Lance ****** at Evans???

vadimivich said:
But cycling isn't so much about the attacks as it is the traditions. The flavor of the sport that makes it great is the small touches like that.

Armstrong tells many stories of being a young brash American who stepped on everyone's toes his first time in Europe. He didn't know any of the traditions, didn't know how to show respect. It says a lot that many of the former greats were people he befriended or at least had respectful relationships with (Merckx, Indurain, etc) as he grew up and matured.

Evans had a slight error in judgement yesterday, he gained nothing from what he did, but the peloton probably doesn't think highly of it.

The peloton probably knows nothing of it (the incident).

wolfix said:
That's really reaching to be anti-Discovery. Everyone knows that every Discovery fan has PHOTOSHOP and can blank Cadel out in all the photos they want......

Let's see...... Armstrong is now vain......
Armstrong is a doper......
Armstrong is a bully.....
Armstrong is a low paying employer....
Armstrong only wins because he races one race.....
I read today somewhere in a German magazine where Merckx undersatnds why LA is retiring after all the garbage LA has to endure.
Next year, the anti-Armstrong people get to see someone else win the TDF . But that winner will also have critics and an * next to his name. They will say he only won "BECAUSE ARMSTRONG RETIRED !"

It was a question wolfix, a question. Did I touch a nerve? ;)

Wow! I went to bed and when I get up the thread has turned into a battleground! It appears Evans was asked by the media what Lance said and he told them. He didn't make a big deal out of it. Others did that. He didn't even mention it on his website diary.

I'm not anti-Lance, in fact I'm far from it. I really admire him for what he has achieved and I don't think he is as bad a guy as what a lot of people make him out to be.
I think there is a danger in giving him too much respect. It is a bike race and the riders in it don't have to do what Lance Armstrong tells them. In any case he will be gone in two days so it doesn't matter what he thinks.
Cadel Evans merely made an instinctive move to sprint for the line. He hadn't sat on for 200km. It wasn't for the stage win. He was racing.
The incident has been blown out of proportion.

wolfix said:
Wheel sucking on this side of the pond is also not respected .
Except when a rider has his team mate. in the following peloton and it is to the disadvantage of the team mate to pull through.

A sprinter can suck a climbers wheel on the climbs but not on the flats, except in the last meters setting up a sprint.

And this can be reversed . A climber can such wheels of a sprinter in the last meters leading up to the final sprint.
========================================================

But the traditions of the TDF are what makes it beautiful and not just another race. The traditions are remembered much longer then the riders themselves. This is a race that is over 100 years old , so history is a major part of the allure.
What Cadel did was probably a case of over excitement. Armstrong said what must have been said and left it at that. I doubt if Armstrong is ****** or has gave it any more thought then what was said at that moment. This is a situation where the media and "us guys" on this forum are making it an issue.
=======================================================

The Grand Canyon in woolen jerseys??? That would be good. But I would want to ride and to be honest, I don't think there are any pubs in the bottom of the canyon. Tonight I will dig through my jersey collection and see what I can come up with. I have a beautiful Peugeot jersey but it hasn't fit me since my competitive days .....I don't have a Skil or a Kas.... I got it ...... I'll let you ride in one of my many Creda Raleigh ones ....

Tradition's run in all grand tours.
But I take your point.

Raleigh Creda jersey is fine : Raleigh anything would suffice !

Michaelz said:
As has been pointed out we don't actually know if Lance was ****** or not. It might have been a simple "didn't you realize there were no time gaps and you wasted energy for no reason?" -- not as much a complaint as an education.

I haven't seen anyone mention the context prior to the last 100m. Armstrong put in a long pull for the last several hundred meters for no gain. Basso and Ullrich are with him, and he can't possibly be worried about Rasmussen taking time out from him on a TT and taking the yellow jersey. What he was doing was helping two of his mountain companions, Basso and Ullrich, put time into Rasmussen. In essence he was saying "I can ride in a straight line at the front faster than you can right now, so tuck in behind me and you'll get the most that we can on the rest."

From Evan's perspective the explanation could be as simple as he thought they were racing for 10th and a time bonus that he wanted, but again he gave no indication he was going to contest the sprint.

Michael

Well said.

Any thoughts about Hincapie's tactics with Oscar Pereiro last Sunday ?

wolfix said:
They will say he only won "BECAUSE ARMSTRONG RETIRED !"

That's what the LA cheerleaders will say, Wolf.

LA is leaving the sport - sorry I'll rephrase that he's leaving the TDF - with that question hanging for next year.
Would "___________" have beaten LA in 2006 ?

limerickman said:
LA is leaving the sport - sorry I'll rephrase that he's leaving the TDF QUOTE]

so so true. everything else was merely a warm-up for his big event, which doesn't do any justice to those events at all. :cool:

Dead Star said:
limerickman said:
LA is leaving the sport - sorry I'll rephrase that he's leaving the TDF QUOTE]

so so true. everything else was merely a warm-up for his big event, which doesn't do any justice to those events at all. :cool:

.......don't ya know that cycling finishes after Sunday !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

limerickman said:
.......don't ya know that cycling finishes after Sunday !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(, cycling's over for good.

What's the Giro? Someone said Paris-roubaix's a good race, but lance never took part in that, so it can't be(!)

Yep, no more cycling after Sunday.
P-R, Giro, Vuelta : all gone, finished.

No point in it going on, LA's retiring and that means the sport is over, finito.
I'm putting me bike up for sale on ebay.

Oprah will be doin' specials on "HOW CAN I COPE - NOW THAT CYCLING IS
OVER, Y'ALL !"
(don't worry, she'll give you and yer bike a makeover and that'll make 'verything
all right and dandy !)

boohoooo, cycling's not ever going to be the same again *sniff*.

what on earth's Musette going to do? HAHAHAHAH :D

Dead Star said:
boohoooo, cycling's not ever going to be the same again *sniff*.

what on earth's Musette going to do? HAHAHAHAH :D

oh don't worry, I'm sure she's busy burrowing away trying to spot some new talent, somewhere.

she's thinking of new cheerleading routines for Hincapie/Danielson, and more rhymes/limericks to **** off T-mobile :D

limerickman said:
He moved from 9th on GC to 7th on GC, so he gained time on Landis and Vino.
He didn't gain anytime by doing it though? They finished together. Yes he gained time, but not because of the sprint.

Someone did the same thing the Merckx the other day as well and he too looked ******. It's called bike racing right? These guys need to let it go Including Lance. I know they are supposed to 'respect' the race, but please. Just pedal and see who wins.

azdroptop said:
He didn't gain anytime by doing it though? They finished together. Yes he gained time, but not because of the sprint.

Someone did the same thing the Merckx the other day as well and he too looked ******. It's called bike racing right? These guys need to let it go Including Lance. I know they are supposed to 'respect' the race, but please. Just pedal and see who wins.

yesh Vasseur sprinted past Merckx for second on the same stage as mr Axel was slightly annoyed that he did nothing to try and get back to Serrano.

and you're right. Evans sprinted because that's obviously a lot faster than just coasting in like Armstrong and his subjects did.

Do you see Pereiro moaning about the nice lead-out Evans gave him the stage before Musette? oh no, that's against the traditions of the tour(!) he has to slow down and make a proper sprint out of it, not make it appear as though he's helping his fellow breakaway riders(!)

Dead Star said:
yesh Vasseur sprinted past Merckx for second on the same stage as mr Axel was slightly annoyed that he did nothing to try and get back to Serrano.

and you're right. Evans sprinted because that's obviously a lot faster than just coasting in like Armstrong and his subjects did.

Do you see Pereiro moaning about the nice lead-out Evans gave him the stage before Musette? oh no, that's against the traditions of the tour(!) he has to slow down and make a proper sprint out of it, not make it appear as though he's helping his fellow breakaway riders(!)
Instead of asking why Lance is ****** of at Evans, I'd like to know why so many of you (mitosis, Lim-man) are ****** off at Lance? It's just a bike race, lighten up!

Time was when Armstrong was an arrogant little ***** who had no problem dissing the then "heads of state". (Not that I am suggesting for one moment that that is what Cadel Evans is.)
The only thing people learn from history....

mocka58 said:
That's the biggest load of **** I've ever read! Evans had every right to do what he did. Hincapie sat on for 200km and Armstrong had nothing to say about that.
Ten years ago Johan Bruyneel sat on Miguel Indurain for 50km and outsprinted him for a stage win. He never went to the front once and now we all know who's team he manages. Armstrong's attitude was hypocritical
When he asked Evans 'what was that for?" Cadel should have replied 'No gifts!". Ha ha.

Great post. Exactly.

Why the heck Armstrong cared is baffling. No time bonuses. No high placings. Evans went for the line.

If it had been the other way around mussette would have made the opposite argument. Maybe the Disco public relations department is hiring.

azdroptop said:

I think LA was petty to yell at Evans, but the Tour and any other bike race is not "just pedal and see who wins." Tactics and honor and respect play important roles. There is a lot more to winning than pedaling.

Take Guerini's win yesterday. The break blew it by playing lookie-loo after Guerini attacked off the back. Bad tactics, loose the race.

As an example: Should Hincapie have participated in a 180km break? No. But should he have pulled on the last 3km when the break was going to win? Yes. Riders know this. DS's know this. Commentators know this. Fans expect it.

(Reasons like this are why Kloden doesn't want to race with Vino anymore and why Guerini didn't seem to mind working in a break with Pereiro.)

Crankster said:
Instead of asking why Lance is ****** of at Evans, I'd like to know why so many of you (mitosis, Lim-man) are ****** off at Lance? It's just a bike race, lighten up!

I don't wish to start another punch up, crank, mate, but where did I state that I am ****** off at Lance (I assume you mean Armstrong).

Just for the record, in case you want to know what I think of riders, let me state that I think Evans is fantastic and It would take a great deal of convincing to make me believe that he would ever do anything unsportsmanlike in a race (edit: in the short time since I wrote this post it seems some evidence has come to light).

Unlike McEwen who I admire greatly but was ****** of at after the duel with O'Grady at 70kph. Not for the the head butt but more the fact that I thought tilting his head like that while sprinting - and not falling off - was overdoing the showmanship.

So just to relieve your anxiety let me say that I'm not ****** off at Lance Armstrong - at the moment. I've been ****** of with him in the past plenty of times. But you've got to remember that I get ****** off with all sorts of people from time to time. The feeling doesn't linger.

Finally, why are you spending so much time on this Forum if it is "just a bike race". IMHO the 50k scratch race I went in this afternoon (and came third in just out of interest) is just a bike race. We have been discussing the Tour de France.

What does DNA stand for? (this is a serious riddle that is not attemting to take the **** - please don't get angry with me).