Lance Armstrong Won't Fight Usada Charges

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by steve, Aug 23, 2012.

1. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/us-government-joins-whistleblower-suit-against-armstrong

So, now how you are going to spin your prediction?

2. Busch

Busch New Member

This is going no where?/img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

The talent pool for legal affairs is in the private sector. Federal prosecutors are going to be eaten alive. Articles I have read state, that by the US Postal Service's own admission, have received 100 of millions dollars in benefit from supporting Lance Armstrong. How are are they going to site damages now.

Plus you have Clinton pulling strings to soften this up and Clinton knows how to work out of a scandal!
    This is how you do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=kPxwKS12TXE&NR=1
    More tax payer money down the drain. He Lance will probably file a counter claim and win!!!

3. jpwkeeper

jpwkeeper Member

4. jpwkeeper

jpwkeeper Member

Or are you asking me to make one?

If so, I think they'll have a hard time proving US Postal was damaged and/or did not benefit. They'll get him on witness tampering; that's a slam dunk. If he had a specific no-doping clause in his contract they might get something out of him on that part. Drug Trafficing won't stick since they let Ferrari do all the trafficing, same with distribution. Really reading the Reasoned Decision they seemed to have designed the whole operation around the idea that this might happen.

My only hope is that whatever they get out of him is at least equal to what they spend getting it, but I don't have high hopes that it will be. If they settle, then that would be the best outcome since it won't cost them overly much to do so and their odds of actually making a profit on the deal are much higher. That, and they'd better move fast before Lance loses the rest of his money to other suits/settlements and basically can't pay up.

That being said, there's money to be made betting against the DOJ. They managed to hork the Clemens case (and seemingly on purpose too) and that seems pretty air tight.

5. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Oh, well. It's a shame the DoJ didn't consult you, but what they're doing is well within the range of things they can do. As a bonus, they can likely pursue other cases of different natures at the same time.....like they normally do.

6. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

and to which you fail to provide links or to cite directly.

the final paragraph of the article addresses your concerns on the amount of damages versus benefits of having sponsored postal.

7. Busch

Busch New Member

Well I know I will sleep a lot better at night knowing that the DOJ is hot on the trail of a guy who rides a bike for a living.

8. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

9. Busch

Busch New Member

So the government joins a lawsuit with a fellow doper of Lance's who defrauded friends and family that supported his defense against another federally funded agency saying that the US Postal Service, which is not a government agency and received far more recognition for those dollars than they ever dreamed possible, was defrauded by Tailwind Sports where Lance had fractional ownership.

Question: Can I sue the US Postal Service for misappropriation of my tax dollars to a bike team.

This is getting stupider by the minute!

You want a prediction. US Gov Loses!!!! and I mean Big!

10. Busch

Busch New Member

11. Busch

Busch New Member

It does not. This was probably the greatest winfall in all of sports. US Postal Service invested in a rag tag team paying them a fraction of what other pro teams were getting paid in a remote sport and receiving the greatest story in the history of all sports on an international stage. I am sure there are reams of paper and ROI supporting the genius of the US Postal senior officials that approved this publicity venture!!!!!!

Of course it turned out to be the worst story but I bet there is not one email within US Postal that discusses the monetary issues they suffered cause oh this!

Oddly enough the Postal Service will provide documents that clear the case of any damages. You wait and see.

12. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

just pointing out you did not cite or reference a single article, yet made a claim concerning the benefits reaped by u s postal system from the sponsorship. the only reference i found supporting your claim comes from one of armstrong's lawyers and, oddly enough, he fails to cite any specific article or study or report.

and you've backed off your claim of having read these articles to the new position that you are "sure" that reams of them exist?

13. alienator

Interesting strategy, isn't it? I'd be willing to bet that the largest windfall in all of sports was not done courtesy of any cycling team. It's interesting that people get their panties knotted over the DoJ doing their jobs.

14. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

what gets me on this issue is, given tygart's letter to doj, what else they managed to discover which did not hit the reasoned decision? were they waiting to have armstrong contest the ban before they delivered the entirety of their evidence? i have to admit that the decision not to pursue charges last year makes this year's effort a bit curious.

on a different note, it goes a long way to making me believe armstrong would not appear before a t and r panel at any time before he's secured protection from prosecution for himself, giving the lie to his desire not to see anyone else punished.

15. lance_armstrong

Interesting, and pathetic.

16. lance_armstrong

How much of the decision to drop the case last year was due to interference by ignorant lawmakers who put a great deal of pressure on the Feds to drop their case? It's common knowledge now that Livestrong monies were used to pay lobbyists to influence govt. officials to drop the case. I'm wondering now that the DOJ may not want to soil it's hands anymore for fear that something nasty concerning last year's decision might come out.

17. Busch

Busch New Member

You may want to speculate a little here, it is some of the fun.

If USPS invest in a few "B" riders many of which had never ridin a tour much less completed a one and a rider that has never directed a team what are the odds they expected to win the tour that year with a guy coming off cancer and what were the odds he would do it 7 in a row.

Yeah, USPS got their monies worth for a busted up van and a few bucks. You dont have to be a rocket surgeon to figure that out!!!!

Lance lawyers are going to be so bored trying this one they are going to be playing paper football in the courtroom.

18. Busch

Busch New Member

Its what happens when people start working for Washington instead of the people. I have to give Tygart credit here. He took on an unpopular position for truth and doing the right thing!

19. Busch

Busch New Member

Doing their jobs ona guy who rides a bike in lawsuit that will rage on for years with little chance of victory. Not high on my DOJ priority list. Things must be slow down at the ole' DOJ.

20. alienator

I think your assumption is a reasonable one. We don't know why the DoJ dropped the first investigation. Guesses don't make for facts; however, if it was because of political pressure, it's possible and perhaps likely that Armstrong's political haystack had molded and is no longer palatable.