Laminate on Carbon chainstay

lohsnest

Oct 10, 2004
Well, while I was cleaning my bike today, I noticed that there was a problem on my right chainstay. It looks like there is a small air pocket between the carbon weave and the outer layer of laminate. It almost looks like a slight puffing....is this of any concern? Other than the puffing, the seatstay is not cracked or deformed in any way. It looks just like the laminate separated from the carbon fibers where the seatstay is grooved.....perhaps it did not adhere like it should have. What should I do?

lohsnest said:
Well, while I was cleaning my bike today, I noticed that there was a problem on my right chainstay. It looks like there is a small air pocket between the carbon weave and the outer layer of laminate. It almost looks like a slight puffing....is this of any concern? Other than the puffing, the seatstay is not cracked or deformed in any way. It looks just like the laminate separated from the carbon fibers where the seatstay is grooved.....perhaps it did not adhere like it should have. What should I do?
Have your Orbea dealer look at it and see if an Orbea rep needs to examine it.
Many frame makers "glue" another piece of material over the right chain stay for additional protection. Could your frame have this?

Yes, there is extra protection over the chain stay....the bubbling up is right where the extra piece is...where the "groove" is. Luckily, it is not cracked.
daveornee said:
Have your Orbea dealer look at it and see if an Orbea rep needs to examine it.
Many frame makers "glue" another piece of material over the right chain stay for additional protection. Could your frame have this?

The "protective layer" is similar to a piece of thick scotch tape. Are the bubbles between the protective layer and the chain stay or actualy in the chain stay carbon clear coat? Bubbles in the protective layer are really not an issue.

In the protective layer...the outermost portion.....it looks like the plastic adhesive just couldn't cling to the grooves on the chainstay and loosened jsut a tad so as to allow a "bubble to form"
Starting@60 said:
The "protective layer" is similar to a piece of thick scotch tape. Are the bubbles between the protective layer and the chain stay or actualy in the chain stay carbon clear coat? Bubbles in the protective layer are really not an issue.

No harm done then. Iffin' you're concerned about it, now, or want more protection on the chain stay, your LBS and many of the online retailers are likely to sell such protective plastic.

Good news. I'd ask my LBS to order a replacement.

BTW, Years ago I'd fashioned a chain stay guard out of handle bar tape (blue!) to protect my 1974 Colnago. When one got too marked up and dirty I'd rip it off and apply another one. Simpler times I guess.

A quick update on my Orbea.....

Based upon the information I received on this question, I took my bike back to my dealer and had him take a look at the carbon. It was determined that the issue is very minor, just a simple air pocket in the outermost portion of right chainstay, right below the outer layer of laminate, and this only affecting the extra plate/layer of protective carbon weave. None of this should be of any structural conern, only cosmetic.

Thanks for all of the input!

Runce

lohsnest said: