Lance Armstrong separating after four years of marriage

Marriage lasts 4 years.

He's one 4 tours.

An omen...?

If I were the book, I'd cut the line on Armstrong's repeat chances by at least half.

"Wantagofast" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can't find this anywhere but the Dallas Morning News?

Since when do serious "relationships" IMPROVE riding?

In most cases, it's the kiss of death .... :)

Daniel Connelly <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Since when do serious "relationships" IMPROVE riding?
>
> In most cases, it's the kiss of death .... :)

I disagree. It's true that the local hotshot often gets worse when he discovers girls or gets a
girlfriend, but at the elite level, most of the top performers seem to be married.

How many TdF winners have been bachelors? In recent times, only Pantani and Ullrich have been
unmarried, and we know how stable their careers and lives have been since. LANCE, Riis, Indurain,
Lemond, Hinault - all were married at the time of their TdF wins.

I would bet that, at the elite levels of racing, an established marriage is a modest predictor of
success. Note I am not concluding that the relationship is causal, only predictive.

-RJ

"Ronaldo Jeremiah" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> How many TdF winners have been bachelors? In recent times, only Pantani and Ullrich have been
> unmarried, and we know how stable their careers and lives have been since. LANCE, Riis, Indurain,
> Lemond, Hinault - all were married at the time of their TdF wins.

IIRC, Indurain got married part way through his TdF win streak.

Carl Sundquist <[email protected]> wrote:

> IIRC, Indurain got married part way through his TdF win streak.

What about Eddy? He was married and had kids, no?

Art Harris

i have one word that may explain it all.

"twins"

she is overworked and doing it on her own. she is exhausted.....its hard enough with kids when you
are there everyday with your wife, let alone when she is doing it all on her own.....

> "Ronaldo Jeremiah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > How many TdF winners have been bachelors? In recent times, only Pantani and Ullrich have been
> > unmarried, and we know how stable their careers and lives have been since. LANCE, Riis,
> > Indurain, Lemond, Hinault - all were married at the time of their TdF wins.
>
> IIRC, Indurain got married part way through his TdF win streak.

Then they had their 1st child and he was done. I don't think that it's the marriage. It's when you
start a family - that's when it gets tough and that is when you need to have a VERY supportive and
understanding spouse. Until you have the kids, there is time for each other and yourself. When the
kids come, it's a whole different story.

Well, that's my .02.

Back to lurking.
--
Marty

"JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> i have one word that may explain it all.
>
> "twins"
>
> she is overworked and doing it on her own. she is exhausted.....its hard enough with kids when you
> are there everyday with your wife, let alone when she is doing it all on her own.....

i'm sure she has a nanny or two to help when lance isn't around. maybe if she wasn't out spending
all of his money she wouldn't be so tired.

"JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> i have one word that may explain it all.
>
> "twins"
>
> she is overworked and doing it on her own. she is exhausted.....its hard enough with kids when you
> are there everyday with your wife, let alone when she is doing it all on her own.....

Add to this the fact that she was a semi-bigshot business woman before. American women seem to be
having more and more problems with the idea that a woman that is a mother should take care of her
own children instead of hiring them out.

Hopefully this whole separation has to do with this sort of thing and not with Lance screwing
around. If so perhaps they'll be able to work out their differences.

That's got to be tough, especially with one other tyke in the mix and the schedule they keep. But
with millions in annual endorsements one obvious solution to that is also one word... "nanny" or
maybe buying a daycare center in each city where they live. ;) If children are really an issue then
the real problem is something else like unwillingness to spend money on help or a clash in how to
raise them.

Bo

"JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> i have one word that may explain it all.
>
> "twins"
>
> she is overworked and doing it on her own. she is exhausted.....its hard enough with kids when you
> are there everyday with your wife, let alone when she is doing it all on her own.....

"JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> i have one word that may explain it all.
>
> "twins"
>
> she is overworked and doing it on her own. she is exhausted.....its hard enough with kids when you
> are there everyday with your wife, let alone
when
> she is doing it all on her own.....

If that's the case, Kristin should take tips from Dan Marino's wife. She was exhausted after 4 kids,
one autistic. She was quite relieved when they adopted their 5th, rather than having to carry
through pregnancy. And Lance is making more than Marino did and can afford the babysitters.

"Marty Pietruszka" <mpietrus@charter_nospam.net> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > IIRC, Indurain got married part way through his TdF win streak.
>
> Then they had their 1st child and he was done. I don't think that it's the marriage. It's when you
> start a family - that's when it gets tough and that is when you need to have a VERY supportive and
> understanding spouse. Until you have the kids, there is time for each other and yourself. When the
> kids come, it's a whole different story.

Indurain finished 11th in the 1996 Tour de France, he was 32 years old (born in 1964). He had one
child at the time who was either 1 or 2 years old. Miguel had won 5 TDF in a row. Miguel had a
softspoken demeanor, and had publically stated that he did not consider himself as "great" as
Merckx, Anquetil, Hinault, and others. In fact, he probably placed himself below them (his ego
certainly seemed smaller than that of the aforementioned riders). I've always thought that he pretty
much decided not to win six. Was he "DONE", or was he just ready to move on?

And, as a father of two kids (ages six and three), I take issue with the "supportive spouse" point.
Ok, yes, my spouse needs to be supportive (of my cycling, rock climbing, mountaineering, etc.). But
I also need to be supportive of MY spouse. And, of MY kids. Anyone out there read, "It's not about
the bike"? Anyone read Lance's comments about how crappy his dad was, and how he wants to be a
better dad to his kids? Maybe it's "Life" Time. How good a "dad" can you be if you're on the road
(away from your kids) 100+ days a year. Add to that, a dad (spouse) who weighs every gram of food
that goes into his body and measures every watt and microsecond of training (talk about obsessive
compulsive). Yes, Lance probably needs to do this kind of stuff to win the way he does. But, it
can't be easy to live with. Compound this with having twins, being in the media spotlight, and not
living anything resembling a "normal" life, and I can understand the issues. I wager that IF Lance
and Kristen stay together, TDF#5 will be followed by Lance's retirement. Lance has got to realize
that "it's not about the bike".

"Arno Granados" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Marty Pietruszka" <mpietrus@charter_nospam.net> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > > IIRC, Indurain got married part way through his TdF win streak.
> >
> > Then they had their 1st child and he was done. I don't think that it's
the
> > marriage. It's when you start a family - that's when it gets tough and
that
> > is when you need to have a VERY supportive and understanding spouse.
Until
> > you have the kids, there is time for each other and yourself. When the
kids
> > come, it's a whole different story.
>
> Indurain finished 11th in the 1996 Tour de France, he was 32 years old (born in 1964). He had one
> child at the time who was either 1 or 2 years old. Miguel had won 5 TDF in a row. Miguel had a
> softspoken demeanor, and had publically stated that he did not consider himself as "great" as
> Merckx, Anquetil, Hinault, and others. In fact, he probably placed himself below them (his ego
> certainly seemed smaller than that of the aforementioned riders). I've always thought that he
> pretty much decided not to win six. Was he "DONE", or was he just ready to move on?

Please forgive me, I'm a terrible communicator.

I agree 100% with what you have written and that is what I meant by DONE - that is, he was ready to
be there for his wife and child. He had nothing more to prove to anyone and picked the role of
father and husband over TdF
#6 in a row winner. I wrote this very same thing on this news group back
when he did not win #6. Look it up.

> And, as a father of two kids (ages six and three), I take issue with the "supportive spouse"
> point. Ok, yes, my spouse needs to be supportive (of my cycling, rock climbing, mountaineering,
> etc.). But I also need to be supportive of MY spouse. And, of MY kids. Anyone out there read,
> "It's not about the bike"? Anyone read Lance's comments about how crappy his dad was, and how he
> wants to be a better dad to his kids? Maybe it's "Life" Time. How good a "dad" can you be if
> you're on the road (away from your kids) 100+ days a year. Add to that, a dad (spouse) who weighs
> every gram of food that goes into his body and measures every watt and microsecond of training
> (talk about obsessive compulsive). Yes, Lance probably needs to do this kind of stuff to win the
> way he does. But, it can't be easy to live with. Compound this with having twins, being in the
> media spotlight, and not living anything resembling a "normal" life, and I can understand the
> issues. I wager that IF Lance and Kristen stay together, TDF#5 will be followed by Lance's
> retirement. Lance has got to realize that "it's not about the bike".

Again, I agree 100%. It's a two way street. By supportive, I meant that you'd need a spouse who is
okay with the fact that you are not going to be there very much and you'd have to be okay with the
fact that you're not always going to be there when she and your children need you there. It's a
sacrifice. You are sacrificing family time for career time. I see this all the time and it's not
just in cycling. As a father of two children (ages 9 and 7) and a husband of a 4th grade school
teacher, I really do understand.
--
Marty

On 25 Feb 2003 07:20:17 -0800, [email protected] (Arno Granados) wrote:

>"Marty Pietruszka" <mpietrus@charter_nospam.net> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> > IIRC, Indurain got married part way through his TdF win streak.

>stuff to win the way he does. But, it can't be easy to live with. Compound this with having twins,
>being in the media spotlight, and not living anything resembling a "normal" life, and I can
>understand the issues. I wager that IF Lance and Kristen stay together, TDF#5 will be followed by
>Lance's retirement. Lance has got to realize that "it's not about the bike".

But it is about the bike and his wife knew that before they were married.

Lance isn't any different than anyone else that is trying to be the best at their choosen
career field.

Everyone that wants to suceed will work hard, those that don't fail.

If a wife doesn't understand that maybe it is time for her to move on!

Sparhawk