Lance and Bents

Rickey Horwitz wrote:

> With recumbent sales at ever-growing numbers, you would think that these people would take them a
> bit more seriously.

Hmm. IIRC mountain bikes had *much* more market presence than recumbents do before "serious"
cyclists realised that they weren't going to go away...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 10:09:15 -0000, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Half Man Half Biscuit.

I always wondered whether that was a surrealist statement or an incredients list.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 16:20:58 GMT, "Hel-bent" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I guess it must be the laughter that I found offensive. With recumbent sales at ever-growing
>numbers, you would think that these people would take them a bit more seriously.

Think of it this way: you're going to ask a question of probably the greatest cyclist in the world.
Don't you think that a teensy bit of background research might be called for? I have yet to see a
recumbent FAQ which doesn't include a reference to François Fauré.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Actually, I thought some of the questions asked were very good, although some were brain dead.
However, the point or question I'm trying to drive home here is; Why is it that the main-stream
cyclist laugh whenever the the word recumbent is mentioned or asked?

--
Rickey Horwitz Hell-bent Cycle Works http://www.hellbentcycles.com

On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 18:34:47 GMT, "Hel-bent" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Why is it that the main-stream cyclist laugh whenever the the word recumbent is mentioned or asked?

TBF I don't think Lance was laughing. He gave a reasoned response. I think we could have done with a
better advocate on the day :)

Perhaps "Mr Armstrong, how do you feel the design of your bike might develop if it wasn't held back
through arbitrary design rules? Would that prospect excite greater competition?" or some such. No
doubt many of our number could put it much better. But either way, by my reading Lance comes out of
it rather well. Score one for old fashioned Southern politeness, I guess.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

"Hel-bent" <[email protected]> wrote in news:b%S0a.13874$%[email protected]:

> Actually, I thought some of the questions asked were very good, although some were brain dead.
> However, the point or question I'm trying to drive home here is; Why is it that the main-stream
> cyclist laugh whenever the the word recumbent is mentioned or asked?

Last summer, I met a guy from the local bike club at a public bike function. He almost immediately
began taking jabs at the recumbent and me for riding
it. Mind you, this is a guy I'd only just met. There is a way of speaking, but sending a much
different feeling "behind" the message. While sitting relaxed and comfy on my bike, I calmly
asked "Do you realize that I could be offended by what you are saying?" The feeling I sent was
"keep it up *&%#@*& and you're going to the hospital". I made no threatening gestures. He
immediately began to apologize. Pretty funny to see, actually because I am not a big guy with a
foreboding presence (just ask MLB), and the guy was well over 6 feet tall. I wonder if deep
down, people feel so threatened that they must defend and ridicule for the status quo. Sort of
like homophobes. Recumbephobia!

rorschandt

Maybe it is the weather up here (Toronto), but I am getting a different reaction to bents. In the
last 2 years I have NOT got a single Mtb rider taking a swipe at Recumbents. What I am
seeing/hearing is that the Mtb riders are becoming increasingly bored and tired of what they are
riding and are looking for something new, something more challenging. One of the main reasons Mtb
sales have flatlined is that nothing really new is coming out anymore. Mtb designers are just
re-working what already exists...little tweaks that do NOT justify the large price increases being
asked and the Mtb rider is now figuring this all out.

You still have hardcore cyclists who will go without food to save for a new carbon wheel....but you
get fanatics in bentdom too (we just don't hear them here because they cannot afford to pay for the
internet)...re: carbon wheelset 1st, rent 2nd, food 3rd...ISP 8th.

I figure if we can get more "group rides" going (all bents), then you'll see a dramatic shift in Mtb
riders crossing over to bents. Having a few more females on group rides won't hurt either. There is
a large number of Mtb/Road cyclists who LIVE for the group experience, the belonging, the total lack
of personality that is overlooked because their TREK is just like several other TREKs in their
group. You also get that...mine is better than yours routine, like somehow owning a $4K Mtb makes
you a better rider/person....spell moron.

I did not go bent 25 years ago because I wanted to join a group or stand out in a crowd. I went bent
because my 1st bent was a MASA Slingshot and I had always wanted a Go-Kart as a child and my mother
would not let me have one. The Slingshot was my Go-Kart. Had I wanted a Submarine as a kid I'd
probably be in the Navy now....and Sigmund I don't even want to know why I need to smoke 9 inch
Super Corona Cuban cigars.

I reason that everytime a bent cycle is seen on the road, a DF rider will register that in his
memory. Everytime after this he sees a bent, a file folder is opened in the brain and at some point
he'll be interested enough to explore benting.

Everytime one of ours rides a SWB and does an Arte Johnson or a Delta flips in a turn, the DF
cyclist decides to close the File Folder and stick with his DF. When I was trying to learn how to
ride an Avatar 20 some years ago, I spent more time driving into trees, shrubbery, gardens, parked
cars etc....that 100s of DF riders decided what I was doing really did NOT look like something they
wanted to do.

We are all a rolling advertisement for bents. I myself seem to attract the interest of Extreme Mtb
Cyclists...gee considering how I ride I wonder why that is? (this is not a question btw so no 4 days
of posts needed to tell me why).

Like when I ride one of my my bents equipped with an E-Motor, I get stopped constantly by other
cyclists wanting information about the motor drive. Same thing is happening when I use my bent
HPV...cyclists stop me asking how it works, costs etc.

The curiosity factor is there for bents now, the next step is reinforcing via more bents on the
street, lower prices and availability (SUN/EZs are a good start as an Intro bent). Wizwheel/Terra is
good for attracting cyclists to trikes.

Get the sticker price shock issue aside with a slew of low cost, minimal learning curve Intro bents
and more DF riders will cross over.

Like an entire Club of EZ-1 cyclists will bring in far more DF cyclists than will an entire Club of
faired Titanium TEs...because of the sticker price shock.

I may be alone here, but I have been riding around for 2 years with a small coil notebook of web
addresses for bent builders/bent stores and I carry business cards for suppliers of various bent
specific products. I got tired of people asking me for info about.....gee what would be a low cost
bent or where can I buy one, who gives demos etc. I never show up on time anymore because I am
giving roadside lectures about bents.

I also write to (some) companies asking for business cards/printed literature or permission to
printout their website info...just so I have info available to pass out to the people who exhibit an
interest in bents. Most of the contact info I have saved to memory so printed stuff is not needed.
Weird as Hell, BikeE sent me stuff to promote their products...the info package arrived 2 days
(after) BikeE went glug.

IF only 10% of bent riders became vocal Ambassadors for bents, sales would go up quite a bit. I get
the vibe often that DF cyclists view bents with a degree of confusion and they have a preconceived
belief that if does not have a DF look to it...the learning curve would be too great and to avoid
snickers from their peers...they'll stick to what they know how to ride.

BRIBE ME..c'mon Ricky Comar.

Since bent companies tend to NOT advertise (beyond) word of mouth....and THAT hasn't worked too well
now has it?

Why not incorporate a Cash or Discount incentive into bents. Like if you convince someone to buy a
Badsey E-Scooter, Badsey kicks back $100. (I think it is $100.) to you as a reward for helping them
pay their rent.

Like you become an "Associate Dealer" for a bent company you like. Say you ride a Vision and Vision
says (hypothetically) you convince someone to buy a Vision and we'll pay you $100.00 or give you a
discount on an Upgrade etc. THEN you have an incentive to flog Vision bents. You win via
cash/upgrades, Vision wins because they sell more, the person who buys the bent just became your
friend....nobody loses.

Taking this a step further, you ride a Vision or a Baron, then you will be an Associate Dealer of
Vision or Baron, BUT why stop there? Why not be an Associate Dealer for (as many companies who will
accept you)?

Imagine the damage this idea will have if 10 companies set up this program and 10 companies do
not...I'd bet the 10 who did not will NOT be paying their rent.

It HAS to be Industry Wide to work.

Am NOT talking taking a Tricky **** approach, no rude or lying snake in the grass hardsell salesman
stuff. Just cyclists who Care about increasing our presence 1st and like the $ part 2nd.

Side Note: I mentioned to a whoesaler a couple of years ago that I loved their product sooo much,
I'd be willing to hand out any printed literature they had to (promote) their product. The
wholesaler delivered both the requested literature AND some of his Stock (free)...so I'd have
something to demo. Nice eh? I then wrote back and happened to mention that...I loved the product
sooo much I would sell WITHOUT a Penny in profit for myself. Nice kinda guy that I am. Wholesaler
went ballistic on me...he fell slightly shy of calling me a Commie. Seems the whole idea of my
liking his product was good, telling him I would promote his product ..was good too, but Sell
(without my taking a Cut....utter blasphemy). His ANGRY comment was: IF I let you do this, then
other customers will do this to and THEN....oh SH*T...I'd make a ton of sales wouldn't I??? Like a
light bulb went off in his head, needless to say the company setup an "Associate Dealer" program
really fast.

I said this last year (here), give away 10 bents to "experienced" bent cyclists who live in Target
Markets and that company will generate sales of THAT bent that will easily cover the loss of the 10
bents...and the company name will be fixed into people's minds.

Selling the 1st 10 Bents in a Target market (has NOT worked) so far has it?

People like **** Ryan will add that a bent builder (cannot afford) to just give away bents and he
may be correct. BUT my 1st Schwinn was given away free by Schwinn as a promotional offer and I
bought 3 more and all my friends bought the same model I had, my 1st Peugeot was given away and I
bought 2 more and half the club I rode with went out and bought the same model.

Sometimes IF you wanna play in the same league as the big companies, you gotta play the game the
way they do.

Now let the weekend posting wars begin!

P.S. ever notice when U spell check the word Trike you get Trice...I wonder if that little British
Engineering company making bents and is getting very wealthy doing it, came up with Trice via a
spell checker...maybe I'll ask em.

"rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Hel-bent" <[email protected]> wrote in news:b%S0a.13874$%[email protected]:
>
> > Actually, I thought some of the questions asked were very good, although some were brain dead.
> > However, the point or question I'm trying to drive home here is; Why is it that the main-stream
> > cyclist laugh whenever the the word recumbent is mentioned or asked?
>
> Last summer, I met a guy from the local bike club at a public bike function. He almost immediately
> began taking jabs at the recumbent and me for riding
> it. Mind you, this is a guy I'd only just met. There is a way of speaking, but sending a much
> different feeling "behind" the message. While sitting relaxed and comfy on my bike, I calmly
> asked "Do you realize that I could be offended by what you are saying?" The feeling I sent was
> "keep it up *&%#@*& and you're going to the hospital". I made no threatening gestures. He
> immediately began to apologize. Pretty funny to see, actually because I am not a big guy with
> a foreboding presence (just ask MLB), and the guy
was
> well over 6 feet tall. I wonder if deep down, people feel so threatened that they must defend
and
> ridicule for the status quo. Sort of like homophobes. Recumbephobia!
>
> rorschandt

news:<[email protected]>...

> We are all a rolling advertisement for bents. I myself seem to attract the interest of Extreme Mtb
> Cyclists...gee considering how I ride I wonder why that is? (this is not a question btw so no 4
> days of posts needed to tell me why).

I ignored the "sore thumb" appearence 22 years ago, but a rolling advertisement is very very true
nowadays. I shrugged off the advertising scheme since I was just 'getting from here to there' but
the 1999 S&B spoiled me with adding the fun factor; and people seemed to notice! Hard to keep a
straight face when one wheel hops up, or the tires squeal into a skid! Extreme fun!! Especially
putting an e-motor on a low-cost trike that shouldn't move that quickly! .

> Like when I ride one of my my bents equipped with an E-Motor, I get stopped constantly by other
> cyclists wanting information about the motor drive. Same thing is happening when I use my bent
> HPV...cyclists stop me asking how it works, costs etc

My recent trike is a WizWheelz, and I really think I am even more of an advertisement than I was. I
have nothing to do with the company, but that quick turning is a blast!!! No e-motor yet, but a
terrific candidate - so SOON. I am not thrilled about the lower gearing, but I keep hearing about
the lithium battery not holding a charge as long after more draw with a higher gear and 20" wheel
combination. Time will tell!

Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.