lame fattie masters

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andy Coggan

Not long before I flatted during the TT at master nationals on Monday, I found myself rolling up on
a couple of riders who looked like they were doing a 2-up TTT. I swear, the guy sitting on was no
more than a wheel's length directly behind the other rider, and stayed there for at least a minute -
it could have been for even longer, but that's about as long as I had them in sight before a state
police car passed me and then tucked in behind them, causing the 2nd rider to drop back a little
(but still not the required distance). My question is, what would motivate some lame fattie master
to attempt to cheat during an ITT? It's not like the guy had any hope of making the podium...

To feel the wrath of a studly honed master-

"Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Not long before I flatted during the TT at master nationals on Monday, I found myself rolling up
> on a couple of riders who looked like they were doing a 2-up TTT. I swear, the guy sitting on was
> no more than a wheel's length directly behind the other rider, and stayed there for at least a
> minute - it could have been for even longer, but that's about as long as I had them in sight
> before a state police car passed me and then tucked in behind them, causing the 2nd rider to drop
> back a little (but still not
the
> required distance). My question is, what would motivate some lame fattie master to attempt to
> cheat during an ITT? It's not like the guy had any
hope
> of making the podium...

In article <[email protected]>, Andy Coggan
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Not long before I flatted during the TT at master nationals on Monday, I found myself rolling up
> on a couple of riders who looked like they were doing a 2-up TTT. I swear, the guy sitting on was
> no more than a wheel's length directly behind the other rider, and stayed there for at least a
> minute - it could have been for even longer, but that's about as long as I had them in sight
> before a state police car passed me and then tucked in behind them, causing the 2nd rider to drop
> back a little (but still not the required distance). My question is, what would motivate some lame
> fattie master to attempt to cheat during an ITT? It's not like the guy had any hope of making the
> podium...

When he brags to his other fattie friends they'll hear about his time and think he's cool, so
there's no need to clutter up the story with the gory details.

It's kinda like the woman that was bragging on and on to me about her bronze medal in the Masters
Nat's TT and her husband was also going on about how proud he was of her. Turns her time was more
than 10% slower than the winner and there were only four women in that race.

So Andy, have you calculated what your "virtual" time would have been without the flat? Good, okay,
not-so good? What was your average watts/kg?

-WG

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:060820030828366544%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Andy Coggan
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Not long before I flatted during the TT at master nationals on Monday, I found myself rolling up
> > on a couple of riders who looked like they were doing a 2-up TTT. I swear, the guy sitting on
> > was no more than a wheel's length directly behind the other rider, and stayed there for at least
> > a minute - it could have been for even longer, but that's about as long as
I
> > had them in sight before a state police car passed me and then tucked in behind them, causing
> > the 2nd rider to drop back a little (but still not
the
> > required distance). My question is, what would motivate some lame fattie master to attempt to
> > cheat during an ITT? It's not like the guy had any
hope
> > of making the podium...
>
> When he brags to his other fattie friends they'll hear about his time and think he's cool, so
> there's no need to clutter up the story with the gory details.

Yeah, but in this case the guy's going to be "bragging" about a 60-61 min 40k!

> So Andy, have you calculated what your "virtual" time would have been without the flat? Good,
> okay, not-so good? What was your average watts/kg?

Yes, okay, about 4.5.

Andy Coggan

In article <[email protected]>, Andy Coggan
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:060820030828366544%[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, Andy Coggan
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > Not long before I flatted during the TT at master nationals on Monday, I found myself rolling
> > > up on a couple of riders who looked like they were doing a 2-up TTT. I swear, the guy sitting
> > > on was no more than a wheel's length directly behind the other rider, and stayed there for at
> > > least a minute - it could have been for even longer, but that's about as long as
> I
> > > had them in sight before a state police car passed me and then tucked in behind them, causing
> > > the 2nd rider to drop back a little (but still not
> the
> > > required distance). My question is, what would motivate some lame fattie master to attempt to
> > > cheat during an ITT? It's not like the guy had any
> hope
> > > of making the podium...
> >
> > When he brags to his other fattie friends they'll hear about his time and think he's cool, so
> > there's no need to clutter up the story with the gory details.
>
> Yeah, but in this case the guy's going to be "bragging" about a 60-61 min 40k!
>
> > So Andy, have you calculated what your "virtual" time would have been without the flat? Good,
> > okay, not-so good? What was your average watts/kg?
>
> Yes, okay, about 4.5.

If I could do that I wouldn't have to draft during ITT's...

-WG

"matabala" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> > Not long before I flatted during the TT at master nationals on Monday, I found myself rolling up
> > on a couple of riders who looked like they were doing a 2-up TTT. I swear, the guy sitting on
> > was no more than a wheel's length directly behind the other rider, and stayed there for at least
I
> > had them in sight before a state police car passed me and then tucked in behind them, causing
> the
> > required distance). My question is, what would motivate some lame fattie master to attempt to
> hope

> To feel the wrath of a studly honed master-

Not wrath - puzzlement. What would possess some cat. 3 or 4 old fart to travel >1000 miles to
compete at masters nationals and then feel the need to cheat? I just don't get it.

Andy Coggan

I heard the same thing about the 40-44 group - apparently there was a smooth rotating paceline going
on in that TT... when you look at the results, there's probably a group of guys significantly faster
than everyone else, but 30 seconds apart, or thereabouts. Lousy cheating bastards.

news:<[email protected]>...
> back a little (but still not the required distance). My question is, what would motivate some lame
> fattie master to attempt to cheat during an ITT? It's not like the guy had any hope of making the
> podium...

> podium...

I once saw a woman who is a many time world champion cheat in a small local time trial in Colorado
by drafting one of the cat 1 men. She did this despite the fact that she was going to take 2 minutes
out of her closest competition anyway. I figured that there were several possible explanations:

1. still a little unclear about the rules after two decades of elite racing
2. winning by less than 2 minutes would have been embarrassing
3. needed practice cheating for when it might actually be useful
4. curious about whether the officials were brave enough to do anything
5. for some, cheating is a compulsive behavior with no logical explanation

Bret

Perhaps the same motivation (but not the same expectation) that would inspire a hard-body cat 1 or 2
(know very little about the category system) to travel 3000 miles to prove his mettle? Ours is not
to wonder why, and certainly not to cast unflattering epithets at folks for giving it there best.
Cheating, that's a lot easier. It goes on, in one form or another, in just about every bike race,
regardless of categy, no?

news:[email protected]...
> "matabala" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:p[email protected]...
> > > Not long before I flatted during the TT at master nationals on Monday,
I
> > > found myself rolling up on a couple of riders who looked like they
were
> > > doing a 2-up TTT. I swear, the guy sitting on was no more than a
wheel's
> > > length directly behind the other rider, and stayed there for at least
a
> > > minute - it could have been for even longer, but that's about as long
as
> I
> > > had them in sight before a state police car passed me and then tucked
in
> > > behind them, causing the 2nd rider to drop back a little (but still
not
> > the
> > > required distance). My question is, what would motivate some lame
fattie
> > > master to attempt to cheat during an ITT? It's not like the guy had
any
> > hope
>
> > To feel the wrath of a studly honed master-
>
> Not wrath - puzzlement. What would possess some cat. 3 or 4 old fart to travel >1000 miles to
> compete at masters nationals and then feel the need
to
> cheat? I just don't get it.
>
> Andy Coggan

>
I
were
wheel's
a
as
> I
in
not
> > the
fattie
any
> > hope
>
>
> Not wrath - puzzlement. What would possess some cat. 3 or 4 old fart to travel >1000 miles to
to
>
> Andy Coggan

Cooglian -

There is a distinct possibility that "matabala" is the drafting Masters Fattie in question.

"PedalChick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I heard the same thing about the 40-44 group - apparently there was a smooth rotating paceline
> going on in that TT... when you look at the results, there's probably a group of guys
> significantly faster than everyone else, but 30 seconds apart, or thereabouts.

Well, if there was I didn't see it - just one guy who finished way down despite doing a little
(human) motorpacing. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, though - I walked a mile or more after flatting
before getting a ride from a local (nice guy...said he'd lived on that road since 1929), and during
that time was passed by only one moto-official. Aside from road guards at one T-intersection and
people at the turnaround, that was the only official presence I saw on the whole course.

Andy Coggan

"Bret Wade" <bretwade@@posting.google.com...
> "Andy Coggan" <acoggan.earthlink.net>...
I
the
hope
>
> I once saw a woman who is a many time world champion cheat in a small local time trial in Colorado
> by drafting one of the cat 1 men. She did this despite the fact that she was going to take 2
> minutes out of her closest competition anyway. I figured that there were several possible
> explanations:
>
> 1. still a little unclear about the rules after two decades of elite racing
> 2. winning by less than 2 minutes would have been embarrassing
> 3. needed practice cheating for when it might actually be useful
> 4. curious about whether the officials were brave enough to do anything
> 5. for some, cheating is a compulsive behavior with no logical explanation

6. It's fun to just simply go faster and feel the speeds the top amateur men are going.

-Ken

"matabala" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Perhaps the same motivation (but not the same expectation) that would inspire a hard-body cat 1 or
> 2 (know very little about the category
system)
> to travel 3000 miles to prove his mettle? Ours is not to wonder why, and certainly not to cast
> unflattering epithets at folks for giving it there best. Cheating, that's a lot easier. It goes
> on, in one form or another, in
just
> about every bike race, regardless of categy, no?
>

Whoever -- quit Top Posting. Ick!

> > "matabala" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> > > "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:p[email protected]...
> > > > Not long before I flatted during the TT at master nationals on
Monday,
> I
> > > > found myself rolling up on a couple of riders who looked like they
> were
> > > > doing a 2-up TTT. I swear, the guy

> My question is, what would motivate some lame fattie master to attempt to cheat during an ITT?
> It's not like the guy had any hope of making the podium...

Were there prizes by age group? He/they may have been gunning for one of those. A while back, three
jackasses were drafting one another during a lame local biathlon. I passed them and whilst doing so
let them know how I felt. Nothing like watching others cheat while you work your ball sack off (is
that one word of two?). They probably won their age group. Had they beaten me, I'd have reported
them. I should have anyway.

It appears I'm still a bit miffed.

"Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > My question is, what would motivate some lame fattie master to attempt to cheat during an ITT?
> > It's not like the guy had any
hope
>
> Were there prizes by age group? He/they may have been gunning for one of those.

Of course (that's why it is called master nationals). But this guy finished more than 10 min back of
1st place, and more than 6 min back of a podium spot.

Andy Coggan

> podium...

Sign up on Yahoo Games and you will learn all about cheating. What I find interesting are the
rationalisations for cheating, like, "you're not nice, etc." As for Masters racing, more intriguing
is the drug question, as there is probably not too much doubt that a large percentage of the riders
are high on all kinds of stuff, including the backmarkers.

As for you question regarding the fact that the guy had no hope of making podium, it might be
because master's racing is mostly about being the best you can be, even if it means cheating... As I
said, people will come up with all kinds of rationalisations when under stress.

-ilan

P.S. "lame fattie master" = redundant twice over.

>
I
were
wheel's
a
as
> I
in
not
> > the
fattie
any
> > hope
>
>
to
>
> Andy Coggan
>
I heard something about the aroma of Papa John's pizza and Krispy Kreme donuts wafting from the
jersey pockets. Probably a plant to distract the other masters so the guys teammate could win the
race. The guy probably slowed down so he could try to find the food.

>From: [email protected] (Ilan Vardi)

>-ilan
>
>P.S. "lame fattie master" = redundant twice over.
>

Yeah but at least Masters are less likely to do stupid ****. Being the Motor Official for the 35+
field is usually a pleasure. They are fast, they generally know how to race (If they don't the
other riders explain it REAL quick), and they don't tend to do stupid ****. Being in the middle of
a tough 4/5 full field is interesting to say the least. With the Masters if you see a problem you
can let them know you see it, and it goes away. With 4/5s you never know. My theory is that
everyone is there to race so I will ride up and yell a warning or two, unless you do something off
the scale, or dangerous to other riders. So far reaction has been good. The only person I
requested DQ'd had been warned several times about attacking over the yellow, then about 10Km from
the finish he pops out of the left side puts a shoulder into the guy to his left pushing him
almost off the left side of the road, then attacks in the left lane, on a small two lane road. He
DQ'd himself. Bill C

"TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> The only person I requested DQ'd had been warned several times about attacking over the yellow,
> then about 10Km from
the
> finish he pops out of the left side puts a shoulder into the guy to his
left
> pushing him almost off the left side of the road, then attacks in the left lane, on a small two
> lane road. He DQ'd himself.

I solved that problem once by reaching over and ripping the number off of riders that were passing
me on the left side of the yellow line.

In article <[email protected]>, TritonRider <[email protected]> wrote:

> >From: "Carl Sundquist" [email protected]
>
> >I solved that problem once by reaching over and ripping the number off of riders that were
> >passing me on the left side of the yellow line.
>
> That's one way to make sure the officials know who they are. I even hate the thought of being
> with a field in a car because you can't see what's going on and get a real feel for the race. I
> don't mind scoring, or pit, or whatever in one place but if I'm out with a field I want to be
> able to connect with the race. There are a lot of really good officials who do a great job from a
> car. I don't get the detail they do, but I can be right with "the race" and keep it safe and let
> them race. Bill C

The sunroof is de rigeur.

-WG

Status
Not open for further replies.