Lance Bails Out of the Olympics

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by gntlmn, Jul 8, 2004.

1. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

After the end of stage 5 today, Lance Armstrong announced he will not be going to the Olympics next month. He had been assured a place on the team, but he chose instead to spend time with his children. He will be going back to Austin on July 25 after the Tour ends. He was not able to visit with them for the 2 months prior to the Tour. He had to train in Europe then to prepare for the Tour.

Tags:

2. marv800

marv800 New Member

What a wuss

3. bwalt17

bwalt17 New Member

I respect the man for wanting to spend time with his kids. It shows he's a real family man, and that he has his priorties in proportion.

4. TrekDedicated

TrekDedicated New Member

Now, for the people that ridicule Lance for his family/wife choices you better not give him crap for this.

Props for Lance...

Unless of course he loses the TdF, he may do everything he can to get on the team... OH MY. lol

5. leif_ericson

leif_ericson New Member

I say, if a pro cyclist can make a living by racing just one day a year, more power to them. Especially if they have a family.

I don't know why cycling is in the olympics, anyway.

6. ed073

ed073 New Member

:confused: :confused: :confused:

7. woodgab

woodgab New Member

Say Lance gets his sixth, with all the balleyhoo. Wouldn't it be anticlimactic to see him bronze, or anything other than gold, at the olympics? I can't help but think his motives include more than family.

8. jt001

jt001 New Member

No LA in Athens?? Not totally unexpected. I'm used to only seeing him race one big race seriously every year. Better to spend time with the kids and Shazza and let Tyler take the glory for once. He might rethink if chockes on the L'Alpe D'Huez ITT.

9. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

He's been to 3 Olympics and never took home Gold. This would have been his 4th. I guess he didn't figure it was worth it, aside from family considerations. Actually, I think he's looking ahead to 2005 now that he has a fresh sponsor with the Discovery station. I suspect that the Olympics may not fit into an optimum training schedule for him. After all, it seemed that he could have gotten them all to join him in Athens. Who knows though what with the divorce and all.