Lance admits to doping...

poulidor said:
World champion race is a one day race. Many riders can win a race without difficulty. I don't remember if it were an easy trip this year and Indurain needed hard single day race to win!
It was a difficult course and LA left Indurain on a climb...... But the point wasn't about Indurain.

"Many riders can win a race." When was the last time someone wore the rainbow stripes that wasn't a stud???? The people able to win the World's is a very select group.....

poulidor said:
Yes, when the clean rider as Lemond were very strong and the doped rider were just strong, the clean river can beat a doped rider! Between two riders with same level, the doped river wins!
But with EPO a "decent" rider can beat all riders.
LA is far more then a decent rider. Even if he doped, there were other there in the TDF that was juiced also. He still won. The evidence is coming on strong that JU doped for at least several years, and LA still won.... And a doped JU has to be a machine.

poulidor said:
But with EPO a "decent" rider can beat all riders.
Yes. All you need is a low hematocrit. EPO youself up to the low fifties and suddenly you are on a whole new level than you were before. Suddenly you can climb and time trial with riders who were untouchable before. Then all you need is a cover story. Something like a line of ******** about losing 15 or twenty pounds might work.

Roger Hammond mentions this very fact in the lastest edition of CycleSport. He said riders at DC were obessed about losing weight but he was never sure why they did it as it didn't always mean riding faster... maybe it was a guise they used when they improved by 15%.... ?

Bro Deal said:
Yes. All you need is a low hematocrit. EPO youself up to the low fifties and suddenly you are on a whole new level than you were before. Suddenly you can climb and time trial with riders who were untouchable before. Then all you need is a cover story. Something like a line of ******** about losing 15 or twenty pounds might work.

Bro Deal said:
That's not always true. There's a lot of guys with high natural hematocrits who are not fast, you just don't hear about them. Usually they're lacking in some other physiological or biomechanical department so for them to top off with EPO isn't going to do much good.

You know, it's funny, but back in the day they used to only do VO2max and cardiac output to determine who "had" it. Now I'd bet dollars to doughnuts they run a full battery of blood tests because, if you can find a guy with a high VO2max and cardiac output but whose running a 43 hematocrit and test levels around 200dbl, then you've really got something. The first two things you can't fix. The second two you can fix inside of a week. It's too easy.

That's why you see guys coming out of nowhere and winning big races.

helmutRoole2 said:
That's not always true. There's a lot of guys with high natural hematocrits who are not fast, you just don't hear about them. Usually they're lacking in some other physiological or biomechanical department so for them to top off with EPO isn't going to do much good.

You know, it's funny, but back in the day they used to only do VO2max and cardiac output to determine who "had" it. Now I'd bet dollars to doughnuts they run a full battery of blood tests because, if you can find a guy with a high VO2max and cardiac output but whose running a 43 hematocrit and test levels around 200dbl, then you've really got something. The first two things you can't fix. The second two you can fix inside of a week. It's too easy.

That's why you see guys coming out of nowhere and winning big races.

That's true! My level is 45.3 and I am not fast,then again I am not as young as I once was.

helmutRoole2 said:
Now I'd bet dollars to doughnuts they run a full battery of blood tests because, if you can find a guy with a high VO2max and cardiac output but whose running a 43 hematocrit and test levels around 200dbl, then you've really got something.
That has already happened. As early as the mid-nineties teams were testing potential hires' hematocrits. The Holy Grail was to find a competitive amateur who was undoped with a low natural hematocrit. You have to wonder how many riders there are who were naturally gifted and would have been pros in an earlier age but got passed over because they had little potential to be helped with EPO.

Bro Deal said:
That has already happened. As early as the mid-nineties teams were testing potential hires' hematocrits. The Holy Grail was to find a competitive amateur who was undoped with a low natural hematocrit. You have to wonder how many riders there are who were naturally gifted and would have been pros in an earlier age but got passed over because they had little potential to be helped with EPO.
Or, guys who would have never won grand tours w/o EPO. Chiapucci comes to mind. Can't think of another right off hand. Can you? :)

helmutRoole2 said:
Or, guys who would have never won grand tours w/o EPO. Chiapucci comes to mind. Can't think of another right off hand. Can you? :)
Chiappucci.... The the doping raids of 2001 they found files from Conconi where his hemocrit was well over 60% ! The file was stored on a floppy disk named 'dblab.txt'

From CycleSport magzine: "Chiappucci had changes from low as 35.7 per cent to a frightening 70 per cent..."

jhuskey said:
Not true! Jan and I both love good food and good beer. Well there is no really bad beer.
Pizza, beer and sex have one thing in common.... Even when it's bad it's still pretty damn good.

lw