lance armstrong shows what a class guy he is

Kurgan you're a ***. "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...

> "dwjones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > why am i getting ripped here? i did not say anything negative and i
never
> > claim to be an cycling expert though i do cycle about 45 miles a week on
> my
> > kestral sci 200 and have been doing so for the last 5 years to offset my marathon training.
>

> Goddamm.
>
> There wasn't a completely compelling reason to rip you before, but now
there
> is.
>
> Runners do not understand cycling, even if they do put an incredible 45 miles a week on the bike.
>
> Don't be a dumbass. Lurk awhile before posting.
>

> "Better to be silent and let them think you're an idiot than open your
mouth
> and confirm it"
> - no one knows who originated that quote but many wish they did

"dwjones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Goddamm.
> >
> > There wasn't a completely compelling reason to rip you before, but now
> there
> > is.
> >
> > Runners do not understand cycling, even if they do put an incredible 45 miles a week on
> > the bike.
> >
> > Don't be a dumbass. Lurk awhile before posting.
> >

> > "Better to be silent and let them think you're an idiot than open your
> mouth
> > and confirm it"
> > - no one knows who originated that quote but many wish they did
> >
> > granted cycling is not my prime sport. i have only been cycling for the
> past 5 years where as i have been running competitively(in high school, college and post college)
> for the past 37 years. but from what i have learned over the 5 years of cycling we are not talking
> about brain surgery when it comes to having a decent understanding the sport. now tell me why
do
> u feel that runners do not understand cycling? it seems to me that u have something against
> runners who also cycle. maybe your problem is that u do not understand running nor those who run
> distance.

Dumbass -

I ran track for 12 years before becoming a cyclist.

That is how I know runners are clueless. They're right up there with triathletes.

> I ran track for 12 years before becoming a cyclist.
>
> That is how I know runners are clueless. They're right up there with triathletes.
>
>running track as u did and running marathons and ultamarathons as i do are
like night and day.

Sir Dumbass...

Does ever one of your post begin with those words?

news:p[email protected]...

> "dwjones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > > Goddamm.
> > >
> > > There wasn't a completely compelling reason to rip you before, but now
> > there
> > > is.
> > >
> > > Runners do not understand cycling, even if they do put an incredible
45
> > > miles a week on the bike.
> > >
> > > Don't be a dumbass. Lurk awhile before posting.
> > >

> > > "Better to be silent and let them think you're an idiot than open your
> > mouth
> > > and confirm it"
> > > - no one knows who originated that quote but many wish they did
> > >
> > > granted cycling is not my prime sport. i have only been cycling for
the
> > past 5 years where as i have been running competitively(in high school, college and post
> > college) for the past 37 years. but from what i have learned over the 5 years of cycling we are
> > not talking about brain
surgery
> > when it comes to having a decent understanding the sport. now tell me
why
> do
> > u feel that runners do not understand cycling? it seems to me that u
have
> > something against runners who also cycle. maybe your problem is that u
do
> > not understand running nor those who run distance.
>

> Dumbass -
>
> I ran track for 12 years before becoming a cyclist.
>
> That is how I know runners are clueless. They're right up there with triathletes.

I've read in places that the split is generally one half to the guy who actually won and the other
half split among the teammates. Elsewhere I've read "prizes are shared with the team"--which could
be a way of saying the above, or could mean the winner and each teammate share equally.

Either way Armstrong is being generous. Which he can afford, since he makes about 8 times what Heras
does in team salary (much more with endorsements).--Shayana Kadidal

> Not to diminish your admiration for Lance but that is standard procedure among teams. The winner
> usually is paid a very high salary anyway plus there is quite often a bonus for winning built into
> his contract.

"Roger Bogda" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Not to diminish your admiration for Lance but that is standard procedure among teams. The winner
> usually is paid a very high salary anyway plus there is quite often a bonus for winning built into
> his contract.

It is the custom to share winnings with the team, but it is not always followed. When Andy Hampsten
won the Giro (was it in `89?) he kept the winnings. Bob Roll complained bitterly of this in some of
his "rantings", er I mean "writing." He nicknamed him "Hamstring".

"Max Watt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Roger Bogda" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Not to diminish your admiration for Lance but that is standard procedure among teams. The winner
> > usually is paid a very high salary anyway plus
there
> > is quite often a bonus for winning built into his contract.
> >

> It is the custom to share winnings with the team, but it is not always followed. When Andy
> Hampsten won the Giro (was it in `89?) he kept the winnings.

Wow, that is lame.

I didn't know he was that greedy.

"dwjones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...

> > I ran track for 12 years before becoming a cyclist.
> >
> > That is how I know runners are clueless. They're right up there with triathletes.
> >

>running track as u did and running marathons and ultamarathons as i do are
like night and day.

Dumbass -

Track and marathon have a lot more in common with each other than they do with cycling.

There is very little draft in running. The tactics in cycling are a few orders of magnitude greater
than in running.

That doesn't mean you should quit maintaining that running is like cycling. It's great fun when
runners make asses out of themselves here.

"dwjones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Goddamm.
> >
> > There wasn't a completely compelling reason to rip you before, but now
> there
> > is.
> >
> > Runners do not understand cycling, even if they do put an incredible 45 miles a week on
> > the bike.
> >
> > Don't be a dumbass. Lurk awhile before posting.
> >

> > "Better to be silent and let them think you're an idiot than open your
> mouth
> > and confirm it"
> > - no one knows who originated that quote but many wish they did
> >
> > granted cycling is not my prime sport. i have only been cycling for the
> past 5 years where as i have been running competitively(in high school, college and post college)
> for the past 37 years. but from what i have learned over the 5 years of cycling we are not talking
> about brain surgery when it comes to having a decent understanding the sport. now tell me why
do
> u feel that runners do not understand cycling? it seems to me that u have something against
> runners who also cycle. maybe your problem is that u do not understand running nor those who run
> distance.

Don't take it personally. It is just part of the culture of competitive road cycling. Maybe it is
because the sport takes so much work to even be decent that the cyclists that have paid their dues
want to be respected. No single person can change the culture. Everyone gets treated like a newbie
until they get up to speed literally and figuratively.

There are also exceptions to this custom. If I am not mistaken, Greg Lemond did not share his 1986
earnings with the La Vie Claire all of the team because he claimed (truthfully) that most of them
did not help with his victory. He probably gave Steve Bauer, Andy Hamsten and Nikki Ruttiman a cut
but not Jeff Bernard, Bernard Hinault and the other team mates whose names I don't recall because
Greg felt that they worked against him (and for Hinault). There are probably other examples of
contrarians with regard to this custom.

Some teams have their contracts written to stipulate that all prize earnings are put in to a pool to
be split among the team. As others have already stated, it is also stipulated that bonuses are given
to winners for high profile events and sometimes even for UCI points.

The bottom line is that Lance Armstrong is very loyal to his team mates and he has very high
expectations of loyalty from them.

Can you see David Millar sharing his winnings with his team? I can't.

> > DWJONES... The winner always gives his money to his teammates as a thank you for helping him
> > win. The winner gets lots of other money and priizes as as result of his win.
>
> THIS IS INCORRECT.
>
> Standard Operating Procedure is: the winner always splits his money with
his
> teamates.
>
> What happens at USPS at the TdF is different. Armstrong forgoes his split. Not only that, he
> doubles the pot with his own money.
>
> That is not SOP.

I read somewhere (USA Today?) that LANCE got a $3,500,000 bonus from USPS for winning his fifth TdF.

Kinda takes the sting out of writing that $465,000 check...

Net (USPS) bonus $3,035,000.00

news:p[email protected]...

> Dumbass -
>
> I ran track for 12 years before becoming a cyclist.
>
> That is how I know runners are clueless. They're right up there with triathletes.

So you actually BEGAN life as a fattie master?

Fred, uh...I mean...Pete

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Shayana
Kadidal) wrote:

> Either way Armstrong is being generous. Which he can afford, since he makes about 8 times what
> Heras does in team salary (much more with endorsements).--Shayana Kadidal

Heras gratefully makes $665,000 a year in salary, nearly triple what he did at Kelme. (Cycle Sport
Magazine 2003 Tour De France issue.)

Tony

"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> news:p[email protected]...
>
> > Dumbass -
> >
> > I ran track for 12 years before becoming a cyclist.
> >
> > That is how I know runners are clueless. They're right up there with triathletes.
>
> So you actually BEGAN life as a fattie master?

Ya.

There was a brief period where I segued out of it. Now I am a Masters Fattie again.

Not giving all the money to his teammates would have been an insult to them, and the amount of money
in relation to Lance's income is trivial. Linda like me tipping the bartender 75 cents versus $1

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:19:23 GMT, "dwjones" <[email protected]> wrote:

>by giving the $465,000 for winning the tour de france to his teammates and staff. now just how many
>athletes would do as lance did whether or not they NEEDED the money? i dare say hardly any if
>anyone at all. major kudos to lance for rewarding your team.

Don't disagree with you, but haven't followed the Kobe incident. Is Kobe trying to buy his accuser
off and also pay his wife off to support him?

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 08:42:18 -0600, "JTN" <[email protected]> wrote:

>what are you talking about. kobe bryant is about to give some chick 10 million for one nut and he
>already gave his wife about 10 million for letting him get that one nut high in the mountains of
>Colorado. now that's high class......
>

>"dwjones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> by giving the $465,000 for winning the tour de france to his teammates and staff. now just how
>> many athletes would do as lance did whether or not
>they
>> NEEDED the money? i dare say hardly any if anyone at all. major kudos to lance for rewarding
>> your team.

"dwjones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> by giving the $465,000 for winning the tour de france to his teammates and staff. now just how
> many athletes would do as lance did whether or not they NEEDED the money? i dare say hardly any if
> anyone at all. major kudos to lance for rewarding your team.

I would hardly say that. It has been a long standing tradition of the tour for the winner to share
the prize money with his teammates.

Dene Wilby <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, dwjones45 @comcast.net says...
> > by giving the $465,000 for winning the tour de france to his teammates and staff. now just how
> > many athletes would do as lance did whether or not they NEEDED the money? i dare say hardly any
> > if anyone at all. major kudos to lance for rewarding your team.
>
> I'm a huge fan of LA too but don't ALL the teams distribute the prize money that way?

Lance is very cognizant of the fact that his team contributed more than ever this to his victory.

> Dene

"Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dene Wilby <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > In article <[email protected]>, dwjones45 @comcast.net says...
> > > by giving the $465,000 for winning the tour de france to his teammates
and
> > > staff. now just how many athletes would do as lance did whether or not
they
> > > NEEDED the money? i dare say hardly any if anyone at all. major kudos
> > > lance for rewarding your team.
> >
> > I'm a huge fan of LA too but don't ALL the teams distribute the prize money that way?
>
> Lance is very cognizant of the fact that his team contributed more than ever this to his victory.

"very cognizant of the fact"

You mean he's "aware"?

Dashii

> > > When Andy Hampsten won the Giro (was it in `89?) he kept the winnings.
> >

> > Wow, that is lame.
> >

> > I didn't know he was that greedy.
>
> It was in '88.
>
> Bobke: A Ride on the Wild Side of Cycling Published in Paperback by Velo Press (1995) Author: Bob
> Roll Amazon base price: $16.95
>
> "Rode the Tour de France with Lemond. The Giro with Andy Hampsten. Helped Andy win the Giro
> d'Italia in probably the most epic stage ever of any Grand Tour when Hampsten claims the lead of
> the race in a freak snowstorm over the tallest mountains in Italy, aided by his trusty
> leftenant-one certain Bob Roll-who brought warm drink and clothing up to his leader to assist him
> win the stage and the Giro. (Many riders crawled off their bikes, weeping in pain and the
> knowledge they would never even finish the stage, much less the race. ) Not so Mr. Roll-- in
> helping his teammate win, Mr. Roll of course suffered hypothermia, frostbite, and literally had to
> have his heart jumped when the freezing temperatures plummeted his pulse to a mere 20 or 30 beats
> per minute. Oh yeah, he was also the person Lance Armstrong called when, during his comeback
> post-cancer, Lance wanted a good training partner and colleague to go to Boone, North Carolina to
> exorcise his demons and return to the bike...."

What a story. Thanks for the info on the book....it looks like a good read. Is Boone N.C. a good
place to ride? If so, is there a link to biking in Boone?

Curt