Lance Armstrong for Governor of Texas in 2006 -WOW- true or false?

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by mareblu, Jul 26, 2005.

1. mareblu

mareblu New Member

I have read this in a few articles.

Is this true? if so, Would you think he win? I am so sure Texans will adore having him as their governor. And then, our next US President? endless opportunities for him now......... :confused:

Tags:

2. thebluetrain

thebluetrain New Member

He would win by a landslide, Rick Perry wouldnt stand a chance. Celebrities always win. If Minnesota will elect a former Wrestler, Texans will elect a former Cyclist. It wont be based on qualifications at all.

3. JohnO

JohnO New Member

And California elected a former weightlifter and movie star, and before that, a movie star...

Lance would be well advised to do a tour as a political domestique before tackling the big leagues. As subtle and complex as the tactics of cycling can be, politics is even more subtle and complex.

You have to do more than just get elected, you have to be effective once you're in office. As Arnold is learning, and Jesse definitely learned, that is by no means guaranteed.

4. tinks

tinks New Member

Scarily enough, I can see it happening. American politics is a fickle thing where sound bites are sometimes more important than policy.

He may be a great athlete but a great politician? That remains to be seen but certainly his celebrity profile would be a huge advantage if he does have political aspirations.

5. JensCph

JensCph New Member

He was asked during the tour, and his reply was something like:

"I already hate *this* [refering to the horde of press around him]. So why would I go into politics."

Well. Stranger things have happened. Oh..and he would win by a landslide.

6. Frihed89

Frihed89 New Member

Bill Bradley, Jack Kemp, Steve Largent, Jim Ryan, (and how many others?) have all been elected to the US Congress.

But Lance Armstrong? I just don't think that would be his cup of tea.

7. bobke

bobke New Member

Lance will definitely run, but not in 2006. He has already said the governor's mansion looks great in a press interview. He was asked many times in post tour interviews and was coyly evasive. But he himself rules out 2006. Especially since a real folk hero is already running, Kinky Friedman.

http://www.kinkyfriedman.com/

No joke, Kinky is for real and Lance couldnt run in the midst of what will be political chaos. Kinky actually messes things up for Lance since Lance would do great against Perry and the usual drab politicos. If Kinky were to win, the public would probably need a return to a "real" candidate in the next election, but we'll see.

8. rule62

rule62 New Member

"I have read this in a few articles.

Is this true?"

When there's a rip in the fabric of time.

9. steve26

steve26 New Member

Well if he became president the U.S. would probably bomb France.:eek:

10. Dimos

Dimos New Member

I don't think so! Germany perhaps (too many spits are hard to forget) but the majority of French people respect him. Maybe only in case that someone in the future will reach 6 wins and he's in offfice too! :)

I like the idea because I think that as a person that realised the value of life on his skin he is more probable to rethink the shame that is the death penalty.

11. HellonWheels

HellonWheels New Member

IF its true, I'd have to know in detail what his political views are before I'd consider voting for him. As much as I am a FOL (fan of Lance) and always have been, and although I sell Livestrong bands and am a member of the LAF, politics is quite another matter. If he is a liberal, no way in hell would I vote for him..cancer survivor and seven TDF notwithstanding.

12. steve26

steve26 New Member

My guess is that Lance is a Republican.

He believes that hard work gets things done:)

Then again if he doped...he would be a liberal since he looked for the easy way:) :D

I will go hide now.

13. babylou

babylou New Member

With your head already up your ass I don't think you need to hide. Here's to hard working Republicans like dubya:rolleyes:

14. Dead Star

Dead Star New Member

and does this have ANYTHING at all to do with the grand tours??????? IHR SEID ALLE ARSCHLECKER :p

15. thebluetrain

thebluetrain New Member

ARSCHLECKER :p

Does this translate into @sslicker?

16. wolfix

wolfix New Member

Oh great ..... I can see the da-bate now ..

LA will choose Hank Hill as his running mate ..... { I know govenors do not choose running mates ]

Lance ..... I will run this great state of Texas just as Ann Richards did in the 90's !!!!!

Other Canidate .......... Lance, I knew Ann Richards and you ain't no Ann Richards !!!!

Lance...... I knew her too !!! I knew her too !!!!! And hahaha..... And I knew Eddy Merckx and you didn't !!

Other Canidate .... Eddy who ?????

Lance turning to the Discovery riders and Johann ...... "Crush him boys."

17. Dead Star

Dead Star New Member

*applauds* one day you too can be fluent in german(!) :p

18. mareblu

mareblu New Member

Ha ha ha ha :D

19. tinks

tinks New Member

I think you might be sadly disappointed. What with John Kerry riding with him a the Crowmeister wearing messages of 'no war' spelt out in rhinestones; I think our Lance is a little bit left of the center. :)

20. babylou

babylou New Member

I don't care if he is a Republican or Democrat or independent. On thing it seems is he is a hard worker, has his eye on the big picture though still detail oriented, analytical and knows how to get the job done. These are not bad qualities for leaders.