L'Alpe d'Huez climb

batman4583

Feb 12, 2010
I am going to France in June of this year & was wondering if anybody out there has done this climb before. What gear (sprockets/chainrings) should I be looking at using? Any more good tips would be welcomed. Probably be climbing the col de la croix de fer & col du glandon. Are these both good climbs to do? :p

I did those climbs some years ago. They´re great but Croix de Fer is really really difficult because its very irregular. I used a 30x23, but noone can tell you which gear you should use, it depends. I would recommend a 34x26 or a 39x29 or something equivalent.

Gearing depends on how strong you are and your climbing style (spinning versus standing etc). I personally would use either a 36-25 or 36-27 as my smallest gear on terrain like that.

Croix de Fer is the most difficult climb of those three. Very irregular and it never ends. If you´re a beginner I would recommend you something like 39x29 or equivalent - you don´t have to use if you don´t need it.

batman4583 said:
I am going to France in June of this year & was wondering if anybody out there has done this climb before. What gear (sprockets/chainrings) should I be looking at using? Any more good tips would be welcomed. Probably be climbing the col de la croix de fer & col du glandon. Are these both good climbs to do? :p
'No' to the specific climbs ...

Regardless, based on riding on mountain roads in the Rockies, I can tell you that you may be surprised by how much riding on mountain roads is an aerobic event ... so, if you have access to a swimming pool, a lot of laps will be great preparation (if you don't swim well, use a kick board when you get tired ... and, keep going).

A narrow handlebar width is restrictive ... a wider handlebar width may not seem much better, but I believe it makes a difference ... to each his own.

My bailout gear is a 32t with a 53/39 crank. A 28t with a "compact" is more-or-less equivalent ...

I would rather opt for a "compact" crank with a 11-32 or 12-34 cassette than a "triple" ... again, to each is own.

As mentioned, you don't have to use whatever bailout gear(s) you may have.