Lance Armstrong... Yes or No?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by meehs, Feb 6, 2004.

1. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Yeah, my friend got some photos this which he is going to forward to me and I will publish here.
    For about 1-1.5 kms on the last part of that stage, the gradient
    did hit 20%.

It is hard to fathom -

Like you 5% is tough going for me !

2. thebikerestorer

thebikerestorer New Member

I am an avid Lance Armstrong fan and a fellow cancer survivor. He has conquered his malady and the cycling world. While still not up there with Eddy he is the best cyclist of our generation. I would like to see him ride the Giro in the future so he can put his name up there with the real greats of cycling. By the way I'm also a Tyler Hamilton fan as well, his performance in last years tour was heroic in the very least. American cycling seems to becoming a valid threat to the European dominated sport of world class cycling, we can thank Greg LeMond and Andy Hampsted for that. Go Lance!!!

3. mrowkoob

mrowkoob New Member

Why?

Because he´s the best.

I would say it´s a European notion to favor the underdog.
    While Americans in general only look up to winners.
    It´s just a difference of attitude.
    Personally I couldn´t care less who wins the TDF as long as I get to watch a good fair fight for the top of the podium.

4. Carrera

Carrera New Member

There's one or two of 20% grades around my area and they aren't short climbs either. I'll post you all a pic of one of these in the near future soon as I remember to take a camera on my training run.
    In the Cycle Sport magazine Miguel Indurain commented he thought LA would have some problems this time around in the tour, although he admits he still has a good chance of winning. Miguel points to the team time trial with a maximum loss limit of 2-30. Also, the main challenges of the tour will appear in the last week (more presure) and Lance won't be able to open any gaps as soon as he did in the past. Miguel seems to feel the layourt of the tour isn't in Armstrong's favour this year but time will tell.
    Cycle Sport offers an assessment of all the competitors and gives their present condition. Ullrich is just about starting to peak but has been battling against his weight. Beloki is still not quite over last years crash and Vinokourov is cited as a strong contender along with Tyler Hamilton.

5. Beastt

Beastt New Member

Thank you so much for the offer of a photo. I'll have to keep checking back for it. I know what you mean about remembering to take a camera. I bought one primarily just for rides and it still spends more time sitting on the desk than in a jersey pocket.

Odd how quickly and unexpectedly things change in the Tour de France line-up. Beloki is out having abandoned his team and Vino's crash in the Tour of Switzerland has put him out of the tour as well.

I'm not surprised that Indurain would be less than optimistic about Armstrong's chances. Indurain was clearly dominant through his 5 wins and then fell to pieces on the attempt at six. I don't see Lance coming apart but I think this will be more difficult for him than any of the first four. Unless, of course, he's still keeping his fitness under wraps to use at a prime moment.

6. Meeba

Meeba New Member

Lance's dedication to raising money for cancer research,is enough in my books to rate him and alright bloke.And the fact that he loves cycling.
    Tho ld love to see Evan Cadel ? give him a run for his money TDF 04!!! ;)

7. Carrera

Carrera New Member

Yes, I can understand there being some wishful thinking on the part of Indurain with regard to Lance's chances.
    It may well be the case there simply isn't quite strong enough competition out there to dethrone Lance at this time. Indurain in his prime would have been a problem for LA this year but instead his main competitors are Ullrich and Vinokourov. These guys are phenomenal cyclists but it would take a genetic freak to dethrone Lance - somebody young and phenomenal who will appear from out of nowhere.
    If Lance wins, good luck to him. I read both his books and he comes across as a really decent, motivated guy. I'm split 50% 50% on the issue. Maybe he will win the tour unless someone else shows up in phenomenal condition.

8. steve007

steve007 New Member

The Dauphine performance was just another bluff by Lance. Some people have short memories......

9. steve007

steve007 New Member

10. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Di Luca and Millar are being investigated by the Italian and French
    police authorities respectively.
    This is a major difference to being written about in a book.
    Millar and Di Luca investigations has forced the TDF to ban them.

Armstrong - to date - is not subject to investigation by a national
    civil authority.
    If Armstrong is subject to investigation by the civil authorities
    then the TDF would have to consider banning him from the TDF.

11. steve007

steve007 New Member

Welli know Lance isnt under investigation right now, but is it not possible that the book could change that?

I seem to remember another similar case where an article was puiblished and as a result an investigation began.....or am i thinking of something else.....

Hope it doesnt happen anyway.

12. davidmc

davidmc New Member

Don't know much about him other than he's a 5 time TDF winner & going for a 6th win, he's from/ or lives in Texas, he had cancer & is still riding & his current girlfriend(?) is a popular musician. I generally don't like someone just because they win events & happen to be an american. Now w/ these new allegations of doping in the late 90's leaves me wondering about his "clean as the driven snow" image. He reminds me of Michael Jordon in his dominance of a sport as Jordan used to be "Mister Basketball".
    I think these allegations will end up being inprovable or Lance's legal people will make it unpleasant for people to bring up such things in the future. Lets face it, its all about marketing-selling junk once you become famous.

13. Sleektabby

Sleektabby New Member

He’s never blinked at a drug test. He’d been tested up the wazoo by the French when he lived there. They investigated (and I think harassed) him to no end. Nothing has ever been found as far as Lance possibly doping. I actually do believe that he’s innocent of doping allegations. Once you’ve lived through a near-death cancer experience I don’t think you’d ever want to put any questionable foreign substance into your body.

And as far as his personal life goes – who really know what’s up except for Lance, Kirsten and Cheryl. Relationships are tricky, personal and their business exclusively.

14. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

Think the guy´s a hell of a bike rider but don´t like the personality he presents to the world , was saying about last year´s Limogue stage about how hot it was and he couldn´t sleep - can you imagine that his team wold have booked him into a hotel didn´t have airconditioning ? Sometimes I think he does it to play mind games , but it don´t add to his popularity with the public to have him complaining all the time .
    If it stays cold he´ll win , if the temperature goes up he could lose it but that´s the point he won´t be beaten , he´ll have to lose it himself .

15. mingcat9

mingcat9 New Member

I'm an american and i'm not a big lance fan. I respect is acomplishments (which are really great,), but he doesn't have the charisma of other athletes. he has improved american cycling, but only within the sport. the average american still doesn't give fill-in-the blank about cycling.

16. art andre

art andre New Member

yes, i am for lance, he had a great come back from cancer.

17. TrekDedicated

TrekDedicated New Member

Absolutely against him, I agree with all the people who say he has no personality. I mean, honestly, who goes and talks with cancer patients that might not live another day? Why would you want to start a cancer foundation?

Jeeze, he should love the camera and media attention he gets. I mean people like Britney Spears, J. Lo, Allen Iverson, etc etc, love the camera, talk to it all the time. I want to hear about all the luxuries Lance has. How about the VH1 special: The fabulous life of Lance Armstrong!!! Why should we focus on what he is paid to do? I want him to be all glamor. We all hound Jan Ullich for not preparing himself enough in the off season. Who cares? We, as a society, are caught up with how you act for the camera and how physically attractive you are and if you don't comply with exactly what the public wants, you are deemed arogant and a jerk.

When you have the camera on you, why bother training anymore? He needs to sacrifice all his time for tv interviews, endorsements, etc etc....

Okay, I can't write this crap anymore. For people against LA this is the vibe you send off.

The man hangs out with cancer patients whenever he can. he is mentally focused even with all the media exposure hounding him for anything he does that does not make them an extra buck.

Lance is an amazing individual. Personally, I am glad he shuns the camera a lot. Shows he doesn't care about being all over the tv like most people want to. This, then leads to an arogance feel. I am not saying he is not totally arogant, everyone has times when they are. Nevertheless, he has stayed almost completely true to who he is, mentally focused and physically prepared. He has gone through stages in his life (not just race stages) and succeeded. He is the rebel and it is great. In a romantic relationship, he may not be perfect, but you cannont judge him, you do not know the inside story, nor do you deserve to know. He doesn't owe you anything. Whether you want to accept that or not, that is your decision.

He sets a perfect example in work ethic, survival, adversity, courage, dedication, etc etc. His private life is under scrutiny by people that should probably look at their own lives first. He is one of the world's greatest athletes, regardless of his off the bike life. I mean, some people are against him just b/c he has won 5 times in a row and think the tour is now boring... Are you kidding me? FIVE TIMES IN A ROW in one of the world's hardest and most grueling sporting events. Why not marvel in the perfection LA is gracing us with? I mean, this year's TTT was beautiful, USPS was completely insync. They were all working together and individual they all show perfection.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I, and everyone respects that (well they should, I do), but when someone is attacked b/c he is true to himself, not selling out, maybe we should just back off.

Thanks

18. Weisse Luft

Weisse Luft New Member

Trekdedicated, well put. I can only extend what you said by relating my story of first meeting Lance. It was in the Fall of 1996. Right after he had his brain surgery to remove the mets. There was a local 2 person time trial, nothing special for a pro but in his condition, it was considered by many a possible swan song.

Eddy Mercx had flown in to do the time trial with Lance and even being in his "gravitationally gifted" stature, it was the least he could do. Lance looked like a ghost, completely hairless, pale and as if he had a foot in his own grave. But he finished the time trial and it was the glimmer of hope we all were looking for.

Two years later, in 1998, I met him again at the Ride for the Roses. One must have faith in a Supreme Being to believe these two are the same person.
    Lance is a miracle I have witnessed with my own eyes.

19. sbwirtz

sbwirtz New Member

I am a fan of cycling... regardless of who is in the peloton. Lance's cancer survivorship is, in fact, a moving story of determination that is awesome to hear about. He has transformed himself into a worthy opponent in the most publicised of the grand Tours-- a race he abandoned a couple of times pre-cancer. He has rekindled an interest in American cycling that was slowly fizzling. And yes, he embarks on a 3 week journey to prove to the world that this race can be won 6 times. There are many reasons to like Lance Armstrong.

Yet, as I find a part of myself wanting to root for him in this year's TDF, another part of me hopes that another story unfolds and that the coveted 6th victory slips out of Armstrong's hands like it has the other racing legends who have dared attempt it. It has nothing to do with his family life, nothing to do with his personality...only the elusive mystique of Number 6.

20. Beastt

Beastt New Member

Very well said, TrekDedicated. Some people seem to just hate a winner. Others dislike a winner who beats their personal favorite. I'm not sure why so many people are so against Lance but I think were they to measure themselves against him on an objective level, they might find that the problem isn't with Lance. Thank you for speaking out.

:)