Lance Armstrong 7, Jack Todd ZERO

Apr 11, 2005
So Jack, how about that Lance Armstrong: Mr. Inconsistency, huh? A real flash in the pan. Do you think Lance Armstrong is the greatest athlete who ever lived? He could be close.

I don’t think you could even cover seven Tours de France as a journalist, Jack, you couldn’t take the pace, yet Armstrong has won seven of them IN A ROW. That by itself is a friggin' miracle, I mean there is not a Canadian cyclist who could even finish one Tour, never mind seven or winning one. AND he survived cancer.

Frankly, this is beyond comprehension.

Seven Tours after full blown cancer throughout his body. You had a bum hip, Jack and did a year of reporting from your living room. Armstrong has surgery, chemo, radiation and he’s on the bike day-in, day-out for more hours than you are at your desk.

Oh, but I forgot , Jack you have never been to a bike race yet, have you, you may not really be capable of appreciating this?

Check one out some time.

Do you think Lance Armstrong is more remarkable than Tiger Woods? You remember Tiger Woods, don’t you? The guy you wrote off in 1998!

Jack, how can a guy be so wrong so often, as you are, and still claim to know what he is talking about?

How much has Lance raised for cancer, $10 million…$20 million..more, I have lost count. HP even has a computer named after him from which they are donating part of the sales to his Foundation.

Jack, have you ever done ANYTHING for charity? You certainly don’t have that giving look. Frankly, Jack you have that ME, ME, ME look….

It is really too bad Armstrong has not sued you yet for libel, he could give that money to charity as well. You'd be giving back something for the first itme in your life, Jack.

PS Jack, give my best to your plagiarizing colleague at The Gazette, Janet Bagnall, for me will you.

Thx.

Yours in sport,

Ed A.

Posted on Media in Montreal and www.Cyclingforums.com

Looks like Lance Armstrong and Sheryl Crow have the computer market locked up tight.

Lance has a deal for his Foundation with HP. They are sellling a "Livestrong" laptop computer, signed by Lance on a holographic seal with Yellow swooshing. A portion of which sales go to his charity.

Not to be outdone by her lover Lance, Sheryl now has a good TV ad with Dell where she sings and views images of herself on a Dell Plasma screen.

Sheryl now has her own link on Dell, www.dell.com/sheryl

The world is their oyster.

I admit that I'm not the brightest log on the ol' yuletide fire, but even I know you can't sue for being called inconsistent or a flash in the pan. So what, may I ask, is this all about?

Does it have anything to do with the article you referenced on Pedal a while back in which he criticized the fairytale aspects of corporate driven sports? If so, I think his point was entirely valid -- and you don't have to be a top-level athlete to make the argument.

No, no, Jack Todd or as Neil Schwartzman on Media in Montreal calls him, Jerk Toad, has been saying for years Lance Armstrong is a dirty rider, that Armstrong uses performance enhancing drug despite never having any proof.

Todd on Monday wrote "Lance won another Tour and his career is over, we will never know the truth." or something very similar to that.

Todd has claim Armstrong is guilty simply by association to Prof. Whatshisname of Italy.

The "Flash-in-the-pan comment was what Todd called Tiger Woods after a slump in '98. I told Todd that was the stupidest call in sports history. I prove it to him every time Tiger wins another major.

Well, Mr. Toad isn't the only one who has made the suggestion, that's for sure.

L'Equipe (sp?) did the same thing just a couple days ago, as did the team manager from Cofidis, who, it seems, is "beginning to wonder" why Discovery and CSC are miles ahead of everyone else.

Given that the vast majority of skeptics seem to be those closely related to the sport (Phil and Paul notwithstanding), I can't help but wonder how long it will take for professional cycling to simply implode.

This happens in every sport, I'm afraid. Why do Chelsea, Arsenal, and Man. Utd. dominate the EPL? finances! I'm sure if Cofidis splashed out what Discovery Channel does, their results would be different, too.

Thus it will always be.

Jon Jonson said:
L'Equipe (sp?) did the same thing just a couple days ago, as did the team manager from Cofidis, who, it seems, is "beginning to wonder" why Discovery and CSC are miles ahead of everyone else.

Given that the vast majority of skeptics seem to be those closely related to the sport (Phil and Paul notwithstanding), I can't help but wonder how long it will take for professional cycling to simply implode.

No, of course Todd is not the only one doing it but the WAY he does it borders on liable. I think if he were to sue The Gazette he might have a good case. I have told him so and sent along the articles in question.

Furthermore, on Monday morning Todd has this "Heroes and Zeroes" thing he does. For every Tour for years now he has had Lance Armstorng in the Zero column for every day of the Tour every year. He had him in the Zero column yesterday.

I don't care how much or what Armstrong might have taken to win seven tours in a row is unbelievable. I can think of only two plausible explanations. One, Armstrong really died in cancer therapy and the guy riding is some sort of clone. Two, he was abducted by aliens back in 1998 and the guy who began riding in 1999 is from outer space.
Sports pundits are saying all records will be broken someday. I don't think my grandchildren, if I ever have any, will live long enough to see somebody else win seven in a row.