Lance Armstrong's Trek Madone SSL proto

Originally posted by WKrider
Just saw Lance's guys designing this on OLN. It is the bike they put together for the time trial leg through the mountains during the tour.

Here are the bars...

That's one of the aspects I like about the cyclingnews website. They show the many different bikes of the top riders on the pro peleton. :)

I find the brake lever setup interesting. When building a bike, I've always used the rule of thum that the bottom section of the handlebar should be parallel to the ground (which it is) and if you hold a straight-edge against it, it should extend forward and just touch the bottom tip of the brake lever.

The brakes on that bike are mounted quite high on the bars for what I'm used to seeing. Perhaps it has something to do with accessibility from the aero bars.

Originally posted by cydewaze
I find the brake lever setup interesting. When building a bike, I've always used the rule of thum that the bottom section of the handlebar should be parallel to the ground (which it is) and if you hold a straight-edge against it, it should extend forward and just touch the bottom tip of the brake lever.

The brakes on that bike are mounted quite high on the bars for what I'm used to seeing. Perhaps it has something to do with accessibility from the aero bars.

From what I understand after watching the show, the levers are like that to assist him with his climbs,,,being out of the saddle. During the show they really tried to focus on comfortability on the hills as well as aero.

Where can you get aero bars like that ?? They look like a really simple clip-on...and straightforward. Its all you need -- a place to rest your forearms and something to grip.

Most of the aftermarket brands (Profile Design) are too complex for what I'm wanting and they seem to have lots of bends, curves and angles.

Any ideas on where to get these?

Thanks,
BB

Originally posted by krotch
Where can you get aero bars like that ?? They look like a really simple clip-on...and straightforward. Its all you need -- a place to rest your forearms and something to grip.

Most of the aftermarket brands (Profile Design) are too complex for what I'm wanting and they seem to have lots of bends, curves and angles.

Any ideas on where to get these?

Thanks,
BB

Those were fabricated specifically for him. They are not availible commercially. The show actually showed them manufacturing them.