Lance 5 & 6

Tritonrider

Guest
I see Lance taking 5 this year pretty easily. No. 6 next year is going to be tougher. I think he's
going to start coming back a little bit. Jan might be on track by then. Tyler will learn to stay
upright by then. The french government may build a new superteam to keep a damn Texican from taking
the record. C'mon I've two feet of new snow, it's still winter with not much going on. McWhiner is
being a jackass, that's good for a few minutes. So is Pantani Jackson and his ears but how much is
really going on? VOS is just an early season warmup. Until Redlands and Sea Otter here no one's
gonna get too excited. In Europe the Ruta del Sol is coming up, then Het Volk. I really don't think
anyone cares about epic trainer races. I've got the officials clinic coming up the first weekend in
March, but I'd guess more people are interested in trainer races than in that. I mean look at RC's
form he's pretty lazy, and easy going right now. Just starting to warm up his keyboard for what is
sure to be a LONG interesting season with Worlds being here this year. We've hotstoved everything to
death. How often can we go back to the Semi-Pro/div 3 hero thread? Bill C.

TritonRider wrote:
> C'mon I've two feet of new snow, it's still winter with not much going on.

i hear ya. i got rain, and a toe that mysteriously keeps filling up with blood. good times, indeed.

west coast fat ass, h

****, its beautiful here today. 50 degrees f out. roads are clear. elevation of 5600 feet and its
like riding in Florida. most of the winter has been cold but no snow. races around here dont start
until april.

"heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> TritonRider wrote:
> > C'mon I've two feet of new snow, it's still winter with not much
going on.

> i hear ya. i got rain, and a toe that mysteriously keeps filling up with blood. good
> times, indeed.
>
> west coast fat ass, h

-------------------------------
I'm west coast dude, and the climate here in middle of Calif. couldn't be better for training. The
drought conditions here with little rain over the months make excellent endless days of cycling.
Temps are moderate and I love
it. I actually like the off seasons, as where July, August and Sept. gets so dam hot here. It rained
a tiny bit today but tomorrow will clear just in time for another 6 hour ride.

As for Lance, The number six [6] seems to be a curse in the TDF. I think he will get five hands
down, barring sickness, crashes, bad luck.

Bruce

"Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Not quite. It was 74 degrees f here (Tampa Bay) today as it was yesterday. I broke a sweat
> training in shorts and a jersey :p

I broke a sweat every time I rode across the Courtney Campbell causeway when it was a two lane road,
but it wasn't due to temperature.

"JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> ****, its beautiful here today. 50 degrees f out. roads are clear. elevation of 5600 feet and its
> like riding in Florida. most of the winter has been cold but no snow. races around here dont start
> until april.

Not quite. It was 74 degrees f here (Tampa Bay) today as it was yesterday. I broke a sweat training
in shorts and a jersey :p

> Boyd, Just the thought of riding in Central Florida makes me sweat. When I
went
> to school down there, I got picked off and tossed onto a traffic island on
my
> first training ride. Orlando is a scary place to train, then when you get
out
> in the boonies it's even scarier.

One of my fav Florida rides is Card Sound Road, riding through the mangroves from south of Miami to
Key Largo. You have a view of the Atlantic on one side of the road and Florida Bay on the other.
Parakeets, vultures, armadillos, jumping fish, and occasionally monkeys. Fortunately it wasn't near
anyplace conducive to seeing or hearing personal watercraft. Awesome ride for a little
introspection.

Bruce Johnston wrote:

> "heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > TritonRider wrote:
> > > C'mon I've two feet of new snow, it's still winter with not much
> going on.
> > >

> > i hear ya. i got rain, and a toe that mysteriously keeps filling up with blood. good times,
> > indeed.
> >
> > west coast fat ass, h
>
> -------------------------------
> I'm west coast dude, and the climate here in middle of Calif. couldn't be better for training. The
> drought conditions here with little rain over the months make excellent endless days of cycling.
> Temps are moderate and I love
> it. I actually like the off seasons, as where July, August and Sept. gets so dam hot here. It
> rained a tiny bit today but tomorrow will clear just in time for another 6 hour ride.

so, are you trying to make me kill myself, bruce?

"heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Bruce Johnston wrote:
> >
> > "heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > going on.
> > > >

> > > i hear ya. i got rain, and a toe that mysteriously keeps filling up
with
> > > blood. good times, indeed.
> > >
> > > west coast fat ass, h
> >
> > -------------------------------
> > I'm west coast dude, and the climate here in middle of Calif. couldn't
be
> > better for training. The drought conditions here with little rain over
the
> > months make excellent endless days of cycling. Temps are moderate and I
love
> > it. I actually like the off seasons, as where July, August and Sept.
gets so
> > dam hot here. It rained a tiny bit today but tomorrow will clear just in time for another 6
> > hour ride.
>
> so, are you trying to make me kill myself, bruce?

-----------------------------------
Talk about toes, a few years ago I had developed ingrown toenails. So when I went out to climb they
just sunk deeper into the flesh by the pressure of the down stroke. Oh, what a dilemma! Talk about
pain! Just on the two big toes only though. So after three operations, I finally got the whole thing
resolved with the toenails. Every time I had a operation, I had to stay off the bike until it healed
enough to ride. But then it would come back and I had to have another operation. So yeah, after
three operations the stubborn nails decided to give me a break!

Good grief, huh?

Hope your toe gets better!

B-

Hey, If I walk out my front door I have 2 feet of snow, they just plowed my street yesterday. Can't
wait to train on it, maybe I can pull a Landis.

Oh yeah, and I hate you.

Joe

"Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > >From: heather halvorson [email protected]
> >
> > >so, are you trying to make me kill myself, bruce?

> > Let's just tie him up in the basement and use his place as the official
> RBR
> > winter training camp site. ;-) Bill C.

> I have always thought that I lived in the perfect place for cycling. Not very far from here as the
> crow flys to the Mammoth mountain range which is
> haven for MB riders. Where I live if I ride west towards the valley, the offerings are great with
> tons of roads both pavement and gravel for both
MB
> and RB. The good news is there are very few cars on these roads, so what more could you ask? Going
> west offers hills with moderate up and down sections, nothing too long in the way of climbs.
> Endless loops with beautiful scenery, bridges, wildlife, makes for a lot fun rides. If I go east I
> can do the big climbs of the Sierra range and that offers cooler temps in the summer. Lot of big
> climbs, fresh air and great scenery, and
one
> bonus I have is the killer 6000 ft. climb that I just happen to live at
the
> base of. I call it my death climb. If I go north or south I can mix hills and mountains, as well
> as flats if I want. There are at least two roads nearby with flats, one twenty mile section and
> another 30 mile section. So all in all, I wouldn't trade my cycling paridise for anyplace in the
world.
> However smog here in Calif. is becoming an issue. Not bad in the winter,
but
> summer can have some bad days. Still much better then the big inner cities where the levels are
> off the scale. Coastal cities are great here without the smog, but don't offer the big climbs of
> the Sierra range. I do like Mount Hamilton climb in San Jose. That 4000 ft. monster. I love that
climb.
> Used to do it every weekend. California is my Mallorca.
>
> Bruce

"Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message > Not quite.
> It was 74 degrees f here (Tampa Bay) today as it was yesterday. I broke a sweat training in shorts
> and a jersey :p

so do you hit the st Pete grand prix sat a.m. training rides at all? I swear they were faster and
more aggressive than 99% of any race I ever did. some real heated rides ill tell ya.

> I broke a sweat every time I rode across the Courtney Campbell causeway
when
> it was a two lane road, but it wasn't due to temperature.

hell yea. I got so tired and scared riding across that and the gandy bridge I had to stop in at
hooters once or twice and call for a ride home. never lucky enough to have the hotties give me a
ride back. if it wasn't the heat from the sun it was from the steel of the cars whizzing by at 55
seeing how close they can get....**** nuts.

> >From: Boyd Speerschneider [email protected]
>
> Boyd, Just the thought of riding in Central Florida makes me sweat. When I
went
> to school down there, I got picked off and tossed onto a traffic island on
my
> first training ride. Orlando is a scary place to train, then when you get
out
> in the boonies it's even scarier. Bill C.

there are great rides in the boonies out there. san Antonio hill ride early
a.m. was the best. the lake mary loop and the singing tower loop are also great rides. never had the
car problems like I did at the st Pete grand prix. **** I raced and trained in Florida, France,
Belgium and never got hurt in a car/bike accident until I was out here in the middle of
bum-**** Colorado and some idiot runs me over at 55 when its was just me and him. there seems
to be no logic to the bike-car dilemma.

"JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message > Not quite.
>> It was 74 degrees f here (Tampa Bay) today as it was yesterday. I broke a sweat training in
>> shorts and a jersey :p
>
> so do you hit the st Pete grand prix sat a.m. training rides at all? I swear they were faster and
> more aggressive than 99% of any race I ever
> did. some real heated rides ill tell ya.

Yes I have ridden the St. Pete "grand prix" Sat. A.M. training ride (all though, to be honest, I've
never heard anyone refer to it as the "grand prix"). I used to live in Saint Pete, while riding for
a Tampa team. I would do the ride on Tues and Thursday evenings and Saturday mornings.

What I'll say about the ride is this:

1) Yes it was a fast ride, but not the fastest or hardest I've ridden in the area. I think the San
Antonio ride in the heat of the summer when 80+ people and 10+ Cat 1/2 riders show up determined
to rip each other's legs off takes the cake... especially if you go out to Trilby. The ride back
from there is a shell fest / death march. Usually less than 10 remain standing by the end. But,
everyone is allways respectful.

2) The Saint Pete ride is *by far* the most dangerous group ride I've done in the area. I know a lot
of guys (most of the 2s and 1s in the area) who won't even do the ride as they consider it too
dangerous. Idiots run stop lights or stop signs just to gain a slight advantage. It never works
as they are chased down like dogs once we hit the open road heading out to Fort De Soto.

3) There is a core group of guys on that ride (< 10), who think they own it and are a$$h0les to
anyone who upsets their little hierarchy. You might know the ones I'm referring to. Most of them
ride with no helmets, little euro cycling caps, euro bikes, etc. They are basically posers. You
*never* see any of them at any real races. They love leaving me hanging out in the wind when it
was their turn to pull through. I love riding their asses into the ground in the few kilometers.
I don't mean to make it sound like I'm a bad ass, on the contrary. I'm a lowly Cat. 3 who knows
his place. These dudes think they are so pro, but when I show up and beat them *every* time (even
when they all work against me), it tends to burst their bubble.

Anyway, that said, the Saint Pete ride is probably my least favorite in the area. It does have some
beautiful scenery, but there are much better and faster rides where you will get much less 'tude.

Just my $0.02.

-Boyd

damn. your pretty much right on. lololololo

when im in town visiting relatives i sit in on the ride just for the adventure......i usually get
dropped at the red lights though since i dont want to run them. when i was younger i would do that
**** though, so im just as much to blame.

i bet we know alot of the same people down there. whats funny about all that euro **** is back in
the "old" days no one wore it. then me and a couple of friends came back from europe with our
outfits (most of em as gifts) and then they all started to wear it.....of course paul kavan (mario)
loved to always look good in it to. him and robin disappeared somewhere. he was one hell of a nice
guy though. not the same mentality of those "core" group you are referring to, i know.

they have always been good to me though since i put a hurt on most of em before they ever became "st
pete grand prix" stars...lolololo all except for mcgarry. he is sold old he makes me look like a
pup....lololo hell, they even invited me onto their team a few times even though i didnt qualify in
the lawyer category.

that san antone ride with the trilby loop is a killer. expecially at 95 degrees and 95% humidity. it
used to take about 4 days just for the body to recover. the other ride of choice i forgot to mention
is the sunday a.m. USF ride. that was the **** during the winter when cubric would show up from
czhech and would want to kick eveyones ass....lolololo

by the way. do you know how to get in contact with ian jackson? do you have an email?

"heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> TritonRider wrote:
> > C'mon I've two feet of new snow, it's still winter with not much
going on.

> i hear ya. i got rain, and a toe that mysteriously keeps filling up with blood. good
> times, indeed.
>
> west coast fat ass, h

Last time I saw you, roller blading from Seattle to Portland in one day (or was it on the Burke
Gilman after that), you were defininitely not a west coast "fat ass". But that roller blading
probably did some permanent damage to that toe.

Ken (living in Michigan now and riding rollers)

God what have I done.........

Kendall wrote:

> "heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > TritonRider wrote:
> > > C'mon I've two feet of new snow, it's still winter with not much
> going on.
> > >

> > i hear ya. i got rain, and a toe that mysteriously keeps filling up with blood. good times,
> > indeed.
> >
> > west coast fat ass, h
>
> Last time I saw you, roller blading from Seattle to Portland in one day (or was it on the Burke
> Gilman after that), you were defininitely not a west coast "fat ass". But that roller blading
> probably did some permanent damage to that toe.
>
> Ken (living in Michigan now and riding rollers)
>
> God what have I done.........

ken!

that email you sent me after the stp is still one of my favorites. i didn't know that you had moved
away. i can't believe that we've managed to stay in touch because of rbr.

michigan!? serves you right :)

heather

Heather! It is you!

Needed a job (Pfizer) to support the family and biotech was going down the tubes in Seattle after
our company sold out. The riding is great here in Ann Arbor country, but ONLY 6 freakin months out
of the year! So quit whining about the damn rain! At least its not 6 degrees out there! I am
relegated to watching race videos while riding rollers.

I may visit to ride around the mountain with the old buds, unless we get into the tour of California
DR......but the hills will be a shocker after living a year in the flatlands.

Are you ridin or bladin (or both) these days? Skateaway roller girl!

Cheers,

Ken

"heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Kendall wrote:
> >
> > "heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > going on.
> > > >

> > > i hear ya. i got rain, and a toe that mysteriously keeps filling up
with
> > > blood. good times, indeed.
> > >
> > > west coast fat ass, h
> >
> > Last time I saw you, roller blading from Seattle to Portland in one day
(or
> > was it on the Burke Gilman after that), you were defininitely not a west coast "fat ass". But
> > that roller blading probably did some permanent
damage
> > to that toe.
> >
> > Ken (living in Michigan now and riding rollers)
> >
> > God what have I done.........
>
> ken!
>
> that email you sent me after the stp is still one of my favorites. i didn't know that you had
> moved away. i can't believe that we've managed to stay in touch because of rbr.
>
> michigan!? serves you right :)
>
> heather

"JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> damn. your pretty much right on. lololololo
>
> when im in town visiting relatives i sit in on the ride just for the adventure......i usually get
> dropped at the red lights though since i dont want to run them. when i was younger i would do that
> **** though, so im just as much to blame.
>
> i bet we know alot of the same people down there. whats funny about all that euro **** is back in
> the "old" days no one wore it. then me and a couple of friends came back from europe with our
> outfits (most of em as gifts) and then they all started to wear it.....of course paul kavan
> (mario) loved to always look good in it to. him and robin disappeared somewhere. he was one hell
> of a nice guy though. not the same mentality of those "core" group you are referring to, i know.

Paul is one of those I mentioned who won't do the ride anymore, as he considers it too dangerous. He
probably doesn't gain a whole lot from it anyway as he is a kick ass cat 1. BTW, they call him
Fabio, not Mario ;)

> they have always been good to me though since i put a hurt on most of em before they ever became
> "st pete grand prix" stars...lolololo all except for mcgarry. he is sold old he makes me look like
> a pup....lololo hell, they even invited me onto their team a few times even though i didnt qualify
> in the lawyer category.

No wonder they ride like A-holes... I never realized they were scum sucking bottom feeders...errr...
I mean attorneys ;)

> that san antone ride with the trilby loop is a killer. expecially at 95 degrees and 95% humidity.
> it used to take about 4 days just for the body to recover. the other ride of choice i forgot to
> mention is the sunday a.m. USF ride. that was the **** during the winter when cubric would show up
> from czhech and would want to kick eveyones ass....lolololo

What's really hard is doing a fast, hard group ride on Saturday, and then showing up and doing the
San Antonio 60 the next day. BTW, the USF ride pretty much died off. Which was all right by me as it
was one of the most boring rides I've ever been on. I mean in terms of scenery, as the first 30 and
last 30 miles are on one dead straight, boring wind swept road.

> by the way. do you know how to get in contact with ian jackson? do you have an email?

Not really, considering it is he and his cronies to whom I was referring as the "core group of
@$$h013$". I know, I know... he's a crit legend in his time. But, that doesn't make him any less
of a *****.

Thats what I like about the San Antonio ride; there is no where to hide. After a while, the hills
sort it all out.

One time Ian and his chronies came out to San Antonio on a Sunday. I was determined to make them
suffer. I put a good hurt on them and dropped them like bricks. I was leaving the parking lot (after
taking a shower, getting dressed, etc.) as they were rolling in. They had a look of total
devistation on their faces. LOL... that puts a smile on my face to this day... payback =]

Boyd Speerschneider wrote:

> Thats what I like about the San Antonio ride; there is no where to hide. After a while, the hills
> sort it all out.

I thought you guys were talking about Florida.