lance armstrong shows what a class guy he is

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Dwjones, Jul 29, 2003.

  1. Dwjones

    Dwjones Guest

    by giving the $465,000 for winning the tour de france to his teammates and staff. now just how many
    athletes would do as lance did whether or not they NEEDED the money? i dare say hardly any if anyone
    at all. major kudos to lance for rewarding your team.

    Tags:

  2. Dene Wilby

    Dene Wilby Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, dwjones45 @comcast.net says...
    > by giving the $465,000 for winning the tour de france to his teammates and staff. now just how
    > many athletes would do as lance did whether or not they NEEDED the money? i dare say hardly any if
    > anyone at all. major kudos to lance for rewarding your team.

    I'm a huge fan of LA too but don't ALL the teams distribute the prize money that way?

    Dene

  3. Roger Bogda

    Roger Bogda Guest

    Not to diminish your admiration for Lance but that is standard procedure among teams. The winner
    usually is paid a very high salary anyway plus there is quite often a bonus for winning built into
    his contract.

    Roger B

    "dwjones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > by giving the $465,000 for winning the tour de france to his teammates and staff. now just how
    > many athletes would do as lance did whether or not
    they
    > NEEDED the money? i dare say hardly any if anyone at all. major kudos to lance for rewarding
    > your team.

  4. Moahahaha, LOL, you Americans are great

    "dwjones" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet
    news:[email protected]...
    > by giving the $465,000 for winning the tour de france to his teammates and staff. now just how
    > many athletes would do as lance did whether or not
    they
    > NEEDED the money? i dare say hardly any if anyone at all. major kudos to lance for rewarding
    > your team.

  5. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

    what are you talking about. kobe bryant is about to give some chick 10 million for one nut and he
    already gave his wife about 10 million for letting him get that one nut high in the mountains of
    Colorado. now that's high class......

    "dwjones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > by giving the $465,000 for winning the tour de france to his teammates and staff. now just how
    > many athletes would do as lance did whether or not
    they
    > NEEDED the money? i dare say hardly any if anyone at all. major kudos to lance for rewarding
    > your team.

  6. Dwjones

    Dwjones Guest

    news:[email protected]...

  7. "dwjones" <[email protected]> wrote in news:dRvVa.8095$It4.4674 @rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net:

    > i was not aware of that "Roger Bogda" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Not to diminish your admiration for Lance but that is standard procedure among teams. The winner
    >> usually is paid a very high salary anyway plus
    > there
    >> is quite often a bonus for winning built into his contract.
    >>
    >> Roger B
    >>
    >> "dwjones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> > by giving the $465,000 for winning the tour de france to his teammates
    > and
    >> > staff. now just how many athletes would do as lance did whether or not
    >> they
    >> > NEEDED the money? i dare say hardly any if anyone at all. major kudos to lance for rewarding
    >> > your team.

    Maybe if you followed cycling more than 3 weeks out of the year you would be.

    - Boyd S.

  8. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "dwjones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > by giving the $465,000 for winning the tour de france to his teammates and staff. now just how
    > many athletes would do as lance did whether or not
    they
    > NEEDED the money? i dare say hardly any if anyone at all. major kudos to lance for rewarding
    > your team.

    Clueless newbies...

    Andy Coggan

  9. Roger Bogda

    Roger Bogda Guest

    Andy, read my reply to Boyd.

    Roger B

    > "dwjones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > by giving the $465,000 for winning the tour de france to his teammates
    and
    > > staff. now just how many athletes would do as lance did whether or not
    > they
    > > NEEDED the money? i dare say hardly any if anyone at all. major kudos to lance for rewarding
    > > your team.
    >
    > Clueless newbies...
    >
    > Andy Coggan

  10. Roger Bogda

    Roger Bogda Guest

    Back off, Boyd, at least the guy wants to know. Comments like that do not encourage people who are
    just beginning to get an interest in cycling.

    Roger B

    "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "dwjones" <[email protected]> wrote in news:dRvVa.8095$It4.4674 @rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net:
    >
    > > i was not aware of that "Roger Bogda" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> Not to diminish your admiration for Lance but that is standard
    procedure
    > >> among teams. The winner usually is paid a very high salary anyway plus
    > > there
    > >> is quite often a bonus for winning built into his contract.
    > >>
    > >> Roger B
    > >>
    > >> "dwjones" <d[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]...
    > > and
    > >> they
    >
    > Maybe if you followed cycling more than 3 weeks out of the year you would
    be.

    > - Boyd S.

  11. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Boyd Speerschneider
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "dwjones" <[email protected]> wrote in news:dRvVa.8095$It4.4674 @rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net:
    >
    > > i was not aware of that "Roger Bogda" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> Not to diminish your admiration for Lance but that is standard procedure among teams. The
    > >> winner usually is paid a very high salary anyway plus
    > > there
    > >> is quite often a bonus for winning built into his contract.
    > >>
    > >> Roger B
    > >>
    > >> "dwjones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]...
    > > and
    > >> they
    >
    > Maybe if you followed cycling more than 3 weeks out of the year you would be.

    Is that a requirement for enjoying the Tour?

    DWJONES... The winner always gives his money to his teammates as a thank you for helping him win.
    The winner gets lots of other money and priizes as as result of his win.

    -WG

  12. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 15:31:48 GMT, warren <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, Boyd Speerschneider
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> "dwjones" <[email protected]> wrote in news:dRvVa.8095$It4.4674 @rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net:
    >>
    >> > i was not aware of that "Roger Bogda" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> > news:[email protected]...
    >> procedure
    >> plus
    >> > there

    >> teammates
    >> > and
    >> not
    >> kudos to
    >>
    >> Maybe if you followed cycling more than 3 weeks out of the year you would be.
    >
    > Is that a requirement for enjoying the Tour?
    >

    > DWJONES... The winner always gives his money to his teammates as a thank you for helping him win.
    > The winner gets lots of other money and priizes as as result of his win.
    >
    > -WG

    Not to mentions sponsorships and commercials. How many commercials has Roberto Heras made?

    --
    Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

  13. Dwjones

    Dwjones Guest

    why am i getting ripped here? i did not say anything negative and i never claim to be an cycling
    expert though i do cycle about 45 miles a week on my kestral sci 200 and have been doing so for the
    last 5 years to offset my marathon training. "Roger Bogda" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Back off, Boyd, at least the guy wants to know. Comments like that do not encourage people who are
    > just beginning to get an interest in cycling.
    >
    > Roger B
    >
    > "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "dwjones" <[email protected]> wrote in news:dRvVa.8095$It4.4674 @rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net:
    > >
    > > > i was not aware of that "Roger Bogda" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > procedure
    > > > there

    > teammates
    > > > and
    > not
    > >
    > > Maybe if you followed cycling more than 3 weeks out of the year you
    would
    > be.
    > >
    > > - Boyd S.

  14. Dwjones

    Dwjones Guest

    news:290720030831121111%[email protected]...

  15. "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:290720030831121111%[email protected]...

    > DWJONES... The winner always gives his money to his teammates as a thank you for helping him win.
    > The winner gets lots of other money and priizes as as result of his win.

    THIS IS INCORRECT.

    Standard Operating Procedure is: the winner always splits his money with his teamates.

    What happens at USPS at the TdF is different. Armstrong forgoes his split. Not only that, he doubles
    the pot with his own money.

    That is not SOP.

  16. Roger Bogda

    Roger Bogda Guest

    Why did I rip you? Perahps you can tell me what was positive and encouraging about your comment?
    What's the point?

    > Maybe if you followed cycling more than 3 weeks out of the year you would be.

    Roger B

    "dwjones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > why am i getting ripped here? i did not say anything negative and i never claim to be an cycling
    > expert though i do cycle about 45 miles a week on
    my
    > kestral sci 200 and have been doing so for the last 5 years to offset my marathon training. "Roger
    > Bogda" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Back off, Boyd, at least the guy wants to know. Comments like that do
    not
    > > encourage people who are just beginning to get an interest in cycling.
    > >
    > > Roger B
    > >
    > > "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > "dwjones" <[email protected]> wrote in news:dRvVa.8095$It4.4674
    > > > @rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net:

    > > procedure
    > plus

    > > teammates
    > > not
    > kudos
    > > >
    > > > Maybe if you followed cycling more than 3 weeks out of the year you
    > would
    > > be.
    > > >
    > > > - Boyd S.

  17. "dwjones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > why am i getting ripped here? i did not say anything negative and i never claim to be an cycling
    > expert though i do cycle about 45 miles a week on
    my
    > kestral sci 200 and have been doing so for the last 5 years to offset my marathon training.

    Goddamm.

    There wasn't a completely compelling reason to rip you before, but now there
    is.

    Runners do not understand cycling, even if they do put an incredible 45 miles a week on the bike.

    Don't be a dumbass. Lurk awhile before posting.

    "Better to be silent and let them think you're an idiot than open your mouth and confirm it"
    - no one knows who originated that quote but many wish they did

  18. H Squared

    H Squared Guest

    Roger Bogda wrote:

    > Why did I rip you?

    if people could bother to trim posts and attribute correctly, these kinds of misunderstandings would
    happen less.

  19. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Roger Bogda wrote:
    > Back off, Boyd, at least the guy wants to know. Comments like that do not encourage people who are
    > just beginning to get an interest in cycling.
    >
    > Roger B

    But the "old boys network" attitude among hard core cycling fans seems to be part of competitive
    cycling. Weeds out the weak, you know.

    "You've got REALLY hate the Romans." "I do." "Alright then, you're in."

  20. Dwjones

    Dwjones Guest

    > Goddamm.
    >
    > There wasn't a completely compelling reason to rip you before, but now
    there
    > is.
    >
    > Runners do not understand cycling, even if they do put an incredible 45 miles a week on the bike.
    >
    > Don't be a dumbass. Lurk awhile before posting.
    >

    > "Better to be silent and let them think you're an idiot than open your
    mouth
    > and confirm it"
    > - no one knows who originated that quote but many wish they did
    >
    > granted cycling is not my prime sport. i have only been cycling for the
    past 5 years where as i have been running competitively(in high school, college and post college)
    for the past 37 years. but from what i have learned over the 5 years of cycling we are not talking
    about brain surgery when it comes to having a decent understanding the sport. now tell me why do u
    feel that runners do not understand cycling? it seems to me that u have something against runners
    who also cycle. maybe your problem is that u do not understand running nor those who run distance.