Lance ... a good ride today?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by psycholist, May 23, 2004.

  1. psycholist

    psycholist Guest

    All I see so far is that he won the stage, but Moreau won the GC.

    Anyone have more details to share?

    Bob C.

    Tags:

  2. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    psycholist wrote:
    > All I see so far is that he won the stage, but Moreau won the GC.
    >
    > Anyone have more details to share?

    The stage ended on the pretty Mediterranean coast in Sete with two climbs
    of the redoubtable Mont St. Clair. Armstrong, Azevedo, and Euskaltel's
    Eigo Martinez (who should be paid attention to) made their move on the
    peloton at the bottom of the first ascension and quickly made separation.
    Well-launched, Armstrong accelerated, Azevedo dropped, and Martinez hung
    on. The pair crested together, about 24 seconds ahead of Moreau who was in
    yellow (Moreau held the GC with a 12 second lead over Ekimov and 27
    seconds over Iker Flores--Ekimov was in Moreau's wheel on the climb).
    Armstrong and Martinez flew down the back side of the Mont and came around
    for the final climb. At the bottom Brochard attacked the Moreau group, as
    is his wont: he's won this climb a couple of times before, including two
    years ago when the race was called the Midi Libre. Meanwhile, with 500
    meters to go, Armstrong stood up on the pedals and accelerated again,
    dropping Martinez. He finished with a 10 or 12 second gap on Martinez and
    Brochard who nipped Martinez in the last 50m for 2nd. Moreau finished
    about 40 seconds back, with Ekimov still on his heels. Moreau held on to
    the GC with the same gap with which he started the day. Armstrong showed
    some pop in his legs.

  3. TM

    TM Guest

    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > The stage ended on the pretty Mediterranean coast in Sete <snip>

    Armstrong showed
    > some pop in his legs.

    Your recaps are well written and interesting.

    Thanks.

  4. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

  5. Jeff Jones wrote:

    > "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>All I see so far is that he won the stage, but Moreau won the GC.
    >>
    >>Anyone have more details to share?
    >>

    > Full results up now
    >
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/road.php?id=road/2004/may04/languedoc04/languedoc
    > 045
    > or
    > http://tinyurl.com/2e43c
    >
    > Nice finish by Wim Van Huffel (4th). He's been consistently good this year.
    > Must be all that training along the Schelde ;-)
    >
    > Jeff

    Half of postal didn't finish the stage? What's up with that?

  6. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Richard Adams wrote:
    > Half of postal didn't finish the stage? What's up with that?

    This is just a guess, but I'm guessing they knew it was the last stage and
    the buses were parked at the bottom of the hill.

  7. Michael

    Michael Guest

  8. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest