Lance and Bents

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by A&B, Feb 3, 2003.

  1. A&B

    A&B Guest

  2. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

    Not meaning to sound like Tom Sherman,[just kidding Tom] but what Lance said was one was 3' off
    ground ,the bent, and the other was 6' off the ground, the upright. Ben Fox "Joshua Goldberg"
    <[email protected]> wrote in message news:A1F%[email protected]...
    > He must have been talking about fully faired bents when he said bents are
    3
    > and 6 feet of the ground...otherwise he was kidding.
    > "a&b" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > What's up with this? http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/3437.0.html bg

  3. Well guys you know what this means...A Bent Geezer has infiltrated the camp of the philistines, too
    bad they made him sound like he had alzimers. Maybe it was Lances long missing Father. Denny in
    Sayre, Pa "Bent but not Broken" www.recumbentstuff.com "Home of the Recumbent T"

  4. I knew that............just testing.
    -----------------------------------
    "Ben Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Not meaning to sound like Tom Sherman,[just kidding Tom] but what Lance
    said
    > was one was 3' off ground ,the bent, and the other was 6' off the ground, the upright. Ben Fox
    > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:A1F%[email protected]...
    > > He must have been talking about fully faired bents when he said bents
    are
    > 3
    > > and 6 feet of the ground...otherwise he was kidding.

    > > "a&b" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > What's up with this? http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/3437.0.html bg

  5. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    AP - Monday, February 3, 2003

    TORONTO, CANADA - Investigators have a new lead in their investigation of the critical shortage of
    periods in the city. It is believed that a
    Mr. Joshua Goldberg has been obtaining a large quantity of these punctuation marks on the black
    market and is transferring them to the Usenet. Toronto Police attempted to question Mr. Goldberg
    on Sunday, but he escaped by means of a Compact Long Wheelbase recumbent bicycle. Citizens are
    requested to report to the local authorities any instances of a rider on such a bicycle riding
    in the downtown area. Mr. Goldberg may be recognized by his wild riding style and his frequent
    use of demonstrative gestures towards motor vehicle operators. He has also been known to use the
    alias "Wile E. Coyote." Authorities do not recommend approaching Mr. Goldberg to closely, as he
    has been known to cause significant damage to motor vehicles.

  6. I like this I do however spell too with both Os................. I drive a tadpole with a rollbar,
    side impact bars and dual electric brakes, but on occasion I ride a CLWB. Was thinking that my
    tadpole is starting to look more and more like a SUV.....hmmm SUV Envy. &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& (look no
    periods) &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Joshua Goldberg wrote:
    > >
    > > I knew that............just testing.
    >
    > AP - Monday, February 3, 2003
    >
    > TORONTO, CANADA - Investigators have a new lead in their investigation of the critical shortage of
    > periods in the city. It is believed that a
    > Mr. Joshua Goldberg has been obtaining a large quantity of these punctuation marks on the black
    > market and is transferring them to the Usenet. Toronto Police attempted to question Mr.
    > Goldberg on Sunday, but he escaped by means of a Compact Long Wheelbase recumbent bicycle.
    > Citizens are requested to report to the local authorities any instances of a rider on such a
    > bicycle riding in the downtown area. Mr. Goldberg may be recognized by his wild riding style
    > and his frequent use of demonstrative gestures towards motor vehicle operators. He has also
    > been known to use the alias "Wile E. Coyote." Authorities do not recommend approaching Mr.
    > Goldberg to closely, as he has been known to cause significant damage to motor vehicles.

  7. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    I actually didn't get *anything* as arrogant as the writer's attitude in Lance's response. What I
    got was a lot of self conscious appeal to "groupthink" on the part of the writer of the piece.
    Like "aren't old people foolish" sorta thing. Like it won't happen to them. (Not the "foolish"
    thing. That already got them. The "old thing," that's gaining on them.) Oh well. Life, or
    something like it.

    --
    --Scott [email protected] Cut the "tail" to send email.

    "a&b" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > What's up with this? http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/3437.0.html bg

  8. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    Ben,

    No danger, you didn't use footnotes.

    "Ben Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Not meaning to sound like Tom Sherman,[just kidding Tom] but what Lance
    said
    > was one was 3' off ground ,the bent, and the other was 6' off the ground, the upright. Ben Fox
    > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:A1F%[email protected]...
    > > He must have been talking about fully faired bents when he said bents
    are
    > 3
    > > and 6 feet of the ground...otherwise he was kidding.

    > > "a&b" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > What's up with this? http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/3437.0.html bg

  9. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    Hmm...friendly humor? Or a veiled effort to point out that the actual puncuation mark called for
    here, the ellipsis, is constructed of three evenly spaced dots, with spaces between the ellipsis and
    surrounding letters or other marks [1]. This assumes, however, that Mr. Goldberg is usinig said
    punctuation mark correctly, but the inference to correct use, over and above correct construction,
    cannot be determined from the satirical psuedo news release in question.

    Tom, I'm going to assume that is is friendly humor (though I have a suspicion that deep inside, you
    are really correcting Joshua. But, at least you are attempting to mask said correction in a more
    socially acceptable format) . And, I am officially finished with this diversion.

    [1] The Punctuation Tree at http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/marks/marks.htm

  10. "baronn1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Tom, I'm going to assume that is is friendly humor (though I have a
    suspicion that deep inside, you are really correcting Joshua.

    You want to be really careful about doing that. And messing with his brake cables. Unlike his
    Biblical counterpart, Joshua has a Falcon airhorn and not a mere trumpet ... But like his Biblical
    counterpart, he does know how to employ it.

  11. My take on the article is a very positive one. Lance is truly a competitor that looks at all aspects
    of cycling, including the aerodynamics, with the ultimate result being, how to go FAST. He clearly
    admitted that recumbo's are aerodynamically superior.
    LA: [interrupting] Well, one of them sits three feet off the ground and the other sits about six
    feet off the ground, so aerodynamically, it's far superior. Sadly Lance is still locked into a
    bicycle competition industry that refuses to (Or at least is VERY SLOW to) yield to newer
    technologies and designs and must conform to it's OLD Traditional rules and regulations. Should
    that Model T institution ever break out of it's traditional ways, I'm pretty sure you would see
    Lance, Trek or any other bicycle manufacturer / competitor, JUMP ON and compete with recumbent
    designs. (Look at the photography industry. They resisted departing from film use cameras for
    years and now, it's actually film and film processing that's getting hard to find) Too bad
    there's no recumbo manufacturer with deep pockets to offer Lance some sort of $$$ to ride, try
    or even just sit on their recumbent. One famous VIP celebrity, seen on a recumbo and they
    probably would be flying out the recumbo bicycle stores! (IMHO of course...) EZ Biker :)
    Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti, Tailwind and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

    "a&b" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > What's up with this? http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/3437.0.html bg

  12. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 02:55:53 -0500, "Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I actually didn't get *anything* as arrogant as the writer's attitude in Lance's response.

    More than that, Lance appeared quite open to the idea of riding a 'bent if the Luddites at UCI were
    ever to make it out of the 19th Century.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  13. Brian Martin

    Brian Martin Guest

    Does this mean that Joshua has to go around the city of Toronto seven days and all the SUV's will
    fall apart!

    clip >> Jos 6:16 And it came to pass at the seventh time, when the priests blew with the trumpets,
    Joshua said unto the people, Shout; for the LORD hath given you the city. unclip <<

    Brian

    Zippy the Pinhead wrote:
    > "baronn1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Tom, I'm going to assume that is is friendly humor (though I have a
    >
    > suspicion that deep inside, you are really correcting Joshua.
    >
    > You want to be really careful about doing that. And messing with his brake cables. Unlike his
    > Biblical counterpart, Joshua has a Falcon airhorn and not a mere trumpet ... But like his Biblical
    > counterpart, he does know how to employ it.

  14. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Joshua Goldberg wrote:

    > I like this I do however spell too with both Os...

    I have thoroughly chastised the copy editor for missing the typographical error.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    Dragonflyer, Sidewalker Micro, Trek 6000

  15. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Joshua Goldberg wrote:

    > ... I drive a tadpole with a rollbar, side impact bars and dual electric brakes...

    Are these brakes assist motors run as alternators or generators to a resistor network so as to
    dissipate electrical energy as heat? [1]

    [1] This type of braking system is commonly found on diesel/electric hybrid vehicles such as
    railroad locomotives and the larger off-road haul trucks.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    Dragonflyer, Sidewalker Micro, Trek 6000

  16. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    "EZ Biker :)" wrote:

    > ... Sadly Lance is still locked into a bicycle competition industry...

    When Mr. Armstrong retires from professional road racing, I would like to see him attempt to set the
    hour record in a high percentage laminar flow design lowracer streamliner, as he certainly has one
    of the highest sustainable power outputs (relative to body size) of any cyclist.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    Dragonflyer, Sidewalker Micro, Trek 6000

  17. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

    HUH? foot notes ,what are those,notes written on the bottom of ones foot? Ben fox "baronn1"
    > Ben,
    >
    > No danger, you didn't use footnotes.
    >
    > "Ben Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Not meaning to sound like Tom Sherman,[just kidding Tom] but what Lance
    > said
    > > was one was 3' off ground ,the bent, and the other was 6' off the
    ground,
    > > the upright. Ben Fox "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:A1F%[email protected]...
    > > > He must have been talking about fully faired bents when he said bents
    > are
    > > 3
    > > > and 6 feet of the ground...otherwise he was kidding.

    > > --

  18. Ben Fox asked:

    > HUH? foot notes ,what are those,notes written on the bottom of ones foot?

    Absolutely. As in:

    "There is nothing better in life than writing on the sole of your slipper with a biro on a Saturday
    night instead of going to the pub"

    from "The Best Things In Life", Half Man Half Biscuit.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  19. Hel-Bent

    Hel-Bent Guest