Lakeshore Century

T

Thecyclist2002

My goal this year is to participate in, and finish, the Lakeshore Century which is held in
Northwest Indiana around the first weekend of September (it will be my first century). Has anybody
here ridden in it? What can I expect in way of terrain? I've heard both good things about it and
bad things about it.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Adam

"Let's Ride!!"

I rode the metric century version of this 2 years ago. I think the route overlaps with century. Some
rolling hills, nothing too bad. Much of it is level. Beautiful scenery along Indiana farm lands,
some parts along Lake Michigan.

Very yummy food at the rest stops.

It's run by the Calumet Crank Club, http://bicycling.org/

Very well organized. I may ride it again this year.

Good luck.

Joel

TheCyclist2002 wrote:

>My goal this year is to participate in, and finish, the Lakeshore Century which is held in
>Northwest Indiana around the first weekend of September (it will be my first century). Has anybody
>here ridden in it? What can I expect in way of terrain? I've heard both good things about it and
>bad things about it.
>
>Any info would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Many thanks in advance.
>
>Adam
>
>"Let's Ride!!"

TheCyclist2002 <[email protected]> wrote:
> My goal this year is to participate in, and finish, the Lakeshore Century which is held in
> Northwest Indiana around the first weekend of September (it will be my first century). Has anybody
> here ridden in it? What can I expect in way of terrain? I've heard both good things about it and
> bad things about it.
>
> Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I've ridden the '02 and '03 rides, and enjoyed them thouroughly. I took the full course both times;
there are some hilly stretches, but nothing particularly brutal, and nothing that required walking.
Don't let the signs at the route splitoff discourage you. :eek:) The rest stops were nicely stocked,
and I saw (but didn't need) plenty of sag wagons out on the course.

Some of the roads are quite bumpy. This wasn't a problem for me; I ride a RANS Rocket (SWB
recumbent) with fat Tioga Comp Pool tires and heavy-duty rims. The way I've set it up, it's quite a
bit heavier than it needs to be, but it's close to bulletproof; it'd make a fantastic touring bike.
If you have a delicate bike, keep that in mind.

The '03 ride was my fastest century yet (not counting rest stops, where I waited for a friend of
mine). 107 miles in 6:02:39 riding time. This year, I hope to break the six-hour barrier.

The Bike Psychos ride (Coal City, IL westward) has some worse hills, notably Fosse Rd. outside of
Ottawa. It's still a fun ride, though, and it's also very well-organized. There are 30, 50, 70, 100,
and 124 mile options. You'll only encounter Fosse Rd. on the 100 and 124 routes. I've done the
Psychos ride three times, and I've always had to walk the middle 75 feet or so on Fosse. I could use
a smaller granny gear, but 20-inch drive wheels require unpleasant drivetrain compromises. To get
the low gears I'd need, I'd have to sacrifice high gears, or add a 3x8 hub with even more weight.

--
Russ Price -- [email protected] -- kill the wabbit to email "Now that the British military
has foresworn the use of depleted uranium, their army is looking at ways of propelling Dutch
bicycles at enemy tanks." -Steve in SC