Lance and Bicycling

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Fread, Feb 18, 2004.

  1. Fread

    Fread Guest

    Lance is the greatest thing to happen to bicycling ever!

    It is too bad that many of us hate Lance because he is just better than we will ever be, ever.

    It is just in the amount of training that he does, and many of you do not push your limits to become
    great, some of you can be called too lazy to succeed.

    Try dressing like Lance, or watching videos about Lance, and pickup his style, and it will work for
    you also. Lance has it made because he worked hard at it, some of us have and most haven’t.

    Besides Lance has made millions at it, and we haven’t. Something you are doing, or not doing is
    preventing you from succeeding! Get out there and try harder! Or give up and go play with yourself.

    Lance is the greatest thing to happen to bicycling ever!

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] wrote:
    > Lance is the greatest thing to happen to bicycling ever!
    >
    > It is too bad that many of us hate Lance because he is just better than we will ever be, ever.
    >
    > It is just in the amount of training that he does, and many of you do not push your limits to
    > become great, some of you can be called too lazy to succeed.
    >
    > Try dressing like Lance, or watching videos about Lance, and pickup his style, and it will work
    > for you also. Lance has it made because he worked hard at it, some of us have and most haven’t.
    >
    > Besides Lance has made millions at it, and we haven’t. Something you are doing, or not doing is
    > preventing you from succeeding! Get out there and try harder! Or give up and go play with
    > yourself.
    >
    > Lance is the greatest thing to happen to bicycling ever!

    OK, please let me do it this time . . .

    Troll-o-meter 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ^
    1.5

  3. There are genuine reasons to dislike Lance Armstrong
    1. He has done nothing for cyclists . He has pandered to pro car Americans to maximise his sponsor
    ship , when he is ideally placed with his mate Bush to get a fair deal.
    2. He has no respect for the TDF history and is plain rude to the French ie "shame TDF is held
    in France"
    3. A young family that won't have a father.
    4. His total; support of Bush and the toxic texans pro war and anti environment policies
    5. Only focuses on one race
    6. His treatment of people in general . Why do all his riders leave ?

  4. Lindsay

    Lindsay Guest

    On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:36:01 +0000 (UTC), "andyandhelen.briggs"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >There are genuine reasons to dislike Lance Armstrong
    >1. He has done nothing for cyclists . He has pandered to pro car Americans to maximise his sponsor
    > ship , when he is ideally placed with his mate Bush to get a fair deal.
    >2. He has no respect for the TDF history and is plain rude to the French ie "shame TDF is held in
    > France"
    >3. A young family that won't have a father.
    >4. His total; support of Bush and the toxic texans pro war and anti environment policies
    >5. Only focuses on one race
    >6. His treatment of people in general . Why do all his riders leave ?

    Wow. How can one person be this stupid. Oh wait, it looks like it took two people to be this dumb.
    That makes more sense.

  5. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    "andyandhelen.briggs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > There are genuine reasons to dislike Lance Armstrong
    > 1. He has done nothing for cyclists . He has pandered to pro car Americans to maximise his sponsor
    > ship , when he is ideally placed with his mate
    Bush
    > to get a fair deal.
    > 2. He has no respect for the TDF history and is plain rude to the French
    ie
    > "shame TDF is held in France"
    > 3. A young family that won't have a father.
    > 4. His total; support of Bush and the toxic texans pro war and anti environment policies
    > 5. Only focuses on one race
    > 6. His treatment of people in general . Why do all his riders leave ?

    Ah, but he doesn't take drugs now does he? At least not outside of what he had to for cancer. Now
    to borrow a line from Pedalchick, can we get back to talking about Leontien, oops , I meant
    fabulous Fabi?

  6. J Jones

    J Jones Guest

    <[email protected]>; <"Merks <LA"@LAfoundation.org> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Lance is the greatest thing to happen to bicycling ever!
    >
    > It is too bad that many of us hate Lance because he is just better than we will ever be, ever.
    >
    > It is just in the amount of training that he does, and many of you do not push your limits to
    > become great, some of you can be called too lazy to succeed.
    >
    > Try dressing like Lance, or watching videos about Lance, and pickup his style, and it will work
    > for you also. Lance has it made because he worked hard at it, some of us have and most haven't.
    >
    > Besides Lance has made millions at it, and we haven't. Something you are doing, or not doing is
    > preventing you from succeeding! Get out there and try harder! Or give up and go play with
    > yourself.
    >
    > Lance is the greatest thing to happen to bicycling ever!

    Can I try hard AND play with myself? I mean, that would be ideal, don't you think? Jeff

  7. Mike Krueger

    Mike Krueger Guest

    << There are genuine reasons to dislike Lance Armstrong
    1. He has done nothing for cyclists . He has pandered to pro car Americans to maximise his sponsor
    ship , when he is ideally placed with his mate Bush to get a fair deal.
    2. He has no respect for the TDF history and is plain rude to the French ie "shame TDF is held
    in France"
    3. A young family that won't have a father.
    4. His total; support of Bush and the toxic texans pro war and anti environment policies
    5. Only focuses on one race
    6. His treatment of people in general . Why do all his riders leave ? >>

    7. Lance has done more to popularize cycling in the USA than anyone since Ignatz Schwinn. You don't
    own a car?
    8. Lance has enough respect for TDF history to keep making it. And the French invented rudeness.
    9. His kids still have a father, as well as financial security for the rest of their lives. What
    they don't have is a mother who could get along with their father.
    10. Millions of Americans support our President. What do your political views have to do
    with cycling?
    11. The object of pro football is to win the Super Bowl. Do football players focus on one game?
    12. I don't have your personal knowledge of how Lance treats "people in general". Not all his
    teammates have left the team, only those who had personal aspirations, and did not want to be
    domestiques anymore. You can't blame him or them for that.

    I don't like or dislike Lance personally-I don't know him-but I admire him tremendously. I don' t
    think he's interested in popularity contests. He's a professional athlete. I've met a number of pro
    athletes, and they all have huge egos, personal flaws, and are as selfish as anyone else.

  8. Clovis Lark

    Clovis Lark Guest

    andyandhelen.briggs <[email protected]> wrote:
    > There are genuine reasons to dislike Lance Armstrong

    Sure there are. But you need different ones than the ones below...

    > 1. He has done nothing for cyclists . He has pandered to pro car Americans to maximise his sponsor
    > ship , when he is ideally placed with his mate Bush to get a fair deal.

    Cyclists Combatting Cancer is certainly designed to improve awaremness of both disease and cycling.
    He has publicized his training regimen for other athletes and cyclists like you.

    > 2. He has no respect for the TDF history and is plain rude to the French ie "shame TDF is held in
    > France"

    Excepts from Abt's article at the end of last year's Tour:

    "An informal poll of fans during the three-week race showed full appreciation of Armstrong's feats
    and nearly unanimous respect for him. Again and again, people at the sides of the Tour's many roads
    described him "un grand monsieur," roughly translatable as "a class act." . Farther down the road,
    the counterman in a sandwich shop spoke for the defense. "I stopped following the sport because of
    all the drugs," he said. "When Armstrong began winning, I came back, since I can't believe anybody
    who had cancer would take no matter what drugs. He's revived the sport. Him, he's un grand
    monsieur." . No doubt about it, in the judgment of the French and everyone else, he has. PARIS In a
    little-noticed ceremony, the many photographers who cover the Tour de France awarded their Prix
    Orange to Lance Armstrong, honoring him last week as the most cooperative rider. In a way, though,
    it mirrors a change in the attitudes of French spectators toward the American winner of the last
    five Tours. . He left the speaker's lectern to loud applause from the mainly French crowd. So it
    went throughout the Tour: cheers at the sign-in for every daily stage, an abundance of posters
    supporting him in French . Asked a few days ago about his reaction to the horde of fans with
    American flags along the route, he said, "Many times you get next to them and it's a French person.
    It's strange, but many times it happens. I can't complain about the kind of support it is, it's much
    appreciated." . Then he spoke, as he often did before the Tour, about the need to repair French-
    American relations strained by the war in Iraq. All his efforts have won over the crowd. An informal
    poll of fans during the three-week race showed full appreciation of Armstrong's feats and nearly
    unanimous respect for him. Again and again, people at the sides of the Tour's many roads described
    him "un grand monsieur," roughly translatable as "a class act."

    > 3. A young family that won't have a father.

    Would you prefer 2 adults who can't stand each other to stay together to make their children
    experience the pain?

    > 4. His total; support of Bush and the toxic texans pro war and anti environment policies

    A lie:Agence France-Presse

    BRUSSELS, Belgium (February 15, 2003 3:31 p.m. EST) - Four-time Tour de France winner Lance
    Armstrong said Saturday it would be "dangerous" for the United States to carry out a unilateral
    strike against Iraq.

    "I know George Bush well, having met him about 20 times, and I support him, but going ahead with
    this war without the support of Europe would be dangerous. I'm not a 'fan' of war, or of Saddam
    Hussein, and even less so of terrorism. But it would be a mistake to engage in war without the
    backing of the United Nations and Europe,"

    A month later:

    March 10, 2003 The Guardian

    Lance Armstrong, who is close to George W Bush, has told the president that he is opposed to war in
    Iraq. "He's a personal friend of mine but we've all got the right not to agree with our friends. I
    think we ought to consider the opinion of other strong nations," he added. "Entering in a unilateral
    way into the war is an error. But he has got all the information, he's the president and my opinion
    doesn't really matter. I'd always opt for a peaceful solution and not for a war."

    > 5. Only focuses on one race

    True, and a shame. But there is no requirement, as in other sports, for cyclists to enter x amount
    of events and do well enough in them to be invited to an event. Procycling focuses on teams and
    invites as the teams as a whole produce.

    > 6. His treatment of people in general . Why do all his riders leave ?

    Because they are good enough to lead teams, given the chance? (Hamilton, Heras)

  9. Daremo

    Daremo New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2003
    This forum and its anti-American/anti-Bush rhetoric is starting to get so pathetic ..........

    If everyone here wants to sit and bash Americans, go to some political newsgroup, not on a cycling forum .............

    dumbass ...........

  10. Curt

    Curt Guest

    Is this all one person or is this a few people fixated on if people like or dislike Lance? Why do
    people care so much about this? It seems this is a daily topic with different titles and gets tons
    of responses. It is amazing how this topic is beat to death. I can't imagine this is a group of
    people, it must be one or two people using different author names. I mean there can't be that many
    people that bored, can there?

    Very strange topic. Sounds like back in the seventh grade. Pssst, he likes you and pssst, she like
    him. Goodness, how silly.

    Curt

    <[email protected]>; <"Merks <LA"@LAfoundation.org> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Lance is the greatest thing to happen to bicycling ever!
    >
    > It is too bad that many of us hate Lance because he is just better than we will ever be, ever.
    >
    > It is just in the amount of training that he does, and many of you do not push your limits to
    > become great, some of you can be called too lazy to succeed.
    >
    > Try dressing like Lance, or watching videos about Lance, and pickup his style, and it will work
    > for you also. Lance has it made because he worked hard at it, some of us have and most haven't.
    >
    > Besides Lance has made millions at it, and we haven't. Something you are doing, or not doing is
    > preventing you from succeeding! Get out there and try harder! Or give up and go play with
    > yourself.
    >
    > Lance is the greatest thing to happen to bicycling ever!

  11. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Mike Krueger" <[email protected].com> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    m21.aol.com... .
    > 3. His kids still have a father, as well as financial security for the rest of their lives. What
    > they don't have is a mother who could get along with their father.

    You don't seriously believe your own stupidity in this statement do you?

    Dave

  12. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    "Daremo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:8%PYb.94653$%[email protected]...
    > Andyandhelen.Br wrote:
    > > 1. He has done nothing for cyclists . He has pandered to pro car Americans to maximise his
    > > sponsor ship , when he is ideally placed with his mate Bush to get a fair deal.
    > > 2. His total; support of Bush and the toxic texans pro war and anti environment policies
    >

    > This forum and its anti-American/anti-Bush rhetoric is starting to get so pathetic ..........
    >
    > If everyone here wants to sit and bash Americans, go to some political newsgroup, not on a cycling
    > forum .............
    >
    > dumbass ...........

    You can't use dumbass in this newsgroup. That trademark belongs to the supreme ruler.

  13. "Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    <SNIP>
    > > 5. Only focuses on one race
    >
    > True, and a shame. But there is no requirement, as in other sports, for cyclists to enter x amount
    > of events and do well enough in them to be invited to an event. Procycling focuses on teams and
    > invites as the teams as a whole produce.

    Other than Tyler Hamilton, can anyone name another TdF contender who was successful throughout the
    season - focused on more than one race ? Maybe Roberto Heras?

    -T

  14. Vino,

    James

    "Tom Schulenburg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > <SNIP>
    > > > 5. Only focuses on one race
    > >
    > > True, and a shame. But there is no requirement, as in other sports, for cyclists to enter x
    > > amount of events and do well enough in them to be invited to an event. Procycling focuses on
    > > teams and invites as the
    teams
    > > as a whole produce.
    > >

    > Other than Tyler Hamilton, can anyone name another TdF contender who was successful throughout the
    > season - focused on more than one race ? Maybe Roberto Heras?
    >
    > -T

  15. "James P. Spooner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Vino,

    Good Call. My point is, there's not a whole lot of results being turned in by the Grand Tour winners
    in general. What did Jan do the rest of the year?

    -T

  16. Dan Connelly

    Dan Connelly Guest

    This is a silly example. Vino lost. Hamilton lost. For Armstrong, being competitive year-long, and
    finishing third or second in the Tour is failure, period. He's there to win. Winning is worth
    sacrificing a whole season of week-long and one-day results.

    In any case, how is Hamilton a counterexample to Armstrong? Armstrong has always been competitive
    in a classic or two, and a preparatory week-long stage race. This is essentially what Hamilton
    did in 2003.

    Dan

    James P. Spooner wrote:
    > Vino,
    >
    > James
    >

    > "Tom Schulenburg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>"Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >><SNIP>

    >>>True, and a shame. But there is no requirement, as in other sports, for cyclists to enter x
    >>>amount of events and do well enough in them to be invited to an event. Procycling focuses on
    >>>teams and invites as the
    >
    > teams
    >
    >>>as a whole produce.
    >>>

    >>Other than Tyler Hamilton, can anyone name another TdF contender who was successful throughout the
    >>season - focused on more than one race ? Maybe Roberto Heras?

  17. Bitey

    Bitey Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >There are genuine reasons to dislike Lance Armstrong
    >1. He has done nothing for cyclists . He has pandered to pro car Americans to maximise his sponsor
    > ship , when he is ideally placed with his mate Bush to get a fair deal.
    >2. He has no respect for the TDF history and is plain rude to the French ie "shame TDF is held in
    > France"
    >3. A young family that won't have a father.
    >4. His total; support of Bush and the toxic texans pro war and anti environment policies
    >5. Only focuses on one race
    >6. His treatment of people in general . Why do all his riders leave ?

    Texans have been directly linked to the recent scourge of scams from Nigeria:

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,1108537,00.html

  18. Rick Roof

    Rick Roof Guest

    Ever heard of Stephen Roche? Didn't he win the Giro, Le Tour, and the Worlds. What about another guy
    named Eddy something????

    "James P. Spooner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Vino,
    >
    > James
    >

    > "Tom Schulenburg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > <SNIP>
    > > >
    > > > True, and a shame. But there is no requirement, as in other sports,
    for
    > > > cyclists to enter x amount of events and do well enough in them to be invited to an event.
    > > > Procycling focuses on teams and invites as the
    > teams
    > > > as a whole produce.
    > > >

    > > Other than Tyler Hamilton, can anyone name another TdF contender who was successful throughout
    > > the season - focused on more than one race ?
    Maybe
    > > Roberto Heras?
    > >
    > > -T

  19. H Squared

    H Squared Guest

    Rick Roof wrote:

    > Ever heard of Stephen Roche? Didn't he win the Giro, Le Tour, and the Worlds. What about another
    > guy named Eddy something????

    i thought they were talking specifically about last year, but you know how it goes...

    heather

  20. Mike Gladu

    Mike Gladu Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Bitey
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Texans have been directly linked to the recent scourge of scams from Nigeria:
    >
    > http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,1108537,00.html

    Did you just 'Google' the word "Texan" and then pick a link at random?

    From the GUARDIAN no less.

    Jackass.

    Mike Gladu - Cycling Photojournalist & webmaster of "the 'drome" Email: mikeatvelodromedotcom
    Online: http://www.velodrome.com/