Lance Armstrong is riding Le Tour this year.

jazmo

New Member
Jan 19, 2004
Cool!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2005/feb05/feb16newsflash

cfsmtb said:

This actually gives me more incentive to make a trip to Europe this year and see some stages of the tour.

If Lance wins - great. If Lance loses to someone else - great. It's all good.

It wouldn't be as interesting without Lance there IMHO.

It would probably be more interesting if he isnt there with some new up and comings being more competitive so would bring more excitement.

jazmo said:
This actually gives me more incentive to make a trip to Europe this year and see some stages of the tour.

If Lance wins - great. If Lance loses to someone else - great. It's all good.

It wouldn't be as interesting without Lance there IMHO.

My ideal scenario:

Lance being there (I'm not his biggest fan - but gee I respect his
awesome ability...), and being pushed hard through the whole race by
some of the others (wet dream would be Cadel Evans..... but let's be
realistic....)

That way, we get to see Lance having to go hard through ALL the
mountain stages (instead of just blowing the field apart in 1 or 2, and
going with the field for the other 20 stages)... Might give us more
insight into the neverending Armstrong vs Merckxx debate as well!!

If Lance won both yellow & polka dot, I think he would have a strong
claim to all-time greatest status.....

Cheers,
Absent Husband (who does NOT want to start a Lance vs Eddie debate, but
had to throw his 2 cents in....)

Absent Husband wrote:
> My ideal scenario:

<snip>

> Cheers,
> Absent Husband (who does NOT want to start a Lance vs Eddie debate, but
> had to throw his 2 cents in....)

<troll>
Well it's not really a debate is it AH?

It's obvious Merckx was better ;)
</troll>

--
Nick

jazmo wrote:
> This actually gives me more incentive to make a trip to Europe this
> year and see some stages of the tour.

You gonna go? I just booked tix for London flight in April.
Assuming I have money left in July (it is July right?) I'll probably
head over there! Oooh.. exciting stuff!!! :)

Would you go as an organised tour or solo?

Any particular stages?

hippy

Gistane said:
It would probably be more interesting if he isnt there with some new up and comings being more competitive so would bring more excitement.

I agree, the Tour cept for 2003 has been rather boring. Needs to move on from the Lance domination and be exciting. No one ever even attacks him. The two guys (Vino and Mayo) that did in 2003 were basically injured for the 2004 race. I just hope the competition turns up prepared to race this year.

The Giro looks to be the real interesting GT of this year, with Basso and Cunego going at it.

Absent Husband said:
My ideal scenario:

Lance being there (I'm not his biggest fan - but gee I respect his
awesome ability...), and being pushed hard through the whole race by
some of the others (wet dream would be Cadel Evans..... but let's be
realistic....)

That way, we get to see Lance having to go hard through ALL the
mountain stages (instead of just blowing the field apart in 1 or 2, and
going with the field for the other 20 stages)... Might give us more
insight into the neverending Armstrong vs Merckxx debate as well!!

If Lance won both yellow & polka dot, I think he would have a strong
claim to all-time greatest status.....

Cheers,
Absent Husband (who does NOT want to start a Lance vs Eddie debate, but
had to throw his 2 cents in....)

I think there is only 3 real mountain stages this year. With that in mind its possible Evans (and any other pretenders please turn up in peak condition) could at least stick with the front groups, though there is nothing much in the way of helpers for him. Mario Aerts or even Merkx maybe. I dont see much changing though, Discovery´s team will be even stronger this year with Savoldelli and Popyvich added.

I dont think winning the polka dot means that much, I think (havent look up the stats) but Armstrong could of won the jersey before if Virenque did not do his insane all day breakaways. (not meaning to turn this into a debate)

oely said:
I dont think winning the polka dot means that much, I think (havent look up the stats) but Armstrong could of won the jersey before if Virenque did not do his insane all day breakaways. (not meaning to turn this into a debate)

So they weren't insane then.

hippy wrote:
> jazmo wrote:
>
>> This actually gives me more incentive to make a trip to Europe this
>> year and see some stages of the tour.

> You gonna go? I just booked tix for London flight in April.
> Assuming I have money left in July (it is July right?) I'll probably
> head over there! Oooh.. exciting stuff!!! :)
>
> Would you go as an organised tour or solo?
>
> Any particular stages?
>
> hippy

I've lent a bike for a few weeks to a swedish girl (holidaying in
Bunbury)who normally works as a journalist covering the big rides. She
said if I'm ever in France she can arrange a day pass to the Tour. Maybe
I should go? What's a day pass anyway?

aeek said:
So they weren't insane then.

Well all day breakaways on flat or mountain stages at the tour would be insane any day of the week. Whether you win a jersey or not.

hippy said:
jazmo wrote:
> This actually gives me more incentive to make a trip to Europe this
> year and see some stages of the tour.

You gonna go? I just booked tix for London flight in April.
Assuming I have money left in July (it is July right?) I'll probably
head over there! Oooh.. exciting stuff!!! :)

Would you go as an organised tour or solo?

Any particular stages?

hippy

I'm thinking organised tour with some riding. Don't know whether to do the Alps or Pyrenees though I think Alps would be better as that's when we'll know if Lance is still the dominant figure in the race. Could be exciting. On the other hand, if it's a cliff hanger - the Pyrenees would be better. Oh well, it's all good.

hippy said:
jazmo wrote:
> This actually gives me more incentive to make a trip to Europe this
> year and see some stages of the tour.

You gonna go? I just booked tix for London flight in April.
Assuming I have money left in July (it is July right?) I'll probably
head over there! Oooh.. exciting stuff!!! :)

They've heard you're coming:

London prepares for Hippy's arrival

Woo hoo! Only 1 mile (that's 1.6k for the Aussies) from my flat.
Available now, rent negotiable... :D

Cheers,
Craigster.

jazmo wrote:
> hippy Wrote:
>
>>jazmo wrote:
>>
>>>This actually gives me more incentive to make a trip to Europe this
>>>year and see some stages of the tour.

>>You gonna go? I just booked tix for London flight in April.
>>Assuming I have money left in July (it is July right?) I'll probably
>>head over there! Oooh.. exciting stuff!!! :)
>>
>>Would you go as an organised tour or solo?
>>
>>Any particular stages?
>>
>>hippy

> I'm thinking organised tour with some riding. Don't know whether to do
> the Alps or Pyrenees though I think Alps would be better as that's when
> we'll know if Lance is still the dominant figure in the race. Could be
> exciting. On the other hand, if it's a cliff hanger - the Pyrenees
> would be better. Oh well, it's all good.

Check out

http://www.bikeadventures.co.uk/
I did his Channel to Med but know someone who did his Raid Pyreneen. He
is an ex pro and was mightily impressed.

--
Remove norubbish to reply direct

Jack Russell

craigster_jd wrote:
> They've heard you're coming:
> 'London prepares for Hippy's arrival' (http://tinyurl.com/3hpsk)
> Woo hoo! Only 1 mile (that's 1.6k for the Aussies) from my flat.
> Available now, rent negotiable... :D

I saw this article and laughed, thinking the same thing! :)
I hope it's built well before 2012..

Oh.. how about we start negs at $10AUD/mth? :p

hippy