Lance after L-B-L

Oscar Mannheim

Guest
Has anyone seen any comments from Lance Armstrong, comment on Tyler's victory in L-B-L?

like 'at the end, I wasn't motivated ' ?

...again. It seems that for Lance 2003 riding away from others on a hill is all about 'motivation'.
My guess is Carmichael has been replaced by Ken Papai.

Oscar Mannheim schreef:

> Has anyone seen any comments from Lance Armstrong, comment on Tyler's victory in L-B-L?

"Oscar Mannheim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Has anyone seen any comments from Lance Armstrong, comment on Tyler's victory in L-B-L?

He headed for the south of France immediately after the race, without speaking with reporters.
Hamilton said some nice things about Armstrong and USPS, however.

In article <[email protected]>, Van Hoorebeeck Bart
<[email protected]> wrote:

> like 'at the end, I wasn't motivated ' ?
>
> ...again. It seems that for Lance 2003 riding away from others on a hill is all about
> 'motivation'. My guess is Carmichael has been replaced by Ken Papai.

Carmichael does not coach LA or advise him on how to train. Ken? Maybe.

-WG

Robert Chung <[email protected]> schreef in berichtnieuws [email protected]...

> "Oscar Mannheim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Has anyone seen any comments from Lance Armstrong, comment on Tyler's victory in L-B-L?
>
> He headed for the south of France immediately after the race, without speaking with reporters.
> Hamilton said some nice things about Armstrong
and
> USPS, however.

Perhaps because he wants a podium spot in the tour?

"Jonathan v.d. Sluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Robert Chung schreef in berichtnieuws
> >
> > "Oscar Mannheim" <[email protected]> wrote
> > > Has anyone seen any comments from Lance Armstrong, comment on Tyler's victory in L-B-L?
> >
> > He headed for the south of France immediately after the race, without speaking with reporters.
> > Hamilton said some nice things about Armstrong
> and
> > USPS, however.
>
> Perhaps because he wants a podium spot in the tour?

I'm sure he does. But perhaps my point was a bit too subtle. Hamilton was gracious in victory. I
think Armstrong wasn't particularly gracious in defeat. I was thinking about that look on Venus
Williams' face when Serena won the US Open the first time.

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet
news:[email protected]...

> > Perhaps because he wants a podium spot in the tour?
>
> I'm sure he does. But perhaps my point was a bit too subtle. Hamilton was gracious in victory. I
> think Armstrong wasn't particularly gracious in defeat.

Yes it's kind of strange. Hamilton was extremely important to Armstrong's earlier Tour success. And
after what I know they never had the "problems" Livingston and Lance had. So now when Hamilton wins
his biggest win in his carer, you would expect Armstrong to show a little more interest.

Robert Chung <[email protected]> schreef in berichtnieuws [email protected]...

> "Jonathan v.d. Sluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Robert Chung schreef in berichtnieuws
> > >
> > > "Oscar Mannheim" <[email protected]> wrote
Tyler's

> > > He headed for the south of France immediately after the race, without speaking with reporters.
> > > Hamilton said some nice things about
Armstrong
> > and
> > > USPS, however.
> >
> > Perhaps because he wants a podium spot in the tour?
>
> I'm sure he does. But perhaps my point was a bit too subtle. Hamilton was gracious in victory. I
> think Armstrong wasn't particularly gracious in defeat. I was thinking about that look on Venus
> Williams' face when Serena won the US Open the first time.

Thinking about it, it's also a subtle insult to call someone the strongest when he actually finished
20th. But in any case I don't believe Hamilton was just trying to be gracious. Perhaps he is trying
a psychological trick: Armstrong needs anger to win, so praising him might work in the opposite
direction.

As for Armstrong's behaviour: isn't this what we've come to expect from him? I thought his attitude
after the Hautacam and Ventoux stages in 2000 was the same as after this year's LBL. We haven't
really witnessed something new.

"Jonathan v.d. Sluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Robert Chung <[email protected]> schreef in berichtnieuws
> [email protected]...
> >
> > "Jonathan v.d. Sluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Robert Chung schreef in berichtnieuws

> Tyler's

> Armstrong
> > > and
> > >
> > > Perhaps because he wants a podium spot in the tour?
> >
> > I'm sure he does. But perhaps my point was a bit too subtle. Hamilton
was
> > gracious in victory. I think Armstrong wasn't particularly gracious in defeat. I was thinking
> > about that look on Venus Williams' face when
Serena
> > won the US Open the first time.
>
> Thinking about it, it's also a subtle insult to call someone the strongest when he actually
> finished 20th. But in any case I don't believe Hamilton
was
> just trying to be gracious. Perhaps he is trying a psychological trick: Armstrong needs anger to
> win, so praising him might work in the opposite direction.
>
> As for Armstrong's behaviour: isn't this what we've come to expect from
him?
> I thought his attitude after the Hautacam and Ventoux stages in 2000 was
the
> same as after this year's LBL. We haven't really witnessed something new.

If a rider is disappointed at the outcome of a race, I think not saying anything is a wise thing to
do until one has a chance to reflect and accept the outcome.

"Jonathan v.d. Sluis" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet
news:[email protected]...

> As for Armstrong's behaviour: isn't this what we've come to expect from
him?
> I thought his attitude after the Hautacam and Ventoux stages in 2000 was
the
> same as after this year's LBL. We haven't really witnessed something new.

But this was one of his best friends winning.

"Jonathan v.d. Sluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Thinking about it, it's also a subtle insult to call someone the strongest when he actually
> finished 20th. But in any case I don't believe Hamilton
was
> just trying to be gracious. Perhaps he is trying a psychological trick: Armstrong needs anger to
> win, so praising him might work in the opposite direction.

Minor point, but when he said that quote, Tyler didn't know exactly where Armstrong had finished.
He's also a straight up and down guy - there was no insult intended when he said he thought Lance
was the strongest guy in the race. It may have been an incorrect statement, but he wasn't trying any
psychological tricks, as he was still coming to terms with the fact that he won. He also said on
more than one occasion that he would have been happy for Lance to win, because he was a good
friend (while at the same time being disappointed he wasn't in the break). Also I don't think it
was Tyler who instigated the CSC chase behind Armstrong, it was Bjarne Riis.

I'm hoping what we saw in the last two weekends is an indication of a more competitive Tour de
France, but I guess we won't know that until June.

cheers, Jeff

> If a rider is disappointed at the outcome of a race, I think not
saying
> anything is a wise thing to do until one has a chance to reflect and
accept
> the outcome.

Now if we could only get you to do that with your posts.