced too tight or the socks are
too thick, blood flow is impaired and my feet get cold.

For me the Lakes have been excellent, one of the best purchases I have
made for cycling apparel (along with my Showers Pass rain jacket).

> New method to keep my feet warm. 3 or 4 or 5 layers of wool socks.
> First layers are thin. Next layers are medium. Outer layers are
> thick. Different size socks so they are not stretching too much on the
> outer layers. Then a plastic bag over the feet and socks. Then tights
> with zipper openings at the ankles so the tops of the plastic bags are
> sealed against any wind taking the warmth out of the wool insulation.
> Then put your feet into SPD sandals. Straps adjusted loose enough to
> get over the larger wool clad feet. Then for the fun of it to provide
> even more wind protection, put some extra extra large neoprene booties
> over the sandals. Then go ride using your SPD pedals. Works fine.
> Lots of insulation from the layers of wool. Lots of wind protection to
> keep the heat in from the plastic bags and neoprene booties.

Looks like Mickey Mouse's feet, but if it works for you then do it.
They're your feet, make 'em happy! Personally I find the Lake sandals
that are made with the Shimano sole to be too narrow to wear a heavy
sock. The sides of the sole are poorly designed and are very
bathtub-like. Fine for warm weather riding barefoot or with a cycling
sock, but I'd never be able to use your approach with my sandals.

> In your part of Europe you have never seen people wearing sandals with
> wool socks? Many years ago when I was in Europe this was a common
> enough sight.
>
> As for walking in booties, mine have held up well enough from the
> minimal walking I do in them. When I ride, I ride. I don't put on my
> cycling shoes to go for a walk. Especially not in winter.

But you are more likely to end up walking on a winter ride, at least
here in Minnesota, due to ice and snow.

In article <[email protected]>,
Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have the Lake MXZ-101s from two years back

Sorry, I screwed up that model number didn't I? Let me go look at the
darn things... <down to the basement and back, hum the "Jeopardy" theme
song to pass the time>... MXZ-300 is correct. Laces with a storm flap
with two Velcro straps.

My summer road shoes are Lake MX-101 which are a casual-ish MTB shoe and
hence the confusion. These have held up well for four years, but the
sole seems to have slowly deformed from my weight on the pedals.