Lance Armstrong Won't Fight Usada Charges

Originally Posted by dhk2 .

Steve, that's funny, thanks for the laugh. Good thing Hinault isn't subject to our USADA, because based on those photos they'd likely decide he should be stripped of all titles for bullying.

Obviously he had roid rage.

It always boggled my mind when I found out he was that first guy to shake the rider's hand on the podium - "wait, that short, smiling, back-slapping, could-lose-a-few-pounds guy is the fearsome Badger? I thought he retired to eat raw meat and punch anyone who came within a 10 ft radius of him."

Originally Posted by Eldrack .

...there still isn't any closure on this. People who thought he doped still think he doped. People who didn't think he doped still don't think he doped.

Probably the most true post here.

A lifeban from the sport

Not of much concern to a 40-year old millionaire with a kick-ass art collection, several sweet homes, a cancer foundation, a bunch of endorsement deals, some new, humorous commercial deals in the offing, I would venture to guess. If we can train him to say, "Make the calculation" repeatedly there's a future in broadcasting for him.

and the removal of his entire Tour de France record from 1996 onwards,

No one has forgotten Charlie Hustle. No one will forget Lance's incredible rides or the results he earned. No one has fogotten Mr. 60%. Or tainted loveburger boy. Or a certain team sweeping 1-2-3 into a certain velodrome. Or...the fact that Andy and his pink pony never won one Tour on his own...let alone seven.

His fourth place in the 1998 Vuelta will probably be expunged too,

I'm pretty sure there was a criterium in Aliquippa, Pennsylvania in 1993 that he finished 14th in that will be erased from the books too With any kind of luck those Soviet airbrush artists are still alive and Tygart can hire them to get Lancer's image off the podium pics the same way they deleted Molotov and Beria from the Kremlin/Red Square pictures. Ales Klar, Herr Kommissar?

This will be of little consolation to riders such as Bassons and Simeoni for example,

Meanwhile, ASO is currently 36 riders down the finishers list looking for a winner. They still haven't got to...who were those guys again???

but these sanctions are an unequivocal statement.

They certainly are. Of what, most are still trying to figure out.

We look forward to the day when Lance is rehabilitated into the Party.

Now, let us all watch one of Ogonzilla's legendary tribute videos of the world's greatest cyclist! From 1999...when the doping saga began continued...we give you...Sestriere! Featuring...Escartin! and Alex Zulle!

...and I say to you tonight! Let us not forget! There is hope!

The sport didn't or couldn't stop doping. The USADA isn't punishing Armstrong... that is merely the story-line being feed to the media. Conversations of Armstrong's doping, turns into talking about ALL the cyclists known to dope. And finally.... people will say: Cycling is merely a sport of drug enhanced performance.

The USADA is crushing competitive cycling. Lance will be fine... someone else will help sponsor cancer research. Any new cycling stars that hope to replace Lance as a spokes-person or representative... will very quickly be attacked by the USADA. It is the sport that will suffer.

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter .

The USADA is crushing competitive cycling. Lance will be fine... someone else will help sponsor cancer research. Any new cycling stars that hope to replace Lance as a spokes-person or representative... will very quickly be attacked by the USADA. It is the sport that will suffer.
Very little LiveStrong money was ever channeled to cancer research. The mission was "awareness," whatever that meant. I'd read, though, that many LiveStrong employees and volunteers did good work helping individuals deal with the disease.

My take is that by refusing to defend himself, Lance creates enough cloud of ambiguity over the legitimacy of USADA's charges. Lance will be given sufficent benefit of the doubt that LiveStrong will thrive or perish by its own merits.

The UCI has been doing damage to the sport for two decades now, and it still thrives, dull Tours de France notwithstanding. The USADA is giving the media and fans a WTF moment, but this too shall pass. Anquetil, Merckx, Hinault, and Indurain are restored to their thrones as kings of fhe Tour de France, but with asterisks. Throughout Lance's reign there has been sufficient evidence to open investigations into teams USPS and Discovery, but interference from Lance's lawyers and the UCI, and a timid WADA, held them back. Then Landis spit in the soup, and USADA felt it needed to respond, somehow.

USADA's best bet was Novitsky's fraud investigation because it would have compelled Lance to defend himself or face criminal penalties. USADA needed to enforce consequences for Lance's non-participation, but I'm not sure that stripping away his titles was appropriate.

Originally Posted by limerickman .

I'm just listening to Paul Kimmage on Irish radio now.

PK is saying that the UCI's refusal to deal with this issue in 1999 is the root issue in all of this.
The root issue is the failure of all sports to deal with all of this in the past 100+ years. Only the foolish are completely ignorant would put this solely on Lance...

... then again, Mr Kimmage does need a source of income.

Given Judge Sparks comments about pretty much the lack of any evidence regarding names, events, places etc... It's be interesting to see/hear what reasoning behind attempted ban is.

That was quite a surprise for me.

Either he's tired of it all as he says, or he doesn't want to go through the stress of trying to clear his name. This could be a good strategy on his part, because people will now always wonder.

I'd like to see the document the USADA will now send to UCI.

The sport didn't or couldn't stop doping.

No sport can.

Competitive shooters and golfers are on beta blockers.

You sure can't be an NFL lineman without steroids.

MLB benched 2 players for 50 games in the last two weeks for PEDs.

The Olympic speed WALKER that was tossed for EPO use is a sign that NO SPORT is immune.

It AIN"T going to stop. Ever.

I'm not suggesting that testing be stopped, but these witch hunts are insane. Jan was outright demonized and treated worse than ****. Pantani was kicked in the nads so hard that he offed himself. It's obvious neither the sporting organizing bodies or the athletes play by ANY rule set. They make this **** up as they go.

And now look at the situation...

You have a retired athlete busted for antique 'crimes' while two convicted dopers fight for the win in the Vuelta. Brilliant! Yay sport!

... then again, Mr Kimmage does need a source of income.

Kimmage, Walsh, et al are fish wrap hacks.

If I want to watch 'award winning journalism' I'll watch Geraldo Rivera or Dan Rather lie and sensationalize. We can breed our own award winning morons very well over here, thank you very much! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

It's ALL about the money. Whether it's a Nike endorsement, selling books or promoting your career as an anti-doping crusader. From rider to author to judge. Money. There ain't a saint in the lot of them and I wouldn't **** on them if they were on fire.

Screw all that ****! Somewhere in Spain today there's a bike race going on. You can bet your last dollar or Euro or whatever funny looking money your country uses that some most of those guy are doing some sort of PEDs and really could not care less that they do. At least they still turn the pedals over themselves. No journalists or judges or prosecutors required.

To the whiners, go become an NFL lineman! Or champion rifle shooter. Or MLB hitter or pitcher. Meh...

I'd like to see the document the USADA will now send to UCI.

I think we will read it...eventually. It will be fun to see the real dirt they have on Lance...if, indeed they do.

They say there's 10 witnesses ready to testify against him. Haven't double that number already told their story under oath and in books and newspaper articles? His blood values have been known for years...he even put some up on his own website: suspicious, but not breaking any known rules.

From Woot email today!

So what do you think of this whole Lance Armstrong debacle?
monkey_right.png
monkey_left.png
I don't get it. The guy is really good at riding bikes. So what if he's a little dopey?
No, no. He's been accused of DOPING. You know, taking performance enhancing drugs.
monkey_right.png
monkey_left.png
I still don't see the problem.

So they kept upping the bets, put all their chips on the table...called his bluffs for one last time and he folded.

But there are no winners...

Originally Posted by JAPANic .
So they kept upping the bets, put all their chips on the table...called his bluffs for one last time and he folded.
But there are no winners...
+1 [emphasis added]

I really hope the UCI tell the USADA to do one, leave the record books intact as they are, and wipe their hands of this sorry mess that is further dragging the sport through the gutter. So LA probably doped... big deal. Amongst a large bunch of cheaters around that time he was still the best athlete. If they strip him of his 7 wins then who do they award it to? Look at the top 10 for most of those years and it's hard to find somebody who has not already been convicted of, or implicated in some doping scandal. The whole investigation is now too late and serves no purpose.

Performance enhanced or not, I'll always remember Lance as a supreme athlete with an almost superhuman ability to suffer through the pain, perhaps gained from his battle with cancer. Whether the record books acknowledge his achievements or not, I'll always remember him as the winner for those 7 years, and he'll remain an inspiration for me.

P.S.

Let's not forget his foundation which has raised $500M. Many of the people who want to destroy him should first take a look in the mirror and ask themselves why they wish to denigrate a legend, whose work for charity makes more of a difference in this world than they will ever amount to. Their so called attempts to clean up the sport are nothing more than a witch hunt.

so, if armstrong's doping elicits a "big deal" from you, how is usada's action "dragging the sport through the gutter"?

Originally Posted by slovakguy .

so, if armstrong's doping elicits a "big deal" from you, how is usada's action "dragging the sport through the gutter"?
Because there have been so many doping scandals over the years that the shock factor has worn off and I'm now, like many others it would seem, completely indifferent to any breaking news of another scandal. I've accepted that doping was, and still is to a lesser degree a part of the sport. As far as I'm concerned no athlete in any sport is above suspicion any longer. If anything cycling has been too stringent in catching and punishing those culprits, and as a result has destroyed it's image possibly beyond repair. Now I'm just tired of the revelations that are killing the sport I've loved for so many years, and this latest development could be a death blow.

or these latest actions could result in the rebirth of the sport. one can never tell. having lived through all this **** brought on by the dopers, their facilitators and lax enforcement by the sporting authorities, i can say that i still find the sport to be as wonderful as my earliest fascination with it.

back to the point, you are in effect blaming the policeman for arresting the mobster and the court for throwing the mobster in jail.

Originally Posted by slovakguy .

or these latest actions could result in the rebirth of the sport. one can never tell. having lived through all this **** brought on by the dopers, their facilitators and lax enforcement by the sporting authorities, i can say that i still find the sport to be as wonderful as my earliest fascination with it.

back to the point, you are in effect blaming the policeman for arresting the mobster and the court for throwing the mobster in jail.
To take your analogy a step further, suppose that mobster's crimes had been committed a long time ago. Also suppose he was now a reformed character who was much beloved by a large section of society, and who did much noble work for the benefit of others. I think in that situation there would be some people unhappy about the fact he is being punished after all this time, and that the punishment is now doing more harm than good. That's how I see the situation with Lance Armstrong. I'm not saying he should get away with everything if he had cheated, I just don't see what good it will do now.

to cut this off with a bit of a cudgel--****** helped make sure the autobahn was built, the volkswagen was put in production and that all workers got vacation. of course he also started a little thing called world war ii. benito mussolini made the trains run on time. and i hear that a good many of those old european cathedrals were financed by gentle folk who were trying to get a better spot in the line to heaven after a lifetime of murder and such things. i acknowledge the good things but have to accept the horrible aspects of the person as well.

to put it tersely--there were rules against doping. he doped. he doped in competition. he got what he deserved for those acts.