Lance and the cross

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Shansen102, Jul 23, 2003.

  1. Shansen102

    Shansen102 Guest

    I noticed that Lance is wearing a cross around his neck. Does anyone know the significance of this
    for Lance?

    Tags:

  2. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "SHansen102" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I noticed that Lance is wearing a cross around his neck. Does anyone know
    the
    > significance of this for Lance?\

    Probably nothing, or it could be that he is wearing it as a gift. He has gone on record as saying
    he doe snot believe in God because of how poorly he was treated by church going (Calvinist)
    Christians. The lesson here IMO is that (Calvinist) Christian churches are not good places to learn
    how to treat people.

    Lance's story is that his father in law abused him. Also, his wife is Catholic.

    There were several huge discussions here and on other NGs about how Lance did not attribute his
    healing to anything miraculous or as any kind of sign that God is involved in his life. I
    suppose it is possible that he has changed his mind but decided not to talk about it. I don'
    blame him for that.

  3. "SHansen102" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I noticed that Lance is wearing a cross around his neck. Does anyone
    know the
    > significance of this for Lance?

    It keeps his wife happy.

  4. In article <BPFTa.7611$%[email protected]>, "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "SHansen102" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > > I noticed that Lance is wearing a cross around his neck. Does anyone know
    > the
    > > significance of this for Lance?\
    >
    > Probably nothing, or it could be that he is wearing it as a gift. He has gone on record as saying
    > he doe snot believe in God because of how poorly he was treated by church going (Calvinist)
    > Christians. The lesson here IMO is that (Calvinist) Christian churches are not good places to
    > learn how to treat people.
    >
    > Lance's story is that his father in law abused him. Also, his wife is Catholic.
    >
    > There were several huge discussions here and on other NGs about how Lance did not attribute his
    > healing to anything miraculous or as any kind of sign that God is involved in his life. I suppose
    > it is possible that he has changed his mind but decided not to talk about it. I don' blame him
    > for that.

    No, apparenlty the cross was a gift from someone who died of cancer. Lance is adamantly atheist. I
    noticed a lot of the cyclists wearing religious medallions, since most of them are catholic. I doubt
    they are all terribly religious, though, it's probably more for good luck. Athletes, like sailors,
    are a superstitious lot. I wonder which saint they have on those medals, probably St Christopher.

  5. Nick Burns wrote:

    > Lance's story is that his father in law abused him.

    ... err, I think you mean step-father.

    Mark McMaster [email protected]

  6. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    He talks about it in his book. I'm going from my old, feeble memory here. He and his oncology nurse
    wear them as a kind of symbol of their bond or some such thing. He's assigned his own
    meaning/significance to it that has nothing to do with Christ.

    I believe he's still his own god.

    Bob C.

    "SHansen102" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I noticed that Lance is wearing a cross around his neck. Does anyone know
    the
    > significance of this for Lance?

  7. Gary

    Gary Guest

    But he DID utter "Thank God" after the cyclo-cross episode.

    psycholist wrote:

    > He talks about it in his book. I'm going from my old, feeble memory here. He and his oncology
    > nurse wear them as a kind of symbol of their bond or some such thing. He's assigned his own
    > meaning/significance to it that has nothing to do with Christ.
    >
    > I believe he's still his own god.
    >
    > Bob C.
    >
    > "SHansen102" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > > I noticed that Lance is wearing a cross around his neck. Does anyone know
    > the
    > > significance of this for Lance?

  8. Ed-D

    Ed-D Guest

    "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <BPFTa.7611$%[email protected]>, "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "SHansen102" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >

    > > > I noticed that Lance is wearing a cross around his neck. Does anyone
    know
    > > the
    > > > significance of this for Lance?\
    > >
    > > Probably nothing, or it could be that he is wearing it as a gift. He has gone on record as
    > > saying he doe snot believe in God because of how poorly
    he
    > > was treated by church going (Calvinist) Christians. The lesson here IMO is that (Calvinist)
    > > Christian churches are not good places to learn how to treat people.
    > >
    > > Lance's story is that his father in law abused him. Also, his wife is Catholic.
    > >
    > > There were several huge discussions here and on other NGs about how Lance did not attribute his
    > > healing to anything miraculous or as any kind of
    sign
    > > that God is involved in his life. I suppose it is possible that he has changed his mind but
    > > decided not to talk about it. I don' blame him for that.
    >

    > No, apparenlty the cross was a gift from someone who died of cancer.

    I think this is the first year he is wearing it. Also I thought there might be a crucifix attached
    to it but I couldn't tell for sure.

    > Lance is adamantly atheist.

    are you sure about this? Agnostic I'll agree with, but atheist? He may not believe in any particular
    religion but doesn't an atheist claim to prove the inexistence of God? I didn't get the sense that
    Lance was an atheist from his book. Agnostic, yes. But not atheist. But I could be wrong.

    > I noticed a lot of the cyclists wearing religious medallions, since most of them are catholic. I
    > doubt they are all terribly religious, though, it's probably more for good luck. Athletes, like
    > sailors, are a superstitious lot. I wonder which saint they have on those medals, probably St
    > Christopher.

    why St. Christopher?

  9. Kevin Rook

    Kevin Rook Guest

    SHansen102 wrote:

    > I noticed that Lance is wearing a cross around his neck. Does anyone know the significance of this
    > for Lance?

    From "It's not about the bike"....

    "My mother came across two pretty silver crucifixes on chains, and bought them for
    me. I wore one, and I gave the other to Stacy. She was completely agnostic, just like me, but I
    said "Stacy, I want to give you this cross, and I am going to wear one, too. This is going to
    be our bond. You wear it when you're being treated, or wear it whenever you want. And I'll
    wear mine forever." We wore them not as religious symbols but universal ones, symbols or our
    cancer kinship"

  10. Andrew Short

    Andrew Short Guest

    In his book on pp. 163f, he writes of a friend named Stacy Pounds who was diagnosed with incurable
    lung cancer after his own recovery. In an effort to make her feel better, he gave her one of two
    silver chained crucifixes that his mother had bought. He writes that he wore one and gave the other
    to Stacy who was, as he wrote, "'completely agnostic, just like me'". "We wore them not as religious
    symbols but universal ones, symbols of our cancer kinship."

    Hope this helps. And BTW, if anyone on this list has yet to read "It's Not About the Bike", you owe
    yourself the pleasure of the read.

    Andrew Short Dallas, TX

    "SHansen102" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I noticed that Lance is wearing a cross around his neck. Does anyone know
    the
    > significance of this for Lance?

  11. Dave Clary

    Dave Clary Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 02:28:46 GMT, "Andrew Short" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In Hope this helps. And BTW, if anyone on this list has yet to read "It's Not About the Bike", you
    >owe yourself the pleasure of the read.

    I sent it to my sister while she was doing chemo for breast cancer. That copy has since been read by
    many other cancer patients. She didn't know jack about cycling before--still doesn't but she's a
    Lance fan!

    Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary Never Forget:
    http://www.politicsandprotest.org

  12. "SHansen102" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I noticed that Lance is wearing a cross around his neck. Does anyone know
    the
    > significance of this for Lance?

    I never saw it before the crash the other day. Seems like he usually keeps it tucked under
    the jersey.

    Well the coffee table picture book for this tour should be something else, eh?

  13. On 7/23/03 6:33 PM, in article BPFTa.7611$%[email protected], "Nick Burns"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Lance's story is that his father in law abused him. Also, his wife is Catholic.

    Adoptive father ... His father-in-law is Kik's dad.

  14. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    Lance is actually a dyslexic atheist. He doesn't believe in a dog.

    Kyle

    "Ed-D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > In article <BPFTa.7611$%[email protected]>, "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > "SHansen102" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > know
    > > > the
    > > >
    > > > Probably nothing, or it could be that he is wearing it as a gift. He
    has
    > > > gone on record as saying he doe snot believe in God because of how
    poorly
    > he
    > > > was treated by church going (Calvinist) Christians. The lesson here
    IMO is
    > > > that (Calvinist) Christian churches are not good places to learn how
    > > > treat people.
    > > >
    > > > Lance's story is that his father in law abused him. Also, his wife is Catholic.
    > > >
    > > > There were several huge discussions here and on other NGs about how
    Lance
    > > > did not attribute his healing to anything miraculous or as any kind of
    > sign
    > > > that God is involved in his life. I suppose it is possible that he has changed his mind but
    > > > decided not to talk about it. I don' blame him
    for
    > > > that.
    > >

    > > No, apparenlty the cross was a gift from someone who died of cancer.
    >
    > I think this is the first year he is wearing it. Also I thought there
    might be
    > a crucifix attached to it but I couldn't tell for sure.
    >
    > > Lance is adamantly atheist.
    >
    > are you sure about this? Agnostic I'll agree with, but atheist? He may not believe in any
    > particular religion but doesn't an atheist claim to prove
    the
    > inexistence of God? I didn't get the sense that Lance was an atheist from
    his
    > book. Agnostic, yes. But not atheist. But I could be wrong.
    >
    > > I noticed a lot of the cyclists wearing religious medallions, since most of them are catholic. I
    > > doubt they are all
    terribly
    > > religious, though, it's probably more for good luck. Athletes, like sailors, are a superstitious
    > > lot. I wonder which saint they have on
    those
    > > medals, probably St Christopher.
    >
    > why St. Christopher?

  15. Java Man

    Java Man Guest

    In article <BPFTa.7611$%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Lance's story is that his father in law abused him.

    Was that before or after he married the man's daughter?

    Rick

  16. Swj

    Swj Guest

    i believe it was a gift from a cancer patient whom he visited during their illness. i could be wrong
    but i believe the person died, so i 'think' he wears it in memorium. it does not necessarily signify
    a faith in a higher power, just like the way he pointed to the sky in 1995 and 2001 in memory of
    fabio casartelli, it was apparently more for fabio than anything else.

    shawn

  17. David

    David Guest

    because he is the patron saint of travellers.

    david

    "Ed-D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > In article <BPFTa.7611$%[email protected]>, "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > "SHansen102" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > know
    > > > the
    > > >
    > > > Probably nothing, or it could be that he is wearing it as a gift. He
    has
    > > > gone on record as saying he doe snot believe in God because of how
    poorly
    > he
    > > > was treated by church going (Calvinist) Christians. The lesson here
    IMO is
    > > > that (Calvinist) Christian churches are not good places to learn how
    > > > treat people.
    > > >
    > > > Lance's story is that his father in law abused him. Also, his wife is Catholic.
    > > >
    > > > There were several huge discussions here and on other NGs about how
    Lance
    > > > did not attribute his healing to anything miraculous or as any kind of
    > sign
    > > > that God is involved in his life. I suppose it is possible that he has changed his mind but
    > > > decided not to talk about it. I don' blame him
    for
    > > > that.
    > >

    > > No, apparenlty the cross was a gift from someone who died of cancer.
    >
    > I think this is the first year he is wearing it. Also I thought there
    might be
    > a crucifix attached to it but I couldn't tell for sure.
    >
    > > Lance is adamantly atheist.
    >
    > are you sure about this? Agnostic I'll agree with, but atheist? He may not believe in any
    > particular religion but doesn't an atheist claim to prove
    the
    > inexistence of God? I didn't get the sense that Lance was an atheist from
    his
    > book. Agnostic, yes. But not atheist. But I could be wrong.
    >
    > > I noticed a lot of the cyclists wearing religious medallions, since most of them are catholic. I
    > > doubt they are all
    terribly
    > > religious, though, it's probably more for good luck. Athletes, like sailors, are a superstitious
    > > lot. I wonder which saint they have on
    those
    > > medals, probably St Christopher.
    >
    > why St. Christopher?

  18. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

  19. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Dave Clary" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 02:28:46 GMT, "Andrew Short" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >In Hope this helps. And BTW, if anyone on this list has yet to read "It's
    Not
    > >About the Bike", you owe yourself the pleasure of the read.
    >
    > I sent it to my sister while she was doing chemo for breast cancer. That copy has since been read
    > by many other cancer patients. She didn't know jack about cycling before--still doesn't but she's
    > a Lance fan!
    >
    > Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary Never Forget:
    > http://www.politicsandprotest.org

    I have given them as gifts as well and I wish the bookstores would place them in the self help
    section. I know they are going to sell in the bike section but it really is not about the bike.