Lance Armstrong Won't Fight Usada Charges

Originally Posted by tonyzackery .

How can you take this internet forum stuff so seriously? Debating with anonomous pseudonyms? Seriously? All this stuff is soapbox material, IMO.
Suppose there is a measure of freedom in a pseudonym...not my style though. As you were...
I think the only one bent our of shape here is you TZ. Besides you are contradicting yourself for you can disengage from this ridiculous debate by not typing another letter any time you want, but for some reason I expect to see a debatable reply from you....... lol

hpearson said:
I think the only one bent our of shape here is you TZ.  Besides you are contradicting yourself for you can disengage from this ridiculous debate by not typing another letter any time you want,  but for some reason I expect to see a debatable reply from you.......  lol
Uh, yeah.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/is-lance-armstrong-considering-a-confession

too little, too late?

I'd surprised if he actually considered admitting everything. I think when he started suing about claims of his doping, he painted himself into a corner.

agreed. the damage control he's attempting seems an odd strategy to adopt. all this just to return to competition and yet trying to manage the "confession" to limit his liability in the suits against him? smells a bit like desperation.

I think the confession's coming - and within the month too. LA and his lawyers are simply working out the financial details and logistics. There'll be a press conference with attendees from around the world - a huge production. Very soon LA will be back in the good graces of his foundation too. The prodigal son will have returned...

I think the confession's coming - and within the month too.
Wouldn't that be a hoot! That would leave CAMPYBOB as the last apologist.

Originally Posted by limerickman .

If he confesses he runs the risk of being done for perjury.

The only testimony under oath was SGA and I am not sure what legal authority the SGA council has to enforce a deposition as testimony under oath as if in a court of law. Other than that I don't think he has any other testimony under oath does he?

^Pal - give it a rest. It's already over. Game. Set. Match.
Move on, and give your ego a break.

This confession thing go me thinking about what Lance's confession could offer that would get him something better than what Tyler Hamilton got, an 8-year suspension. After all, patience is not a trait that is usually attributed to Mr. Armstrong, and I can't envision him waiting til he's almost 50 to do triathlons again.

So would full disclosure of what transpired with McQuaid and Verbruggen be sufficient bait?

Originally Posted by oldbobcat .

So would full disclosure of what transpired with McQuaid and Verbruggen be sufficient bait?
Yep - that's what I'm thinking too. LA's going to put on an Academy Award winning victim role where he'll be pointing fingers left and right - his PTFE suit in full effect. Sending Verbruggen and McQuaid down the river in flames is necessary to save the UCI's futurre viability along with professional cycling.

Regarding the perjury irritant, that's nothing that a million dollar fine won't be able to satisfy. LA's still got some rich and powerful friends occupying governmental office space and they'll see to it that he doesn't spend a day in jail, regardless of his guilty plea to one(!) count of perjury. IMO, there will never be a more advantageous time for LA to confess than right now, and his lawyers are working on it dilligently at this moment.

Yep - that's what I'm thinking too. LA's going to put on an Academy Award winning victim role where he'll be pointing fingers left and right - his PTFE suit in full effect. Sending Verbruggen and McQuaid down the river in flames is necessary to save the UCI's futurre viability along with professional cycling.

Regarding the perjury irritant, that's nothing that a million dollar fine won't be able to satisfy. LA's still got some rich and powerful friends occupying governmental office space and they'll see to it that he doesn't spend a day in jail, regardless of his guilty plea to one(!) count of perjury. IMO, there will never be a more advantageous time for LA to confess than right now, and his lawyers are working on it dilligently at this moment.
This was always heading for a war among thieves.

Verbruggen/McQuaid don't give a fiddlers about Armstrong.
Regardless of whether or not Armstrong confesses, unfortunately the UCI will prevail in any mudslinging that might take place.

Reform of the UCI isn't dependent upon what Armstrong may or may not confess. He's yesterday's man. The currency of any confession he might make is essentially worthless.

If Lance can get clear of going to jail and all with his confession, he'll confess.

Why?

I'm a bit shocked at you guys for not having pegged this one already. To return to competition? Maybe, but doubtful. To become more sympathetic in the public eye? Maybe. But there's a bigger reason.

There is some serious money to be made, that's why. I'm thinking book deal, interviews, speaking engagements on the evils of cheating, etc.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat .

This confession thing go me thinking about what Lance's confession could offer that would get him something better than what Tyler Hamilton got, an 8-year suspension. After all, patience is not a trait that is usually attributed to Mr. Armstrong, and I can't envision him waiting til he's almost 50 to do triathlons again.

interesting spin on this, bobcat.

the guardian's matt seaton raises the proposition that this trial balloon might be just a convenient way of keeping the story in the news until the n y times story author releases her book and some score settling. all in all, i like your thought better. fits in wonderfully with the sort of character i associate with armstrong.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2013/jan/05/lance-armstrong-ready-confess-doping