lamb loin chops (???)

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Skyhooks, Mar 20, 2006.

  1. Skyhooks

    Skyhooks Guest

    I very rarely purchase lamb chops. But, I couldn't resist a pair of
    thick loin chops when I was at the grocery shop yesterday ;>

    Can anyone suggest a simple and fast recipe other than the standard
    pan-fry/sear with rosemary and butter, then serve with mint sauce and/or
    jelly??? TIA.

    Skyhooks
    ""aahhtt""
    s b c g l o b a l
    ""ddoott""
    n e t

    Tags:

  2. Default User

    Default User Guest

    Skyhooks wrote:

    > I very rarely purchase lamb chops. But, I couldn't resist a pair of
    > thick loin chops when I was at the grocery shop yesterday ;>
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a simple and fast recipe other than the standard
    > pan-fry/sear with rosemary and butter, then serve with mint sauce
    > and/or jelly??? TIA.

    Grilled to a nice medium rare.

    Brian

    won't shut up.

  3. Ken Davey

    Ken Davey Guest

    Skyhooks wrote:
    > I very rarely purchase lamb chops. But, I couldn't resist a pair of
    > thick loin chops when I was at the grocery shop yesterday ;>
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a simple and fast recipe other than the standard
    > pan-fry/sear with rosemary and butter, then serve with mint sauce
    > and/or jelly??? TIA.

    No

  4. On Mon 20 Mar 2006 05:24:04p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Ken Davey?

    > Skyhooks wrote:
    >> I very rarely purchase lamb chops. But, I couldn't resist a pair of
    >> thick loin chops when I was at the grocery shop yesterday ;>
    >>
    >> Can anyone suggest a simple and fast recipe other than the standard
    >> pan-fry/sear with rosemary and butter, then serve with mint sauce
    >> and/or jelly??? TIA.
    >>

    > No

    Sussinct <g>

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  5. Pete C.

    Pete C. Guest

    Skyhooks wrote:

    > I very rarely purchase lamb chops. But, I couldn't resist a pair of
    > thick loin chops when I was at the grocery shop yesterday ;>
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a simple and fast recipe other than the standard
    > pan-fry/sear with rosemary and butter, then serve with mint sauce and/or
    > jelly??? TIA.
    >
    > Skyhooks
    > ""aahhtt""
    > s b c g l o b a l
    > ""ddoott""
    > n e t

    I can only suggest avoiding the mint sauce / jelly. Lamb tastes too good
    to mask with mint anything. Just a pinch of salt and pepper perhaps if
    even that.

    Pete C.

  6. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    Skyhooks wrote:
    > I very rarely purchase lamb chops. But, I couldn't resist a pair of
    > thick loin chops when I was at the grocery shop yesterday ;>
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a simple and fast recipe other than the standard
    > pan-fry/sear with rosemary and butter, then serve with mint sauce and/or
    > jelly??? TIA.
    >
    > Skyhooks
    > ""aahhtt""
    > s b c g l o b a l
    > ""ddoott""
    > n e t

    I do my lamb with garlic, rosemary and lemon zest, sear it then roast it a bit
    (sorry, i don't have specifics). Then I take it out of the oven, put them on a
    plate to rest. Deglaze the pan with red wine, let it reduce just a bit, turn
    off the heat and then add a tablespoon of butter per person whisking
    constantly.

    Plate the lamb and pour the sauce over it.

    Usually I serve it with mashed potatoes with burnt green onions and asparagus.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com

  7. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Pete C. wrote:
    > Skyhooks wrote:
    >>
    >> I very rarely purchase lamb chops. But, I couldn't resist a pair of
    >> thick loin chops when I was at the grocery shop yesterday ;>
    >>
    >> Can anyone suggest a simple and fast recipe other than the standard
    >> pan-fry/sear with rosemary and butter, then serve with mint sauce
    >> and/or jelly??? TIA.
    >>
    >> Skyhooks

    > I can only suggest avoiding the mint sauce / jelly. Lamb tastes too
    > good to mask with mint anything. Just a pinch of salt and pepper
    > perhaps if even that.
    >
    > Pete C.

    Agreed. And the only type of lamb chops I buy are the loin chops. Much
    more bang for the buck than those tiny shoulder chops.

    Grill or broil the chops, rare. No more than medium rare, that's for sure.
    A little brushing of olive oil and some crushed rosemary is about the only
    other thing I'd suggest in the way of "treatment" other than salt & pepper.

    Jill

  8. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Skyhooks wrote:

    > I very rarely purchase lamb chops. But, I couldn't resist a pair of
    > thick loin chops when I was at the grocery shop yesterday ;>
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a simple and fast recipe other than the standard
    > pan-fry/sear with rosemary and butter, then serve with mint sauce and/or
    > jelly??? TIA.

    The first thing to two is to go out and get a couple more of them because
    lamb loin chops are so good you always want more. I never fry them. I
    either do them on the BBQ grill or in a grill pan. I rub the with garlic and
    mint sauce and let them sit for an hour or so, and then grill them until
    they are pink.

  9. Skyhooks

    Skyhooks Guest

    jmcquown wrote:

    > Pete C. wrote:
    > > Skyhooks wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I very rarely purchase lamb chops. But, I couldn't resist a pair of
    > >> thick loin chops when I was at the grocery shop yesterday ;>
    > >>
    > >> Can anyone suggest a simple and fast recipe other than the standard
    > >> pan-fry/sear with rosemary and butter, then serve with mint sauce
    > >> and/or jelly??? TIA.
    > >>
    > >> Skyhooks

    > > I can only suggest avoiding the mint sauce / jelly. Lamb tastes too
    > > good to mask with mint anything. Just a pinch of salt and pepper
    > > perhaps if even that.
    > >
    > > Pete C.

    > Agreed. And the only type of lamb chops I buy are the loin chops. Much
    > more bang for the buck than those tiny shoulder chops.
    >
    > Grill or broil the chops, rare. No more than medium rare, that's for sure.
    > A little brushing of olive oil and some crushed rosemary is about the only
    > other thing I'd suggest in the way of "treatment" other than salt & pepper.
    >
    > Jill

    Jill and Pete, the method y'all describe is how I'm used to cooking lamb
    loin chops. I just wondered if there was anything different but just as
    simple without going to any extreme(s) or major effort(s).

    Luckily, I've never had to eat over-cooked lamb (more than meduim
    rare). But, lamb is so rarely served in my family, so I don't know much
    otherwise. I do like the not-so-subtle flavor of the rosemary :)

    Skyhooks, who misses her grandmother's cooking (sigh)
    ""aahhtt""
    s b c g l o b a l
    ""ddoott""
    n e t

  10. Skyhooks

    Skyhooks Guest

    The Bubbo wrote:

    > Skyhooks wrote:
    > > I very rarely purchase lamb chops. But, I couldn't resist a pair of
    > > thick loin chops when I was at the grocery shop yesterday ;>
    > >
    > > Can anyone suggest a simple and fast recipe other than the standard
    > > pan-fry/sear with rosemary and butter, then serve with mint sauce and/or
    > > jelly??? TIA.
    > >
    > > Skyhooks
    > > ""aahhtt""
    > > s b c g l o b a l
    > > ""ddoott""
    > > n e t

    > I do my lamb with garlic, rosemary and lemon zest, sear it then roast it a bit
    > (sorry, i don't have specifics). Then I take it out of the oven, put them on a
    > plate to rest. Deglaze the pan with red wine, let it reduce just a bit, turn
    > off the heat and then add a tablespoon of butter per person whisking
    > constantly.
    >
    > Plate the lamb and pour the sauce over it.
    >
    > Usually I serve it with mashed potatoes with burnt green onions and asparagus.
    >
    > --
    > .:Heather:.
    > www.velvet-c.com
    > Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

    Thanks, Heather. I wouldn't have thought to add lemon zest! Hm.... if
    no lemon zest is immediately available, would a dash of RealLemon work
    during the deglazing part after (or before?) the wine was applied???
    Wouldn't hurt to try, that's for sure <g>.

    Sky

  11. "Skyhooks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I very rarely purchase lamb chops. But, I couldn't resist a pair of
    > thick loin chops when I was at the grocery shop yesterday ;>
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a simple and fast recipe other than the standard
    > pan-fry/sear with rosemary and butter, then serve with mint sauce and/or
    > jelly??? TIA.

    Usually my husband does them on the grill seasoned with salt, pepper,garlic
    and grills until medium rare. Here's a recipe I've saved though that IMHO
    sounds good.

    Chris in Pearland, TX

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Molls' Garlic Lamb Chops

    Recipe By :Laura & Richard Moll
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :1:00
    Categories : Lamb

    8 each lamb loin chops
    3 cloves garlic
    2 ounces butter
    1/4 cup fresh parsley -- chopped
    1/4 cup fresh mint
    salt
    fresh ground black pepper

    Trim the fat from the chops. Cut garlic cloves into slivers. Brush chops
    with butter. Make small cuts on the top of the chops and poke with garlic
    and mint. Place chops in a roasting dish covered with foil, sprinkle with
    parsley and season to taste. Cover chops with an additional piece of foil
    and tuck down edges. Roast at 375 degrees for 35 minutes. To brown, remove
    top foil for last five minutes of roasting. Garnish with fresh mint and
    orange curls.

  12. Skyhooks

    Skyhooks Guest

    Dave Smith wrote:

    > Skyhooks wrote:
    >
    > > I very rarely purchase lamb chops. But, I couldn't resist a pair of
    > > thick loin chops when I was at the grocery shop yesterday ;>
    > >
    > > Can anyone suggest a simple and fast recipe other than the standard
    > > pan-fry/sear with rosemary and butter, then serve with mint sauce and/or
    > > jelly??? TIA.

    > The first thing to two is to go out and get a couple more of them because
    > lamb loin chops are so good you always want more. I never fry them. I
    > either do them on the BBQ grill or in a grill pan. I rub the with garlic and
    > mint sauce and let them sit for an hour or so, and then grill them until
    > they are pink.

    Yummy, Dave, but with inclement weather, grilling is not always an
    option for me. So, I have to resort to pan-searing/frying with my
    well-seasoned cast iron skillet and smoking up my kitchen during the
    process! I'll add the garlic rub - sounds good to me! Medium-rare is
    just right, with optional mint sauce/jelly - or maybe even a mayo/curry
    mixture - as condiments ;)

    Sky

  13. Skyhooks

    Skyhooks Guest

    Chris Marksberry wrote:

    > "Skyhooks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > I very rarely purchase lamb chops. But, I couldn't resist a pair of
    > > thick loin chops when I was at the grocery shop yesterday ;>
    > >
    > > Can anyone suggest a simple and fast recipe other than the standard
    > > pan-fry/sear with rosemary and butter, then serve with mint sauce and/or
    > > jelly??? TIA.

    > Usually my husband does them on the grill seasoned with salt, pepper,garlic
    > and grills until medium rare. Here's a recipe I've saved though that IMHO
    > sounds good.
    >
    > Chris in Pearland, TX
    >
    > * Exported from MasterCook *
    >
    > Molls' Garlic Lamb Chops
    >
    > Recipe By :Laura & Richard Moll
    > Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :1:00
    > Categories : Lamb

    > 8 each lamb loin chops
    > 3 cloves garlic
    > 2 ounces butter
    > 1/4 cup fresh parsley -- chopped
    > 1/4 cup fresh mint
    > salt
    > fresh ground black pepper
    >
    > Trim the fat from the chops. Cut garlic cloves into slivers. Brush chops
    > with butter. Make small cuts on the top of the chops and poke with garlic
    > and mint. Place chops in a roasting dish covered with foil, sprinkle with
    > parsley and season to taste. Cover chops with an additional piece of foil
    > and tuck down edges. Roast at 375 degrees for 35 minutes. To brown, remove
    > top foil for last five minutes of roasting. Garnish with fresh mint and
    > orange curls.

    Thanks for sharing, Chris. I wouldn't have considered parsley, but it
    makes sense. Thanks for the suggestion and the recipe :)

    Sky

  14. MG

    MG Guest

    "Skyhooks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > jmcquown wrote:
    >>
    >> Pete C. wrote:

    >> > I can only suggest avoiding the mint sauce / jelly. Lamb tastes too
    >> > good to mask with mint anything. Just a pinch of salt and pepper
    >> > perhaps if even that.
    >> >
    >> > Pete C.

    >> Agreed. And the only type of lamb chops I buy are the loin chops. Much
    >> more bang for the buck than those tiny shoulder chops.
    >>
    >> Grill or broil the chops, rare. No more than medium rare, that's for
    >> sure.
    >> A little brushing of olive oil and some crushed rosemary is about the
    >> only
    >> other thing I'd suggest in the way of "treatment" other than salt &
    >> pepper.
    >>
    >> Jill

    > Jill and Pete, the method y'all describe is how I'm used to cooking lamb
    > loin chops. I just wondered if there was anything different but just as
    > simple without going to any extreme(s) or major effort(s).
    >
    > Luckily, I've never had to eat over-cooked lamb (more than meduim
    > rare). But, lamb is so rarely served in my family, so I don't know much
    > otherwise. I do like the not-so-subtle flavor of the rosemary :)
    >
    > Skyhooks, who misses her grandmother's cooking (sigh)
    > ""aahhtt""
    > s b c g l o b a l
    > ""ddoott""
    > n e t

    a little salt, pepper, EVOO and crushed dried oregano leaves (or fresh)

    mmmmmmmmmmmmm

  15. grossbea

    grossbea Guest

    Try this. We love it.

    Lamb Chops with Cumin

    Recipe By : Frugal Gourmet
    Serving Size : 3 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Lamb Main Dishes

    6 lamb chops
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 clove garlic -- crushed
    1/2 cup dry red wine
    1/2 cup beef stock
    1/4 cup cream
    1/8 teaspoon cumin
    salt and pepper -- to taste
    parsley

    Heat a frying pan large enough to hold the chops, add olive oil. Sear chops
    4-5 minutes on each side until medium rare. Do not overcook. Remove to hot
    platter and keep warm.
    Drain any fat from pan. Add garlic and rub in pan for a moment. Deglaze
    pan with wine, scraping up the brown bits. Add stock and cream, boil until
    reduced to syrupy consistency (sauce will darken). Add cumin, salt and
    pepper to taste.
    Pour over chops on heated platter, garnish with chopped parsley.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    "Skyhooks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I very rarely purchase lamb chops. But, I couldn't resist a pair of
    > thick loin chops when I was at the grocery shop yesterday ;>
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a simple and fast recipe other than the standard
    > pan-fry/sear with rosemary and butter, then serve with mint sauce and/or
    > jelly??? TIA.
    >
    > Skyhooks
    > ""aahhtt""
    > s b c g l o b a l
    > ""ddoott""
    > n e t

  16. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Skyhooks wrote:

    > Yummy, Dave, but with inclement weather, grilling is not always an
    > option for me. So, I have to resort to pan-searing/frying with my
    > well-seasoned cast iron skillet and smoking up my kitchen during the
    > process!

    We get more than our share of non BBQ weather here. A few years ago I bought a
    cast iron grill pan and it has turned out to be an excellent alternative to the
    outdoor grill. It can still set off the smoke detector.

    > I'll add the garlic rub - sounds good to me! Medium-rare is
    > just right, with optional mint sauce/jelly - or maybe even a mayo/curry
    > mixture - as condiments ;)

    Sauce, not jelly. If you can't find a good one at a reasonable price you can heat
    up some vinegar and brown sugar and add mint and let it steep.

  17. limey

    limey Guest

    "Dave Smith"

    > Skyhooks wrote:
    >> I'll add the garlic rub - sounds good to me! Medium-rare is
    >> just right, with optional mint sauce/jelly - or maybe even a mayo/curry
    >> mixture - as condiments ;)

    > Sauce, not jelly. If you can't find a good one at a reasonable price you
    > can heat
    > up some vinegar and brown sugar and add mint and let it steep.

    Right, Dave - absolutely no yucky mint jelly. Fortunately, I have a (very
    invasive) mint patch, which comes in really handy for mint sauce and iced
    tea. I always made the mint sauce when I was in the UK - my mother didn't
    have the patience to snip it finely. I'm the only one who loves lamb,
    especially lamb loin chops. When you cook them on the indoor grill, do you
    cut away as much of the fat as possible? I think that's why mine splatter
    and throw grease everywhere. Trouble is, the fat helps flavour the meat,
    IMHO.

    Dora

  18. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > Can anyone suggest a simple and fast recipe other than the standard
    > pan-fry/sear with rosemary and butter, then serve with mint sauce and/or
    > jelly??? TIA.

    Brown in olive oil, add garlic, capers and bay leaf, tip in a glass of dry
    white, around 100g of sour cream or feta or chevre, put the lid on and simmer
    until cooked to taste. Serve on rice, with maybe some asparagus on the side.

    -P.

  19. Skyhooks

    Skyhooks Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:

    > > Can anyone suggest a simple and fast recipe other than the standard
    > > pan-fry/sear with rosemary and butter, then serve with mint sauce and/or
    > > jelly??? TIA.
    > >

    > Brown in olive oil, add garlic, capers and bay leaf, tip in a glass of dry
    > white, around 100g of sour cream or feta or chevre, put the lid on and simmer
    > until cooked to taste. Serve on rice, with maybe some asparagus on the side.
    >
    > -P.

    > firstname dot lastname at gmail fullstop com

    Sounds good, except for the capers, but that's a personal taste. Thanks
    for sharing! I'll have to give it try, sans the capers <g>.

    Sky

  20. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > Sounds good, except for the capers, but that's a personal taste. Thanks
    > for sharing! I'll have to give it try, sans the capers <g>.
    >
    > Sky

    In that case I'd replace the capers with some chopped black olives, or a pinch
    of ground allspice, or maybe even some green peppercorns. Squirt of Wooster
    even. The dish needs something like that i.m.o.

    -P.