Lance Armstrong Won't Fight Usada Charges

Originally Posted by dhk2 .

Wow...interesting article. This scandal seems to be getting deeper by the day. What about the comment that doping in US pro sports isn't a concern of the fans?
That comment does say a great deal about the ethics/moral compass, or lack thereof, of Mr. Weisel. At the end of the day though, it's simply his opinion/speculation. IMO, it is a concern of the fans - definitely.

limerickman said:
The underlined bit is probably the most accurate summation that I've ever read in my 9 years on CF.
Yup, it sums up things very neatly. As for a sad day for cycling, on one hand I think that's right in that significant chunk of its history since 1998 has been shredded, and it's been cast under a very long, dark shadow. On the other hand, stretching the shadow metaphor to its limits, cycling now has the opportunity to emerge from the shadow in a much better state. Of course that depends on a few big things, McQuad and Verbruggen being thrown out the window for one. Of course cycling had this chance before in the wake of the Festina affair, but Verbruggen was the UCI chief then......hmmmm.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Yup, it sums up things very neatly.

As for a sad day for cycling, on one hand I think that's right in that significant chunk of its history since 1998 has been shredded, and it's been cast under a very long, dark shadow. On the other hand, stretching the shadow metaphor to its limits, cycling now has the opportunity to emerge from the shadow in a much better state. Of course that depends on a few big things, McQuad and Verbruggen being thrown out the window for one.

Of course cycling had this chance before in the wake of the Festina affair, but Verbruggen was the UCI chief then......hmmmm.
I can understand from where you folks are coming, but Professional cycling is NOT 'cycling'. It is not a sad day for cycling (IMO) - I, you, and anyone else can still go get on our bikes and do some cycling. The activity of cycling, in all its beauty and glory, needs to have its umbilical cord once and forever cut from the Professional cycling business enterprise. What some doper did for his career should in no way influence another individual such that that person is no longer interested in riding their bike. That's ludicrous - as much as that person who says they took up cycling in the first place because Lance Armstrong won the Tour in the late 90s/early 2000s.

I wasn't aware that Armstrong tried to buy the TdF.
Neither was I.

I don't recall the ASO putting the TDF up for sale either, so wanting to buy the TDF was probably another pipe dream on the Uniballer's part.

"What about the comment that doping in US pro sports isn't a concern of the fans?"

Truth. People vote with their wallets. NFL Football is the largest draw in the nation and has the most money changing hands at someting like nine and a half billion.It's full of dope and they just instituted an in-season Hgh testing program. No one in their right mind gives a **** and no one in their right mind would kill the golden goose. Like cycling did.

NFL.

More.
Popular.
Than.
Evar.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

"What about the comment that doping in US pro sports isn't a concern of the fans?"

Truth. People vote with their wallets. NFL Football is the largest draw in the nation and has the most money changing hands at someting like nine and a half billion.It'sFull of dope and they just instituted an in-season Hgh testing program. No one in their right mind gives a **** and no one in their right mind would kill the golden goose. Like cycling did.

NFL.

More.
Popular.
Than.
Evar.
Negative. You're speaking with ignorance - again. But you're entitled to your time on the soapbox too.
The NFL's popularity is due to many things, but doped athletes is definitely NOT one of them.

Truth. People vote with their wallets. NFL Football is the largest draw in the nation and has the most money changing hands at someting like nine and a half billion.It'sFull of dope and they just instituted an in-season Hgh testing program. No one in their right mind gives a **** and no one in their right mind would kill the golden goose. Like cycling did.

NFL.

More.
Popular.
Than.
Evar.
Domestic audience watching only.

"The NFL's popularity is due to many things, but doped athletes is definitely NOT one of them."

Such as?

"Domestic audience watching only."

It's the only audience that counts. The 'N' stands for National.

No one in their right mind gives a **** and no one in their right mind would kill the golden goose. Like cycling did.
so, in your bizarre world, one is of right mind when fully supporting the use of medicines designed for people with medical conditions upon healthy bodies? you are twisted.

A video of Armstrong testifying to refresh our memories of what a wonderful person he really was..... [video]http://cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2013/01/15/nr-world-according-to-lance-armstrong.cnn.html[/video] What a classy statement about the Andreus: "I think he's trying to back up his old lady." It would only be just if Betsy Andreu was given the opportunity to kick Armstrong in his ball.

Originally Posted by limerickman .

Call me Doubting Thomas.

Verbruggen is well ensconced with a job at the International Olympic Committee.
Pat will try to brazen it out at the UCI.

They'll spin this controversy as the final line in the sand (we heard this in 1998 too) and that a new regime will invoke zero tolerance (we heard this too in 1998).
Naw, Ill call you nothing of the sort when you speak the truth. But I really do think that there will be a lot more eyes watching the higher ups and looking in to what is and did happen. Will anything come of it? Nothing more then another lump under the already lumpy carpet.

Originally Posted by tonyzackery .

Negative. You're speaking with ignorance - again. But you're entitled to your time on the soapbox too.
The NFL's popularity is due to many things, but doped athletes is definitely NOT one of them.
I dont think that was his point. His point was that doped athletes are killing the sport NOT that it is making it great. People don't care in bodybuilding, NFL, pro wrestling etc... and this much is true.

I am not advocating drugs but the use of drugs made cycling much more exciting, high cadence climbing, lead changes, huge come backs, close finishes. Cycling was far more exciting in the Armstrong years than it ever has been ........save 8 secs in Paris tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic!

A video of Armstrong testifying to refresh our memories of what a wonderful person he really was.....

http://cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2013/01/15/nr-world-according-to-lance-armstrong.cnn.html

What a classy statement about the Andreus: "I think he's trying to back up his old lady." It would only be just if Betsy Andreu was given the opportunity to kick Armstrong in his ball.

Just cant give it up can you Alienator. Now posting tired old videos that everyone has seen a thousand times to try and drum up a little business.

Your probably the same hard talking, tough guy that the minute you bumped into Lance in a elevator would submissively extend your hand and then run a round telling everyone who is not on this thread, and does not know what a tough guy you are, that you just met Lance Armstrong and he shook my hand!

"you are twisted."

Lancer has offered up the most sophisticated, professionized and successful apology that sport has ever seen. Have a tissue.

Originally Posted by slovakguy .

so, in your bizarre world, one is of right mind when fully supporting the use of medicines designed for people with medical conditions upon healthy bodies? you are twisted.
Hey Campy speaks the truth here! If we have no tolerance for pro cycling dopers we should have none in the NFL and every where else. He is merely pointing out a double standard and he is right!

The largest man in the NFL in 1975 was 275lbs. There are some quarterbacks almost that big now.

"Domestic audience watching only."

It's the only audience that counts. The 'N' stands for National.
Which mean **** all in global terms.