Lance Armstrong... Yes or No?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by meehs, Feb 6, 2004.

1. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

April 2004 : edition of Cycle Sport magazine carries some fascinating articles on 5 American riders here in Europe : LA, TH,
    Jullich, Leipheimer and leMond.
    I've only gotten as far as reading the LeMond article (he's interviewed by Johnathan Vaughters) and there's also an editorial about LeMond.

It is obvious from reading the article and interview that Greg is widely, widely respected here in Europe.
    Maybe it's because he beat Hinault and Fignon, maybe it's because he cycled both one day and stage races, maybe it's because he spoke French.
    It could well be a combination of all these factors.
    The bottom line is that he is respected and thought well of by the
    majority of fans in Europe.
    If you read the TH article, you get a similar impression - TH talks about how he likes Gerona (Spain) and how he likes the experience of living in Europe.
    Seems to be like LeMond in a lot of ways.

From what I know LA is different - he keeps his interviews confined to cycling, training etc.
    He may well like Europe but who knows ?

Our transatlantic friends should try to get a copy of the magazine
    to see the views of the countries pros here in Europe.

2. alicem

alicem New Member

I havn't read that magazine Lim but pressume you are referring to Tyler Hamilton? Darn, I'm not even transatlantic and still havn't got a copy! :(

If so and re his 'pad' in Gerona....he has a place on Lance's estate so wonder if that is what is being referred to? His wife and family always got on very well with the Armstrong Clan. Don't quote me on it especially due to the divorce and repercussions of dividing estates etc and what will happen from now.......

But from what I know they both get on famously and contradictory to L.A's perception/perceieved deception of Livingston he actually encouraged Tyler to go T.C.S from Postal despite other changes since and said he thinks he has a good chance of winning or getting very near the top ranks of TDF positions.

Didn't we both read the same article months ago on L.A in 'The Times' when Crowe answered the door to his estate in Gerona? I'm sure we both posted on it re his contrite response to Pantani....yet if you/we think back he was at that house wasn't he?

Hopefully you will post back and let us know?

In the meantime I must get some shut eye as it is the South African start of Moto G.P early and have to be there watching and disturbing my neighbours ouching and awwing on my riders!!!!!

Alice :)

3. soneca2

soneca2 New Member

I think the questions are wrong!

Why do I have to like or not like somebody!

Lance Armstrong is presently at the front of the professional cyclist and being at the pinnacle everything becomes very emotional. You are loved or hated or both.

I remember when Eddy Merckx won so many races in the sixties and was at his best and he was loved and hated, but many were just waiting to see him struggling, because he was too strong and won to many races. So he had his fans and enemies.

I would say, lets regard L. Armstrong as a champion, who made it, through skill and very hard work, because probably cycling is one of the hardest, if not he hardest sport around.

You have not only to be a tough guy, but you have to be made of steel to stay at the top for so many years.

So let us give him the merit of his accomplishment.

4. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Alice,

TH is indeed Tyler Hamilton.
    In the CS interview, TH and his wife are living in an apartment in down town Gerona (central Gerona).
    The article doesn't imply that he's living in/on a property owned by
    LA.
    The article doesn't mention the Armstrong's - except to say that
    TH moved to Nice in 2000 so that he could train with LA when
    LA was based in Nice.

The TH article is less about cycling and more about how he and his wife enjoy living in Spain and how life is different to living in the USA (he talks about siestas and how the family is the focus of everything in Spain).
    He talks about being an American in Gerona, given what's happening in Iraq (and he says that they have never experienced
    an hostility because of what is going on in Iraq).
    He seems like a very rounded person - all in all.

5. alicem

alicem New Member

Ahh, got it !

I re read the article I was referring to and it isn't an estate like I incorrectly thought previously. I do know however that L.A and T.H are both geographically very close (in Gerona...or for nit pickers ~GIrona!)due to their friendship, let alone loving the place and who would blame them?!

Bless M.B. Wish I could have seen that grin in the race today....but nonetheless what a great day for all Italians in cycling and also Moto G.P!

Alice :)

6. Fixey

Fixey New Member

Refereance was to point out Euro's dont just hate lance (when I say Euro's here I mean the general european cycling community) they hated Fignon just as much as they do lance, thus throwing doubt on the "they hate him coz he is a yank" arguement. Im not a euro btw

7. Fixey

Fixey New Member

Actually this post got me thinking, I was a great fan and admirer of Mig. I recall having many a debate about it and there being many detracters. Alot of people wanted to see Rominger take him down. Mabey LA's hate him/love him position is not as new as I mabey thought. Mabey all dominent sports people have thier fair share of detracters. Just seems LA has SOOO many, and personally I am still one

8. alicem

alicem New Member

Thanks Fix. for your message!

Yep, I totally did misconstrue especially regarding where you must come from. I took it you were from 'Up North' as we say here in England due to the use of 'Aye' (rolling eyes even at myself! now for thinking you were from somewhere especially based on the use of just just '3 letters'!).

My comment to what you said is that isn't it sad that anyone 'hates' let alone vis a vis let alone that of L.A. Such a waste of energy :(

In my opinion we should all just be happy that anyone has accomplished what he has instead; yet will forever, even into his retirement remain a pro/con issue. Yes, Fignon was unpopular but everthing re L.A is sheer disgust or pure admiration for 5 in a row let alone if he gets 6. Shame isn't it that we are so happy or so peed off at him?!

Actually though, was there that same passion surrounding Indurain for one? (NEW THREAD perhaps?!)I don't think there was 'hate' and would love to know if anyone else perceives the same. It appears that we have moved onto a new arena and I'm not sure that I like it.

I'm a L.A supporter and proud to say it. I don't just 'back' winners. It just happened that way.

Either way,let the best man win and be chuffed to bits for anyone if they win a TDF.

End!

Take care Fix, and ty. again for replying.

Alice x

9. alicem

alicem New Member

Urgh, my grammar was awful just then...I need to sleep!!!! Sorry guys! A x

10. poodle

poodle New Member

Having read Lance's books and similarly got into the sport via them, I am a fan of his. But recently read Fife's history of the tdf and it puts a lot of it in perspective.

Going to follow the last week of the tdf in a campervan; does anyone have any insight into the tricks of doing that well? Where to park, what time to head up the mountains, etc etc?

11. Trekker2017

Trekker2017 New Member

Although I voted yes, my money is on Tyler Hamilton this TDF.

12. Fixey

Fixey New Member

Here is some insight, send me some plane tickets and I will come with you and guide you :D

Go early dude, expect to be on the mountain for "Hours" before the race. Never been (DAMN IT) but I have heard it is an all day thing to see one snippet on a mountain.

13. fuelrider

fuelrider New Member

The guys at Chain Reaction bicycles in California have the best take I've seen to date on how to watch and why you should go. Check it out: http://www.chainreaction.com/tdfwatching.htm

14. Jdawg

Jdawg New Member

I for one find Lance's "take me or leave me" attitude, somewhat refreshing. Why should Athletes have to snuff up to everyone? They are not politicians or Movie stars trying to get someone to come see their movie. Lance is who he is. Straight forward, calls it how he sees it and works his ARS off EVERY time he gets in the saddle.

That's more than I can say for Jan Ullrich who is probably the most popular GC contender in Europe right now.

Therefore, I say, if you don’t like his attitude, you don’t have to be his friend, but wholly cow, it’s beyond me how some refuse to recognize this guy as a GREAT champion.

He IS a proponent of the sport.

He DOES cater the media, even the French.

He may have quirks with JU and Mayo but for the most part, he is liked by the peloton.

All the riders that have ridden for him or with him and have sub sequentially left, still back him and occasionally train with him.

I just do not get it sometimes.

Most People did not like Edmond Hillary's attitude, and still do not, but No climber I know would ever say he was not a Great Climber.

Jdawg

15. fuelrider

fuelrider New Member

Don't know if you got this. I was reminded of this read when I saw your post: The guys at Chain Reaction bicycles in California have the best take I've seen to date on how to watch and why you should go. Check it out: http://www.chainreaction.com/tdfwatching.htm

16. fuelrider

fuelrider New Member

Good take.

17. Fixey

Fixey New Member

Problem is Lance is paid millions of dollars to suck up to the camera's. A proffessional cyclist is not paid to race bikes, he is paid to promote a sponsores product. That may include winning races but it sure includes public profile and public impression. What you call "Take me or Leave me" most just call arogant.

18. Fixey

Fixey New Member

Can you back that up or are you just shooting your mouth? Over here Sir Edmond Hillary is idolised by probably everyone. For his climbing, his humanatarian work but mostly because of his attitude. I challange you to;
    1) define what you mean by most people, ie most people in the world, most people in the USA, most people you know ect
    2) state what sources you used to justify saying "Most People" ie you personally know most people, you read a book that said most people, few lof ya mates havin a beer said "that Hillary is a dork" ect
    3) state what was disliked about his attitude.
    If you didnt guess this one hit a nerve, if you can justify your comment so be it, otherwise.......

19. meehs

meehs New Member

I would argue that Trek would be WAY happier to see Lance win the Tour than kiss the collective press's behind. The exposure their product get's from big wins is much greater than that which it gets from interviews, etc. Lance is paid to race bikes not to suck-up to the press. Ask Trek!

20. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Edmund Hillary is an icon.
    How anyone could say that his attitude wasn't good - isn't telling it like it is.
    In this part of the world Hillary is regarded very, very highly.

There has been some speculation that Mallory and Irvine reached
    Everest's summit first in 1924 but without proof, Hillary is still the man.

It was a strange comment by Jdawg.