Lance Armstrong

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> Barry Carson wrote:
>
> > Is Lance Armstrong the best cyclist the world has ever seen?
> >

> No, Merckx was. That question shouldn't even be asked.

Quite.

John B

Seconded (or thirded, fourthed etc...) Niv.

On 25 Sep 2003 16:23:27 GMT, Arthur Clune wrote:
> and those socks! Man, someone has to tell him his socks are too long :)

Yes! And the shorts too.

"Andy P" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > Is Lance Armstrong the best cyclist the world has ever seen?
>
> Fell off or something didn't he? My Gran reckons she's never fallen off
her
> bike in 60 odd years.

Yeah and how good is he at abusing car drivers, running red lights and checking his reflection in
shop windows without crashing? Eh? *Now* were talking proper cycling.

--
Andrew

"Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do with the ball, just
stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options afterwards."

In article <[email protected]>, gtg74 @btinternetDOT.com says...

> "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Barry Carson wrote:
> >
> > > Is Lance Armstrong the best cyclist the world has ever seen?
> > >

> > No, Merckx was. That question shouldn't even be asked.
> >

> Well said !
>
> Graham

Jealousy? You know what, I bet if you guys were around when Merckx was at the top of his game you'd
be slagging him off too. It's the old British thing isn't it? Build 'em up then knock 'em down. Some
people just cannot stand to see others having success. Sad people. And criticizing the length of his
socks and shorts? Oh dear!

Dene

"pmj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> the best where eddy merckx and bernard hinault armstrong is another doped extraordinary athlete
> but never the best peter
Doped? Lance has had more tests than most and all were negative. After the **** he had pumped
through him during chemo I doubt he'd want to take even asprin let alone EPO etc.

On 26 Sep 2003 01:13:20 +0950, rider <[email protected]> wrote:

>Johnb wrote:
> > Andy Hibbins wrote:
> > > Barry Carson wrote:
> > >
> > ><snip>
> > If he wins, I would too. But only if Merckx is riding ;-) John B
>

>Mrcks retired ageas ago so it wouldn't be a fair race. :D

Merckx rode in this year's tour.

Mind you that was Axel, not Eddie.

Tim
--
In space no one can eat ice cream

Dene Wilby <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > No, Merckx was. That question shouldn't even be asked.

> > Well said !

> Jealousy? You know what, I bet if you guys were around when Merckx was at the top of his game
> you'd be slagging him off too. It's the old British thing isn't it? Build 'em up then knock
> 'em down.

Thats quite comical.Lance is a very good cyclist, but check out his race history over the last 5
years - what has he won? The biggest race of all, yes, but he doesnt enter much else does he? Merckx
entered whatever he could and won more than he lost(IIRC),thats not just long tour wins, thats all
stages/races. He also had a lot of competition, which sadly, Lance has not had.This years tour was
the closest for 3 years,but last year, Lance had no-one to really push him.He is the probably the
best current cyclist over a long tour, but he cannot really be considered to be the greatest of all
time, as he hasnt won a number of classics and Worlds. Alan.

--
Change the 'minus' to 'plus' to reply by mail. http://www.dvatc.co.uk off-road cycling in the
North Midlands.

Barry Carson wrote:
> Is Lance Armstrong the best cyclist the world has ever seen?

No, Eddy Merckx is

"Steve Holdoway" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:39:36 +0100, Peter Clinch
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Barry Carson wrote:
> >> Is Lance Armstrong the best cyclist the world has ever seen?
> >
> >Define "best cyclist". I'd imagine he would be beaten out of sight on any serious descent trails
> >by the local kids...
> >
> >Pete
> Errr...
>
> Don't think so somehow. He's one of the world's best triathletes, too!
>
> Steve

Hmm, not quite, but he'd give any other Tour rider a kicking in a triathlon. Lance was a good
triathlete b4 the cancer, when he was much bigger and stronger. His muscles have now grown back
totally for cycling, not for swimming etc. He wouldn't be competitive at an international level

I still wouldn't take him on though! :eek:)

"Ross" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:WeIcb.335$%[email protected]...

> "pmj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > the best where eddy merckx and bernard hinault armstrong is another doped extraordinary athlete
> > but never the best peter
> Doped? Lance has had more tests than most and all were negative. After the **** he had pumped
> through him during chemo I doubt he'd want to take even asprin let alone EPO etc.

I think you'll find Lance has had more EPO than other Tour riders!

-its part of the chemo process and I can't help feeling that by losing all that bodyweight and
coming back a 'pure cyclist' in terms of new muscle build and EPO that he has gained a physical
advantage. I am definitely not ignoring the fact though that it doesn't matter 'what you got' in
terms of physique, he skill needs a tough head to actually 'put it into action'

In article <1g1v19e.1i3ztfh160s5rvN%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> Dene Wilby <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Well said !
>
> > Jealousy? You know what, I bet if you guys were around when Merckx was at the top of his game
> > you'd be slagging him off too. It's the old British thing isn't it? Build 'em up then knock
> > 'em down.
>
> Thats quite comical.Lance is a very good cyclist, but check out his race history over the last 5
> years - what has he won? The biggest race of all, yes, but he doesnt enter much else does he?
> Merckx entered whatever he could and won more than he lost(IIRC),thats not just long tour wins,
> thats all stages/races. He also had a lot of competition, which sadly, Lance has not had.This
> years tour was the closest for 3 years,but last year, Lance had no-one to really push him.He is
> the probably the best current cyclist over a long tour, but he cannot really be considered to be
> the greatest of all time, as he hasnt won a number of classics and Worlds. Alan.

You miss my point, sure Merckx was awesome, that's not what i'm saying. All I am saying is that
Lance is, undoubtably, the guy with the highest profile in his sport and some people just can't hack
that. It IS jealousy and they'll take a pop at the slightest thing. I'm not comparing him with
cyclists past and present, just some peoples attitudes to lifes winners.

Dene

wrote:

>Is Lance Armstrong the best cyclist the world has ever seen?

To be honest, couldn't really give a toss. Is Dulux paint the best?

I hit 42mph on my clapped out 'suped-up' Sun Solo [dumpster salvage] on Saturday [thanks you hill],
and am looking forward to doing a bit more riding with other people soon, and that just about takes
the biscuit as far as I'm concerned in the cycling world.

Right, now...how long do we have to wait for the next amazing helmet thread?

GarryB [celebrity zoned-out]

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Andy P <[email protected]> wrote:

> :> Is Lance Armstrong the best cyclist the world has ever seen?
>
> : Fell off or something didn't he? My Gran reckons she's never fallen off
her
> : bike in 60 odd years.
>
> and those socks! Man, someone has to tell him his socks are too long :)
>
> Arthur

They're for tucking his trousers in.

Ken ;-)

"Dene Wilby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > armstrong is another doped extraordinary athlete
>
> explain?

I dunno, lots of drugs solely to save his life?

It would be an extra-ordinary thing to do, but if an extremely promising tri-athelete showing most
potential for cycling starved almost to death to get rid of all excess bodyweight and then built
himself up solely as a cyclist, you'd get some novel results.

"we have the technology to rebuild him" ... he's the 6 million dollar man.