Lake Taupo ride NZ

luke1972

Apr 21, 2003
Hi,

Anyone done the lake Taupo ride in November in NZ (160km, 320km or 500km "fun ride").

I hear they get about 10,000 riders and it is one of the biggest events in the southern hemisphere.

I am thinking of doing it this year, but would like to hear from anyone else who has done it. What are the chances of getting accomodation (if there is 10,000 people).

Also coming from oz, I was thinking of riding down to Taupo (7 to 10 days) via Coramandel, hot water beach, rotorua. Would this be nice route?

Any help appreciated.

:) Luke

Spent some time cycling round NZ 2002/2003. We cycled out of Auckland (Parnell) on the coast road which is okay, but then got a bit lost in the 'burbs. The road maps aren't great for built up areas. You might want to get a bus/train somewhere to start off. We cysled round the sea-bird coast to Coromandel, spending a couple of leisurely weeks there. Avoid the SH1 down to Tauranga - it's very busy (big lorries) so not v. pleasant. From Tauranga, you can get to Rotorua via the Pyes Pa road; they were tarmac-ing the road when we were there, but it was still a quiet route.
Enjoy...

Hi,

I was wondering if someone can please tell me where to find additional information on The Lake Taupo ride or other road cycling events in new zealand.

Please email me links to [email protected].

Thanks in advance.
Belinda

Hi,

I was wondering if someone can please tell me where to find additional information on The Lake Taupo ride or other road cycling events in new zealand.

Please email me links to [email protected].

Thanks in advance.
Belinda

To obtain info for the taupo ride : www.cyclechallenge.com.
I am sure you will enjoy the experience.

To get out of Auckland the best thing is to take the train from downtown to Manurewa and then bike east to Clevedon and from there along the coast of the Firth of Thames. You will pass Miranda hotsprings with an excellent camping and a hot swim! Take the minor roads to Paeroa , from there you are on the main roads and at the mercy of the Kiwi drivers!

Good luck

Hi Luke, a couple of my friends did the taupo ride last year, thought it was great! Are keen to go again - 2006. Will send your post to them and have them reply! We're in Brisbane. are you going to bv wa ride in march?