Lance Armstrong and Sheryl Crow

TourdeForce2424

Nov 25, 2003
Well, its official: they are a couple. They were seen strolling the red carpet at a Hollywood movie premiere. First of all, being an American, I think you should know that Lance used to be my favorite rider, so I am not against him. I liked him when I thought him to be a great rider and a great person. Reading his autobiography and other interviews, I found him to be someone a young guy like myself could look up to. However, hidden in the cracks of his autobiography, you could see many of his insecurities and weaknesses that are now starting to show in his recent actions. Lance thinks that everything he does is the right way to do things, and is a stubborn, arrogant individual. He is also by nature a person that does not want to train the way he does, and right after cancer, fell into a depression where he did nothing but eat and drink beer. Guess who was the person to help him out of this funk? The self proclaimed "love of his life," Kik. This woman went through personal anguish for this man to help him in his time of need ( how many of your wives would quit their jobs, sell their homes, get rid of their beloved dog, and move to a different country for you). Also, how many young, perfectly fertile woman would go through the personal suffering that invetrofertilization requires (not once, but twice!)? Better yet, I would like to see Sheryl Crow do this for him. For him to dump the beautiful mother of his children, a woman who obviously loved him very much, shows that he is not of the moral character that everyone thought him to be. So, Lance, eat and drink it up with Sheryl, because we all know you will not win the Tour de France this year with someone like that dragging you around town. Go Jan Ullrich! (someone who found the courage to change his life, and someone who knows a little humbleness)

Lance is not the moral character he was portrayed to be before the 2003 Tour. I too felt a bit let down after reading his second book "Every Second Counts". You could certainly see his focus on trainining and not his family. Lance spoke about not having a positive father figure while he was growing up and how this bothered him. Now he has choosen to spend less time with his own children. I'm sure Lance loves them very much and I'm sure he will be a better father to them than what he grew up with. I don't expect to now what Lance does with every second of his time, but I would find it hard to imagine him spending more time with his children now that he and Kik are divorced (apparently "every second" does count).
Despite his lack of family values you still must respect him for his pure cycling abilities. I do hope he wins number six this year. What a challenge it will be with the course, Team Telecom, and the loss of his number one climber, Roberto Heras. It will be a great Tour to watch.

In my experience, great success at work usually requires the sacrifice of your family. Very few have it both ways. The ones that do usually involve their families in the business. You can't replace the time you lost.

I'm not saying what you are saying is not true, but you have to remember that the side of the story you are getting is only one side, there may have been other issues between Lance and his "ex"-wife. Give the man a break, his is still only human like you and I.

As a testicular cancer survivor nine years out, I understand completely how cancer changes you and your relationships. Cancer will either make a marriage stronger, or break it apart. It broke my already weak marriage apart. For me, it was for the best, for I have been with the love of my life for over seven years now. No one but the two involved know what is going on inside the marriage.

I do not worship Lance or expect him to be flawless. He is just a guy born with the genes and the will to do what he has done in cycling. I have never seen him represent himself as a moral standard. I have never met him, nor know him so I reserve all judgements on his character. Anyhow, I have known many people of remarkable quailities who have survived cancer and failed marriages.

Quite true, in order to succeed on that level, you pretty much have to sacrifice just about everything else. He's a cyclist, not a 'moral leader'. And yes, his books tend to show a somewhat self absorbed level at times, but that goes with the territory. If Ullrich had won 5 TDF's in a row, he probably wouldn't be quite so humble. To rise to the absolute top in one of the most demanding sports is not an easy thing to do.

As for women - I suspect that the breakup was a mutual thing - he spent too much time with cycling and not enough with the family. That has broken families up, and not just in cycling. If he's hanging out with other superstars, it won't last - they also are self absorbed in their own success, so it really wouldn't be much of a relationship, would it?

I mean I'm glad Lance is winning, he got me back on a bike after, um, a few years absence. And I'm glad an American is showing the stuffy Eurosnobs a few new things. But don't expect him to be a god. As much reward as he gets from success, he also pays a terrible price.

Originally posted by JohnO
I mean I'm glad Lance is winning, he got me back on a bike after, um, a few years absence. And I'm glad an American is showing the stuffy Eurosnobs a few new things. But don't expect him to be a god. As much reward as he gets from success, he also pays a terrible price.

Spoken very well JohnO!

Some of the posts make me wonder where people got the idea that Lance was the moral standard for all cyclists. What he has done is amazing and I can't imagine how anyone can be a five-time winner of the tour, continue to train and still find the time to be a dedicated father and husband.

As some others have rightly pointed out, rarely does a marriage fail only on one side. I can see it from both sides. If he is going to win he has to train and dedicate himself fully to that goal. Meanwhile Kik was left trying to be a married, yet single mom. The stress of both situations doesn't leave enough time or energy to overcome the stress of a problematic marriage but it certainly can create one out of an otherwise solid marriage.

Lasty; Sheryl Crow? What happend to Sandra Bullock?

Originally posted by Beastt
Some of the posts make me wonder where people got the idea that Lance was the moral standard for all cyclists. What he has done is amazing and I can't imagine how anyone can be a five-time winner of the tour, continue to train and still find the time to be a dedicated father and husband.

As some others have rightly pointed out, rarely does a marriage fail only on one side. I can see it from both sides. If he is going to win he has to train and dedicate himself fully to that goal. Meanwhile Kik was left trying to be a married, yet single mom. The stress of both situations doesn't leave enough time or energy to overcome the stress of a problematic marriage but it certainly can create one out of an otherwise solid marriage.

Lasty; Sheryl Crow? What happend to Sandra Bullock?

Lance is a great cyclist but has anybody ever claimed he was a nice guy ? often the case it seems : are there any sports men / women left that are winners and good sports as well ?

I think I remember hearing that lance met Kik while he was dating someone else and left that person for her. You can't expect to start a relationship out right under those conditions.
As far as Lance is concerned I love the guy. I may not model my life after him but he has given me the incentive to keep going in the face of adversions. I hope he wins his 6th or at least quits at the top of his game. It broke my heart to see Greg Lamond in his last days of tour riding.

For what it's worth, I feel very sorry for his kids.
Whatever the reason for his marriage failing - his kids are the totally innocent victims in this breakdown.

Originally posted by bryanquinn
I think I remember hearing that lance met Kik while he was dating someone else and left that person for her. You can't expect to start a relationship out right under those conditions.
As far as Lance is concerned I love the guy. I may not model my life after him but he has given me the incentive to keep going in the face of adversions. I hope he wins his 6th or at least quits at the top of his game. It broke my heart to see Greg Lamond in his last days of tour riding.

According to "It's Not About the Bike", Lance was dating a girl named Lisa when he was diagnosed with cancer and she was with him throughout the treatments.

He met Kik a bit before his split with Lisa but his first real encounter with her was an arguement on the phone. It was anything but a case of love at first sight. He was still seeing Lisa but after the treatments ended, he found they seemed to have less and less to talk about. As the book relates the story; seeing other people was Lisa's idea but Lance was in agreement. They continued to see each other for a while but soon hardly saw each other at all. That's when he started to take a real interest in Kik.

Sometimes relationships last, sometimes they don't.

I'm not a great fan of lance but I do admire his achievement, he is respected like god to many cycling fans I know. But common dont you guys think its a bit too much to judge him on his private life, I mean come on what he does is completely his own choice give that guy a break, if hes not happy wit his wife and intend to change then so be it!

Remember hes only human like you and me, and relationship are complicated, people come and go in our life and they're always a certain timing. They appear in certain times of our life for certain reason and when their task are completed then they move on its strange ... thats why what we need to do are make the most of what we have now, enjoy life to the fullest we'll never know what creeps out from the corner...

Its sad, its unacceptable to some, but life is more than just ourselves ...

I don't know wath's in everybody's mind. But personally I won't try to figure out wath is in lance's mind and how well he trains , and how his relationships will affect his carreer. DO you know him that well, are you there when he sweats his ass off on the road...

THe only way you should consider his life is by his results in the TOUR. Wath else could you really be sure of...at least if you are not god...He whom sees everything and knows how people feel!

Originally posted by zewol
I don't know wath's in everybody's mind. But personally I won't try to figure out wath is in lance's mind and how well he trains , and how his relationships will affect his carreer. DO you know him that well, are you there when he sweats his ass off on the road...

THe only way you should consider his life is by his results in the TOUR. Wath else could you really be sure of...at least if you are not god...He whom sees everything and knows how people feel!

Might want to ask Lance about that God thing. I don't think he'd agree. That crucifix he wears isn't about God. I happen to agree with him. ;)

Originally posted by TourdeForce2424
personal suffering that invetrofertilization requires (not once, but twice!)?

actually she went thru it 3 times. the first try after they had luke failed. then she did it again and then thats when she had the twins.

but hey i'd do her

I do think it's unfortunately, darned near impossible to get to world class level anything without compromising values other than the value of WINNING. Frankly, I think that's too bad.