Lance at the TDU?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by hippy, Jun 16, 2004.

  1. hippy

    hippy Guest

    Did anyone see the late news last night? I think it was on 'Chanel
    Number 7' (Ch7) and they spoke about Pat Jonker (an aussie and ex
    teammate of Lance's) trying to get him to race in the TDU in the future.

    Apparently Lance has expressed an interest in this before and with him
    likely to be less competitive in the TdF, racing things like the Giro
    and tours in other countries is back on the cards.

    hippy
    - now with new Stealth Mode!

  2. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > Did anyone see the late news last night? I think it was on 'Chanel
    > Number 7' (Ch7) and they spoke about Pat Jonker (an aussie and ex
    > teammate of Lance's) trying to get him to race in the TDU in the future.
    > Apparently Lance has expressed an interest in this before and with him
    > likely to be less competitive in the TdF, racing things like the Giro
    > and tours in other countries is back on the cards.
    > hippy
    > - now with new Stealth Mode!

    Seeing as His team now has a new sponsor taking over after USPS pullout
    after this year, it may be likely. Altho he announced 2 days ago that
    he will be riding the TdF in 2005 as well (obviously thinking he is
    gonna win this year too), so perhaps the 'LA fairwell tour' might be
    delayed a tad.

    Cannot wait for the TdF. Gonna be a cracker! LA, Ullrich, Simoni, Mayo
    (alas no Vinokourov now :-( ), and guys like Cooke, Mcewen, Ogrady,
    McGee and Evans all busting out of their skin, its gonna be HUGE

    Know a guy in Adelaide who scored a beautiful Colnago given to him by
    Tony Rominger in the (i think) first TDU

    What's with the 'Stealth Mode':D

    --

  3. hippy

    hippy Guest

    >Originally posted by flyingdutch Seeing as His team now has a new
    >sponsor taking over after >USPS pullout after this year, it may be
    >likely. Altho he >announced 2 days ago that he will be riding the TdF
    >in 2005 as well (obviously thinking he is gonna win this year too), so
    >>perhaps the 'LA fairwell tour' might be delayed a tad.

    'Discovery Channel' I think are the new sponsors. They mentioned that on
    the news as well.

    >Cannot wait for the TdF. Gonna be a cracker!

    Yep! :)

    >Cooke, Mcewen, Ogrady, McGee and Evans all busting out of >their skin,
    >its gonna be HUGE

    Is O'Grady still riding it? He was off last year, I guessed he might not
    be wanting to ride it? I don't really follow aussie riders that much..
    too much else to watch/do.

    >What's with the 'Stealth Mode':D

    Someone might have had their ears lowered on Saturday... ;)

    hippy

    --

  4. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Speaking of Lance, heard he's a bit not happy about ongoing drug
    allegations - apparently a new book is being released and the authors
    blatantly accuse him despite repeated negative results. Good luck with
    him suing their bums off.
    --

    ______________________________________

    Tamyka Bell, PhD Student
    School of Human Movement Studies
    The University Of Queensland
    ______________________________________

  5. suzyj

    suzyj Guest

    Originally posted by flyingdutch:

    > Seeing as His team now has a new sponsor taking over after USPS
    > pullout after this year, it may be likely. Altho he announced 2 days
    > ago that he will be riding the TdF in 2005 as well

    Somehow I can't see an American being the first to win six tours. My
    bets are on Jan.

    Regards,

    Suzy

    --

  6. hippy

    hippy Guest

    >Originally posted by suzyj Somehow I can't see an American being the
    >first to win six tours. My bets are on Jan.

    My money is on Lance. He's a proven fighter and I think he's hungry for
    the record. I know he was struggling a bit last year and anything could
    happen, but my money is still on him...

    Jan is still too fat isn't he? Mayo could be a threat in those little
    hills... he beat Lance in that recent Dauphiné Libéré TT and so did
    Hamilton and Sevilla. Cash on Hamilton for another stage win or two..

    What about the aussies.. who has predictions for them?

    hippy

    --

  7. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > >Originally posted by suzyj Somehow I can't see an American being the
    > >first to win six tours. My bets are on Jan.

    > My money is on Lance. He's a proven fighter and I think he's hungry for
    > the record. I know he was struggling a bit last year and anything could
    > happen, but my money is still on him...
    > Jan is still too fat isn't he? Mayo could be a threat in those little
    > hills... he beat Lance in that recent Dauphiné Libéré TT and so did
    > Hamilton and Sevilla. Cash on Hamilton for another stage win or two..
    > What about the aussies.. who has predictions for them?
    > hippy

    My money is:

    5/4 LA
    6/4 Tyler-what-bone-sticking-out?-Hamilton
    7/4 Mayo (call AlpeDeHuez little?)
    8/1 Simoni
    9/1 Jan-who-ate-all-the-pies?-Ullrich

    Pettachi to win every flat stage bar-one and TTs before the hills and
    then pullout

    Mcewen to regain green and then lose it to Ogrady in the last few stages

    2 stagewins to Ozzies

    Ogrady-sprintfinish after long breakaway with 5-10 others Mcewen-sprint
    finish in first week to deny Pettachi a clean sweep before hills

    Second last stage (indivTT) to decide the lot!

    Not that im looking forward to it, mind... :rolleyes:

    --

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:

    > 2 stagewins to Ozzies
    >
    > Ogrady-sprintfinish after long breakaway with 5-10 others Mcewen-sprint
    > finish in first week to deny Pettachi a clean sweep before hills

    So you're writing off last year's prolog winner in the prolog, even
    though he also won the prolog at the Giro this year, and is in superb
    form? And you don't think the winner of last year's maillot vert is
    going to win a stage?

    I think you're selling the boys short...

    --
    Shane Stanley

  9. blah

    blah Guest

    hippy <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<797Ac.1360$5%[email protected]>...
    > 'Discovery Channel' I think are the new sponsors. They mentioned that on
    > the news as well.

    I'm sorry, but has anyone else found this funny..? I'm a Simpson's
    fan, and in an episode in which the boys of Springfield venture into
    Shelbyville, they split into groups. Bully Nelson is teamed with nerdy
    Martin, who says something like "We shall be called Team Discovery
    Channel!"...

    (distainful silence)

    Just thought it was funny, that's all...

    Sorry.

    If you haven't been following Aussie cyclists in Europe, you may be
    surprised to learn that the last week or so has been HUGE. Cadel Evans
    won the Tour of Austria overall (and a stage), Robbie McEwan has won
    two stages of the Tour de Suiss (still going) and Stuie O'grady won
    two stages of the Dauphine Libere and the points jersey. The week
    before that Alan Davis won a stage of the Tour of Germany. I for one
    am pumped for the TdF.

  10. Max

    Max Guest

    This is from Lance's web site
    LEGAL NOTICE
    RE: LANCE ARMSTRONG - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

    Lance Armstrong has reacted with concern and dismay at the false
    allegations made by David Walsh, Chief Sports Writer of the Sunday
    Times. The allegations appear in a forthcoming book entitled 'LA
    Confidential', co-written with Pierre Ballester and to be published in
    France. Extracts from the book have appeared in L'Express and some of
    the book's allegations were repeated in yesterday's Sunday Times.

    Lance Armstrong utterly denies ever
    having taken any performance enhancing drugs.

    Accordingly, Lance Armstrong has instructed his lawyers to immediately
    institute libel proceedings

    1) In the High Court in London against the Sunday Times and David Walsh
    seeking an injunction and substantial damages

    2) In Paris, against David Walsh, Pierre Ballester, the publishers of
    'LA Confidential' and the publishers of L'Express.

    Proceedings will be filed in the High Court tomorrow.

    Tamyka Bell wrote:

    > Speaking of Lance, heard he's a bit not happy about ongoing drug
    > allegations - apparently a new book is being released and the authors
    > blatantly accuse him despite repeated negative results. Good luck with
    > him suing their bums off.

  11. Peter Vesel

    Peter Vesel Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > My money is:
    >
    > 5/4 LA
    > 6/4 Tyler-what-bone-sticking-out?-Hamilton
    > 7/4 Mayo (call AlpeDeHuez little?)
    > 8/1 Simoni
    > 9/1 Jan-who-ate-all-the-pies?-Ullrich
    >
    > Pettachi to win every flat stage bar-one and TTs before the hills and
    > then pullout
    >
    > Mcewen to regain green and then lose it to Ogrady in the last few stages
    >
    > 2 stagewins to Ozzies
    >
    > Ogrady-sprintfinish after long breakaway with 5-10 others Mcewen-sprint
    > finish in first week to deny Pettachi a clean sweep before hills
    >
    > Second last stage (indivTT) to decide the lot!
    >
    > Not that im looking forward to it, mind... :rolleyes:

    Time gaps from team time trial to be crucial...perhaps the maximum loss of
    time at 2:30 to be a factor.
    LA to marshall his team to the front of the cobbled stage and one of the
    other favourites to be stuck behind a crash on that stage.
    Gilberto Simoni to talk big and do nothing.
    Roberto Heras to attack LA but not force a break as Armstrong doesn't like
    traitors.
    McEwen to whinge about no team support...read Petacchi is faster than him.
    Cippolini to whinge about everything, win nothing then crash and leave the
    race early.
    Petacchi to win Green Jersey.

    Peter

  12. On 17 Jun 2004 00:33:30 -0700, [email protected] (blah) wrote:

    <snip>

    >If you haven't been following Aussie cyclists in Europe, you may be
    >surprised to learn that the last week or so has been HUGE. Cadel Evans
    >won the Tour of Austria overall (and a stage), Robbie McEwan has won
    >two stages of the Tour de Suiss (still going) and Stuie O'grady won
    >two stages of the Dauphine Libere and the points jersey. The week
    >before that Alan Davis won a stage of the Tour of Germany. I for one
    >am pumped for the TdF.

    And Stuuie also was 5th in the mountain competition. Yeah, that's
    right. Stuie the mountain climber :)

    --
    Regards.
    Richard.

  13. Steve

    Steve Guest

    & a stair-runner turned cyclist from Canberra called Crake riding for an
    Austrian division 3 pro team beat Evans over the huge Grossglochner climb
    & placed top ten on GC in a geniune Euro Tour .
    "Richard Sherratt" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    > On 17 Jun 2004 00:33:30 -0700, [email protected] (blah) wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > >If you haven't been following Aussie cyclists in Europe, you may be
    > >surprised to learn that the last week or so has been HUGE. Cadel Evans
    > >won the Tour of Austria overall (and a stage), Robbie McEwan has won
    > >two stages of the Tour de Suiss (still going) and Stuie O'grady won
    > >two stages of the Dauphine Libere and the points jersey. The week
    > >before that Alan Davis won a stage of the Tour of Germany. I for one
    > >am pumped for the TdF.

    > And Stuuie also was 5th in the mountain competition. Yeah, that's
    > right. Stuie the mountain climber :)
    >

    > --
    > Regards.
    > Richard.

  14. Roadie_scum

    Roadie_scum Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > & a stair-runner turned cyclist from Canberra called Crake riding for an
    > Austrian division 3 pro team beat Evans over the huge Grossglochner
    > climb & placed top ten on GC in a geniune Euro Tour .

    Yeah, it's not as if the Austria tour had the classiest field, but it
    was a good ride from Cadel, and there were still some quality riders.
    Paul Crake hasn't exactly come from nowhere! Good ride at the nats this
    summer, and one of the genuinely fittest blokes in Australia (or Europe,
    at the moment).

    --

  15. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    Peter Vesel wrote:
    > [B
    > Time gaps from team time trial to be crucial...perhaps the maximum loss
    > of time at 2:30 to be a factor. LA to marshall his team to the front of
    > the cobbled stage and one of the other favourites to be stuck behind a
    > crash on that stage. Gilberto Simoni to talk big and do nothing. Roberto
    > Heras to attack LA but not force a break as Armstrong doesn't like
    > traitors. McEwen to whinge about no team support...read Petacchi is
    > faster than him. Cippolini to whinge about everything, win nothing then
    > crash and leave the race early. Petacchi to win Green Jersey.
    > Peter

    Petacchi might wear green but he cant win it cos he wont finish it.

    Ogrady has always been a decent climber, just not outstanding like the
    noted riders.

    As for Cookey, unless he's faking it, his form is not what it was last
    year. shame.

    And yes, McGee to be favourite for opening Prologue. Millar to discover
    a new form of 'mechanical' :D

    Ohy, and look out for ore riders using them new campag and FSA compact
    50/34 chainsets in the hillier stages (at least them woosey wheel-suckin
    sprinters and Hamilton)