Lance: altruist or hypocrit?

CDAKIAHONDA

May 15, 2005
One can argue that the most valuable commodity a personality like Lance A has is his time, and he certainly devotes a great deal of his toward his LAF. But if Lance is going to be critical about the allocation of taxpayer money to fight the "war on cancer" shouldn't he donate the majority of his financial assets as well. Especially since his is a direct connection with the disease, and many of us just deal with cancer in the abstract but deal with other equally self-related issues and health concerns. How much of what he earns do you think he could/should give and how comfortably and secure should he provide for himself and for his family?

CDAKIAHONDA said:
One can argue that the most valuable commodity a personality like Lance A has is his time, and he certainly devotes a great deal of his toward his LAF. But if Lance is going to be critical about the allocation of taxpayer money to fight the "war on cancer" shouldn't he donate the majority of his financial assets as well. Especially since his is a direct connection with the disease, and many of us just deal with cancer in the abstract but deal with other equally self-related issues and health concerns. How much of what he earns do you think he could/should give and how comfortably and secure should he provide for himself and for his family?

NewsLink

You expect a spokesman for the cause to donate practically everything he has for the cause? Can you name any other spokesmen who've done this for ANY cause? OK, I'll give you Mother Theresa... think of another one. I don't think Armstrong's out of line at all.

DiabloScott said:
NewsLink

You expect a spokesman for the cause to donate practically everything he has for the cause? Can you name any other spokesmen who've done this for ANY cause? OK, I'll give you Mother Theresa... think of another one. I don't think Armstrong's out of line at all.
I don't "expect" anything, Lance does, he expects me to care about cancer (I do) but that I don't have, I also don't have alzheimers (sp) or AIDS or a lot of other venerable afflictions that need support. But why shouldn't "a spokesman donate "PRACTICALLY" everything he has for his cause." "Practically" being the operative word. I just posed the question in light of "his" comments. The guy will probably do more for cancer research simply by being it's poster boy than any 10 research scientists. But what other worthy cause will suffer because it doesn't have a superstar spokesman? But as for comparisons, isn't that why Mother Theresa is "Mother Theresa?" Her Legacy will arguably outlive Lance's, Nobel Prize and all, But just to play Devil's Adv. for a moment, what would things be like if those that could, did "put more of THEIR money where their mouths are?" Whatever the cause. Oh yeah, how about Albert Schweitzer, Jane Addams?"

CDAKIAHONDA said:
But just to play Devil's Adv. for a moment, what would things be like if those that could, did "put more of THEIR money where their mouths are?" Whatever the cause. Oh yeah, how about Albert Schweitzer, Jane Addams?"
Well I am a Lance fan, and think he's done many amazing things. However I do agree that instead of having fifteen cars and five homes and yachts that people could do a lot more good with their money that would benefit so many. I think about what I'd do if I had millions of dollars, and I would give most of it away. Maybe buy a mtn bike, pay off my debt and my parent's mortgages and such, but I really don't need all of the material possessions that so many people spend so much of their time trying to get.

nanook08 said:
Well I am a Lance fan, and think he's done many amazing things. However I do agree that instead of having fifteen cars and five homes and yachts that people could do a lot more good with their money that would benefit so many. I think about what I'd do if I had millions of dollars, and I would give most of it away. Maybe buy a mtn bike, pay off my debt and my parent's mortgages and such, but I really don't need all of the material possessions that so many people spend so much of their time trying to get.
Lance IS an AMAZING guy, and he has every right to stand up and yell to the world that "cancer" is a horrible problem, it causes pain, suffering, physical, emotional, and financial hardships on millions of people. The issue I'm raising is that you can substitute countless things in place of "cancer" in the above: (any disease, hunger, tyranny, crime, ignorance, prejudice etc...". So he says he won't run for office, now if he felt strongly enough about his cause wouldn't that be a very effective way to raise his issues? And then the rest of us can particiapte using our votes to collectively agree or disagree with those positions. I also understand the balance he wants to strive to achieve with his family, that's laudable, his kids deserve a father too, and He deserves to keep his money, he earned it under the "rules" of the system. Guys who ride bikes like he does earn big money. Is it equitable? You decide for yourself but it really doesn't matter, does it? Them's the rules. Yet when Lance raises the issue of the "value" of one (cancer) over any other (the allocation of tax dollars), then he, in my opinion, opens his personal financial committment level up as well. I agree with young Nanook, how many homes does this particular guy (with a big Bully Pulpit) need right NOW, while cancer remains without a cure?

CDAKIAHONDA said:
Lance IS an AMAZING guy, and he has every right to stand up and yell to the world that "cancer" is a horrible problem, it causes pain, suffering, physical, emotional, and financial hardships on millions of people. The issue I'm raising is that you can substitute countless things in place of "cancer" in the above: (any disease, hunger, tyranny, crime, ignorance, prejudice etc...". So he says he won't run for office, now if he felt strongly enough about his cause wouldn't that be a very effective way to raise his issues? And then the rest of us can particiapte using our votes to collectively agree or disagree with those positions. I also understand the balance he wants to strive to achieve with his family, that's laudable, his kids deserve a father too, and He deserves to keep his money, he earned it under the "rules" of the system. Guys who ride bikes like he does earn big money. Is it equitable? You decide for yourself but it really doesn't matter, does it? Them's the rules. Yet when Lance raises the issue of the "value" of one (cancer) over any other (the allocation of tax dollars), then he, in my opinion, opens his personal financial committment level up as well. I agree with young Nanook, how many homes does this particular guy (with a big Bully Pulpit) need right NOW, while cancer remains without a cure?

I am NO fan of Lance but geez fella, get real. He stands up for what he believes and questions Govt responsibility in regard to cancer and you suggest he may be a hipocrit for not donating his personal wealth? You need to get a clue dude.....

When you have raised as much money and awareness ,for any cause, as Lance has ,then you may criticize.

jhuskey said:
When you have raised as much money and awareness ,for any cause, as Lance has ,then you may criticize.
Well I am not really criticising Lance, I already said I am a fan. And I don't know that I'll ever have his publicity or talent to gain such publicity, but I did raise about 14,600 this spring/summer for the LAF. Not much of it was my own money, but if you saw my bank account statement, you'd see why; I have none. So I'm doing my part.

I was just saying that so many celebrities have so much money, and they hoard it and waste it on material things that hold little real value in our lives; they are just something to get int he way of really enjoying and living life. I'd like to see more celebs do more in general, be it with their money or not.

nanook08 said:
Well I am not really criticising Lance, I already said I am a fan. And I don't know that I'll ever have his publicity or talent to gain such publicity, but I did raise about 14,600 this spring/summer for the LAF. Not much of it was my own money, but if you saw my bank account statement, you'd see why; I have none. So I'm doing my part.

I was just saying that so many celebrities have so much money, and they hoard it and waste it on material things that hold little real value in our lives; they are just something to get int he way of really enjoying and living life. I'd like to see more celebs do more in general, be it with their money or not.

I wasn't directing my post toward anyone in particular. Just giving my opinion.
14,600 is a good amount of change.

CDAKIAHONDA said:
First of all no one here knows exactly how much of his own earned income goes to the foundation...and anything above the 50mil that the bracelets alone brought in is pretty generous. Secondly your contributions to the foundation have NOTHING to do with LA's contribution. You donate to the cause because you want to furthur cancer research not gain *****ing rites to bag on how much the creator of the foundation donates. If that is your question then don't donate anything and wait until you have to watch someone die of cancer then feel very ashamed at how petty your question was as you write a check. :mad:

Wait a second, the bracelet money is our money, oh yeah and Nikes too. I'm just waiting for someone to bring religion into the thread. Seriously, Don't you get it, it's a topic DESIGNED to get people stirred up. Bravo, keep stirring! And by the way,again, great job on the fundraising Nanook.

Ok, so just to clear it up, I only mentioned my fundraising to say that I have done my part for the LAF. I am not sitting here saying "Lance give all of your money to the LAF" when I have not donated or fund raised at all. (well I'm not saying "Lance give all of your money to the LAF" at all). It was my time and my money that I donated by my own free will because I believe in the cause, and love Lance. Whether I have donated or not does not change my belief that I think more celebrities (in general, not just Lance) could do a LOT of good with some of their money, and I think the rewards for them would be a lot more than what they get out of the material things they purchase. And I think they should, but that's personal oppinion, because I would rather many lived a good life, than me living a life of extreme luxury. Not all agree with me, and I'm ok with that. If/When I ever win tons of money, I'll donate it then.

Thank you Nanook, seriously. You will undoubtedly succeed in whatever you choose to do, as you have succeeded so far no doubt. The point never was about Lance's money specifically, the point always was, and as you have so positively demonstrated, that each of us can only give to the extent of our gifts and resources, and in that giving you can find the real reward. The "Bloody soapbox" was about giving back time, money, support to someone or something. Nanook, YOU get it! The Lance thing, just seemed like a topical starting point. It's really not about Lance is it?

I shouldn't keep churning out the same old line, but I don't think there's any sportsman who can compare with Muhammad Ali. It is amazing how much Ali did for charity and how much of his own money he gave to good causes.
I refer to times when he wrote out a cheque for thousands of dollars and gave the money to an old peoples' home for Jewish pensioners that would otherwise have closed.
Or the time he encountered a crippled girl in a wheelchair and gave her a brooch worth thousands of dollars on a whim.
he was the very opposite of Don King who fleeced his fighters and then came back for the scraps.
Whenever Ali encountered homeless people (both black and white) he bought them a free dinner or handed out hundred dollar bills.
It was Ali's generosity to children, invalids and the poor that was a factor in his continuing to fight when he was past his prime and in risk of getting punchy.
Despite all Bob Geldof did, his efforts seem too razmataz compared with the quiet manner in which Ali gave away his millions to good causes.
Lance is certainly a good guy who does more than his fair share but I'd still put Ali out in front as the most outstandingly generous sports personality.

nanook08 said:

Carrera said:
I shouldn't keep churning out the same old line, but I don't think there's any sportsman who can compare with Muhammad Ali. It is amazing how much Ali did for charity and how much of his own money he gave to good causes.

Lance is certainly a good guy who does more than his fair share but I'd still put Ali out in front as the most outstandingly generous sports personality.
While I think that Ali did amazing things, you are missing the point that it is not about any particular person: Lance, Ali, whoever. It's not about who did what, it's about people doing something, anything...

It's actually something above this all; it's about people realizing that others out there are suffering, in many ways, and we are upset that our cell phone dropped a call, or that the cable in our summer house isn't hooked up imediately. material things just clutter our lives up and deceive us into thinking that they are more important than than the love between people. So it's not about Ali doing more than Lance, it's about people in general realizing that they can do something, that they can make a difference, and that they will be rewarded in amazing ways. And we look to celebrities to make a visible stand for certain causes and to be generous becuase they have the financial ability to do so. Unfortunately most people never move beyond material things to realize the power they have and the changes they can create.

If you are ambitious, look up Plato's scale of reasoning and the divided line.

I agree. Sometimes I think that people such as you and me should simply bypass all the politicians and act of our own accord. Either we favour the preservation of nature and the environment or we do nothing and simply let businessmen and politicians pollute the planet.
I wonder how many Americans have ever sat down behind a table and talked to the average Iraqi. It would be surprising how many views would change as a result. It's mainly politicians and companies who create divisions between peoples and nations, since it suits them. We imagine we are all on different sides of the fence but most normal people seek harmony and peace.
I never had any quarrel with any Iraqi. So far as I'm concerned, their oil is their oil and Iraq is their country. So long as they don't attack us first, I have no gripe against them. The same goes for Jews, Moslems, blacks, yellow people or whatever.
I wonder why we allow ourselves to be fooled that the other guy over the fence is always out to do us down, just because they happen to have an unpleasant regime.

nanook08 said:
While I think that Ali did amazing things, you are missing the point that it is not about any particular person: Lance, Ali, whoever. It's not about who did what, it's about people doing something, anything...

It's actually something above this all; it's about people realizing that others out there are suffering, in many ways, and we are upset that our cell phone dropped a call, or that the cable in our summer house isn't hooked up imediately. material things just clutter our lives up and deceive us into thinking that they are more important than than the love between people. So it's not about Ali doing more than Lance, it's about people in general realizing that they can do something, that they can make a difference, and that they will be rewarded in amazing ways. And we look to celebrities to make a visible stand for certain causes and to be generous becuase they have the financial ability to do so. Unfortunately most people never move beyond material things to realize the power they have and the changes they can create.

If you are ambitious, look up Plato's scale of reasoning and the divided line.