Lance Armstrong Won't Fight Usada Charges

Armstrong 'confesses' during Oprah interview An unconfirmed US media report says Lance Armstrong has confessed to talk show host Oprah Winfrey that he used performance-enhancing drugs during his cycling career. Armstrong recorded the extensive interview this morning, just hours after apologising to staff at his Livestrong Cancer Foundation over his fall from grace. It was Armstrong's first interview since being stripped of his seven Tour de France crowns. Winfrey tweeted: Just wrapped with @lancearmstrong More than 2 1/2 hours . He came READY!

Originally Posted by hpearson .

Forcing? Not sure I could do that if I wanted, no more than you are forcing your atheistic beliefs on this topic.

Those three little words G-O-D really light you up man. Something happen to you brother?

God is written all over this story. So many placed hope in a man, a pretty leaky vessel by all accounts but we keep doing it and it keeps failing.

He wears a small state of Texas and a crucifix on a chain around his neck but claims no belief.
In Lance I see a direct correlation between his rejection of God and no moral compass. He will not speak of God but often says "our thoughts and prayers go out to (fill in the name)." Who is he praying to or does he not mean praying at all.

It appears he is more angry at God than does not believe in him or that he has no real understanding of who God is but believes he does by the false christianity he experienced from step father that claimed to know God but beat him.

It does not surprise me a bit to see God remove all that Lance has to get his attention. It would not surprise me a bit if Lance was very special to God. God has sure taken him on wild ride and all of us as well.

I think if Lance was committed to God at a very early age we may have never seen any of this but then again, and not unlike Sandy Hook elementary, it has brought up the question of God as people want to know the answer to a question you find no value in, WHY?

Even for men of great faith it is a hard question to answer but worth exploring!

Pearson - this thread is not a format for proselytizing.

I'm asking you to cease doing so.

steve said:
Armstrong 'confesses' during Oprah interview   An unconfirmed US media report says Lance Armstrong has confessed to talk show host Oprah Winfrey that he used performance-enhancing drugs during his cycling career.   Armstrong recorded the extensive interview this morning, just hours after apologising to staff at his Livestrong Cancer Foundation over his fall from grace.   It was Armstrong's first interview since being stripped of his seven Tour de France crowns.   Winfrey tweeted: Just wrapped with @lancearmstrong More than 2 1/2 hours . He came READY!  
hey maybe you could get the scoop next time for cyclingforums to publish !

Originally Posted by steve .

Armstrong 'confesses' during Oprah interview An unconfirmed US media report says Lance Armstrong has confessed to talk show host Oprah Winfrey that he used performance-enhancing drugs during his cycling career. Armstrong recorded the extensive interview this morning, just hours after apologising to staff at his Livestrong Cancer Foundation over his fall from grace. It was Armstrong's first interview since being stripped of his seven Tour de France crowns. Winfrey tweeted: Just wrapped with @lancearmstrong More than 2 1/2 hours . He came READY!
not to put too fine a point on it, but, given the usada report, armstrong confessing to doping is akin to him announcing that neil armstrong was the first man on the moon.

Reactions: lance_armstrong
Originally Posted by slovakguy .

not to put too fine a point on it, but, given the usada report, armstrong confessing to doping is akin to him announcing that neil armstrong was the first man on the moon.
Exactly /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/01/news/must-read-justice-department-recommends-joining-armstrong-suit_271482

The stuff we've been waiting for has suddenly been broached: Lance may testify against the UCI! Appears Ol' Floyd's gonna get paid off one way or another via his Federal whistle-blower suit. Now if Lance would've just thrown him a bone way back when, this whole enchilada may have been avoided - for a little while longer anyway. And Lance might be paying back some of that taxpayer money he used to buy his drugs.

Nicole Cook retired and gave this statement: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jan/14/nicole-cooke-retirement-statement Shows how much of a negative impact the cheats have on clean riders. The comment about dopers doing well on the way up and the way down (through book deals etc) rings far too true...

What has to crack me up is how many times people in this thread have said that until Lance admits to what he did they'll never forgive him, or something to that effect.

Then he does just that and you guys bash him for doing so. Without having actually seen the interview.

Between that and 3 pages of sniping back and forth with hardly a mention of Lance's name, there's a LOT of love in this thread.

In an aside, I do take umbrage in you guys saying Lance lied to cancer patients. Did he ever say "because I won 7 tours I can cure your cancer"? In fact, Lance's stance was always quite the opposite in that he refused to link his career and his charity. He used his ill-gotten celebrity to try to help people, and there are a lot of people that have been helped by Livestrong that don't care if he doped when he raced. Are those people better off now, or would they have been better off if Lance had never won a race?

It doesn't excuse some of the nasty stuff he's done, but it works both ways; the nasty stuff doesn't erase the good either. You guys can't have it both ways as much as you would like to paint absolutely everything Lance does as evil.

From what I understand, Lance also did not directly profit from his cancer charity, to the point where he refused to even claim travel expenses. Perhaps indirectly, but that makes the whole argument a huge stretch.

Lance ain't exactly my favorite dude in the world right now, but it's a sign of how over-the-top you guys have become that I'm being put in a position where I feel compelled to defend him.

This is not a sad day for cycling. The sad days happened when all of these guys cheated the sport, the fans and themselves. I take no pleasure in this or in the whole doping culture. I have been robbed and this is just another validation and reminder of that theft.

Me thinks that the money that was used to pay off the UCI president will be found and there will be some people stepping down from their positions.

jpwkeeper said:
What has to crack me up is how many times people in this thread have said that until Lance admits to what he did they'll never forgive him, or something to that effect. Then he does just that and you guys bash him for doing so.  Without having actually seen the interview. Between that and 3 pages of sniping back and forth with hardly a mention of Lance's name, there's a LOT of love in this thread. In an aside, I do take umbrage in you guys saying Lance lied to cancer patients.  Did he ever say "because I won 7 tours I can cure your cancer"?  In fact, Lance's stance was always quite the opposite in that he refused to link his career and his charity.  He used his ill-gotten celebrity to try to help people, and there are a lot of people that have been helped by Livestrong that don't care if he doped when he raced.  Are those people better off now, or would they have been better off if Lance had never won a race?   It doesn't excuse some of the nasty stuff he's done, but it works both ways; the nasty stuff doesn't erase the good either.   You guys can't have it both ways as much as you would like to paint absolutely everything Lance does as evil. From what I understand, Lance also did not directly profit from his cancer charity, to the point where he refused to even claim travel expenses.  Perhaps indirectly, but that makes the whole argument a huge stretch. Lance ain't exactly my favorite dude in the world right now, but it's a sign of how over-the-top you guys have become that I'm being put in a position where I feel compelled to defend him.
Did he personally apologize to anyone? No. Did he go to Simeoni, Bassons, the Andreus, Emma O'Reilly, and others and beg their forgiveness? No. Nothing he says on Oprah will make for a complete apology. Of course, going on Oprah begs the question: why go to Oprah? Why not go to a real journalist? Take all the umbrage you want. Armstrong used LiveStrong as a source of income, getting a share of the profit of each piece of merchandise sold with the LiveStrong name on it: jerseys, shorts, hats,......that's direct profit from the charity and the name LiveStrong. Further it is still not clear what the real financial relationship between him and Livestrong is or was. LiveStrong was the polish for his public persona and a shield for him to hide behind. Moreover it cannot be denied that LiveStrong grew so large because of Armstrong's celebrity, because of his fake image as a champion, a guy who went from near death to the top of the podium all on his own. Yeah, on his own with that significant aid of a doping conspiracy, threats, law suits, and intimidation. That is the essence of lying. No one is putting you in any position. That's your choice. People are justly disgusted by the man, and your feelings on it are only a sign to you

Originally Posted by Dave Pace .

Me thinks that the money that was used to pay off the UCI president will be found and there will be some people stepping down from their positions.
Call me Doubting Thomas.

Verbruggen is well ensconced with a job at the International Olympic Committee.
Pat will try to brazen it out at the UCI.

They'll spin this controversy as the final line in the sand (we heard this in 1998 too) and that a new regime will invoke zero tolerance (we heard this too in 1998).

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

This is not a sad day for cycling. The sad days happened when all of these guys cheated the sport, the fans and themselves. I take no pleasure in this or in the whole doping culture. I have been robbed and this is just another validation and reminder of that theft.
+1.

We've been royally screwed since 1998.

If I was a sponsor, I'd be looking at my company's exit strategy.

Originally Posted by jpwkeeper .

What has to crack me up is how many times people in this thread have said that until Lance admits to what he did they'll never forgive him, or something to that effect.

Then he does just that and you guys bash him for doing so. Without having actually seen the interview.

Between that and 3 pages of sniping back and forth with hardly a mention of Lance's name, there's a LOT of love in this thread.

In an aside, I do take umbrage in you guys saying Lance lied to cancer patients. Did he ever say "because I won 7 tours I can cure your cancer"? In fact, Lance's stance was always quite the opposite in that he refused to link his career and his charity. He used his ill-gotten celebrity to try to help people, and there are a lot of people that have been helped by Livestrong that don't care if he doped when he raced. Are those people better off now, or would they have been better off if Lance had never won a race?

It doesn't excuse some of the nasty stuff he's done, but it works both ways; the nasty stuff doesn't erase the good either. You guys can't have it both ways as much as you would like to paint absolutely everything Lance does as evil.

From what I understand, Lance also did not directly profit from his cancer charity, to the point where he refused to even claim travel expenses. Perhaps indirectly, but that makes the whole argument a huge stretch.

Lance ain't exactly my favorite dude in the world right now, but it's a sign of how over-the-top you guys have become that I'm being put in a position where I feel compelled to defend him.
to further what alienator offered, armstrong had a chance to "confess" to usada by answering the charges. armstrong chose to try the case in the media. he lost there. he has only "confessed" to a soft interviewer with little knowledge of the sport, its problems or the facilitators of those problems. armstrong would never likely sit for an interview with kimmage, walsh or seaton, but he could have given this interview to fotheringham or a few others, like those up at velonews. to call this interview a confession makes a mockery of that act. considering the reports that armstrong has made a veiled threat to provide testimony about uci complicity in his doping, one might see armstrong side show as a shake-down, with verbruggen and mc quaid as the targets. in that regard, all i can say to armstrong is put up or shut up, because, if that is the story to rise from this interview, he should have talked to usada from the beginning.

Reactions: limerickman
Originally Posted by slovakguy .

to further what alienator offered, armstrong had a chance to "confess" to usada by answering the charges. armstrong chose to try the case in the media. he lost there. he has only "confessed" to a soft interviewer with little knowledge of the sport, its problems or the facilitators of those problems. armstrong would never likely sit for an interview with kimmage, walsh or seaton, but he could have given this interview to fotheringham or a few others, like those up at velonews. to call this interview a confession makes a mockery of that act. considering the reports that armstrong has made a veiled threat to provide testimony about uci complicity in his doping, one might see armstrong side show as a shake-down, with verbruggen and mc quaid as the targets. in that regard, all i can say to armstrong is put up or shut up, because, if that is the story to rise from this interview, he should have talked to usada from the beginning.
+1.

Armstrong has been self serving throughout 13 year period.
But that's what sociopaths are, self serving.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth

And if you're reading this Uniballer, feel free to try to sue me.

Originally Posted by jpwkeeper .

I concur.

Basically there are a group of people and a lot of them on this site that love to tear things down or see them get torn down. It is pretty damn sad! This Slovy, as you pointed out, has been around through the ages.

Granted the Lance Armstrong thing needed to be torn down, it was a falsehood but the shear joy most of the people have on this thread about being right or getting some venue for their hatred and anger is a much sadder story than Lances. There is no real regard for cancer patients, though misguided being let down, no compassion for the cancer movement being damaged, no concern for the sport they claim to love being damaged and no understanding of a human condition they all participate in.

The irony here is that most men on this thread claimed Lance would never confess he was wrong, and now they won't either. Up until now they were no better than Lance now they are far worse. Lance confessed on the world stage and they refuse to do it in a small cycling forum in front of a few guys. They will never admit they were wrong about Lance coming forward and they will go to their death just the way they claimed Lance would. The irony of it is classic and the cowardice epic.

I watched the Marion Jones 30 for 30 last night. Her husband had a great line "everyone use to admire Marion Jones but after her fall most can relate, cause that is where most of live anyway.

He is not my favorite guy either but I like him better than I did in 2001.

Frankly this forum gives cyclist a bad name, there is no "esprit de corps" here.