Lance Camelback

Fil

Guest
Thick question, but Lance appeared to be wearing a Camelback or similar
under his skinsuit today (his back deffo looked a strange shape). Then
again, Phil Liggett mentioned that USPS had spent £££££'s (sorry, $$$$'s)
developing the worlds most advanced time trial clothes. Was it a Camelback
or aero padding? Am I hallucinating? Help!!!

"Fil" <S*n*a*p*p*a*t*i*o*n*a*[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Thick question, but Lance appeared to be wearing a Camelback or
> similar under his skinsuit today (his back deffo looked a strange
> shape). Then again, Phil Liggett mentioned that USPS had spent £££££'s
> (sorry, $$$$'s) developing the worlds most advanced time trial
> clothes. Was it a Camelback or aero padding? Am I hallucinating?
> Help!!!

It is hard to drink biking up a mountain with the heavy breathing and all.
So I guess it would be aero padding. However, I don't know why they would
use it on a mountain climb (you know).

"Fil" <S*n*a*p*p*a*t*i*o*n*a*[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thick question, but Lance appeared to be wearing a Camelback or

similar
> under his skinsuit today (his back deffo looked a strange shape). Then
> again, Phil Liggett mentioned that USPS had spent £££££'s (sorry,

$$$$'s)
> developing the worlds most advanced time trial clothes. Was it a

Camelback
> or aero padding? Am I hallucinating? Help!!!

It's a radio.

"Fil" <S*n*a*p*p*a*t*i*o*n*a*[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thick question, but Lance appeared to be wearing a Camelback or similar
> under his skinsuit today (his back deffo looked a strange shape). Then
> again, Phil Liggett mentioned that USPS had spent £££££'s (sorry, $$$$'s)
> developing the worlds most advanced time trial clothes. Was it a Camelback
> or aero padding? Am I hallucinating? Help!!!

In one of "The Lance Comercials" they talked about putting a pocket for the
radio - Which you could see on his lower back, on a non-aero portion of the
suit. From this picture:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tour04.php?id=photos/2004/tour04/stage16/19

It doesn't look like he was using a Camelback.

-T

"Fil" <S*n*a*p*p*a*t*i*o*n*a*[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thick question, but Lance appeared to be wearing a Camelback or similar
> under his skinsuit today (his back deffo looked a strange shape). Then
> again, Phil Liggett mentioned that USPS had spent £££££'s (sorry, $$$$'s)
> developing the worlds most advanced time trial clothes. Was it a Camelback
> or aero padding? Am I hallucinating? Help!!!

That rectangular bulge? It was his radio transceiver; the skinsuit was
specifically designed for this ITT and had a pocket for the radio sewn in.
Usually the radio is in the helmet, but they knew he wouldn't be wearing one
today because of the "climb of over 5km to the finish" exemption.

RichC

No one in there right mind would use a Camelback that is a real racer. They
retain heat and are a very poor invention. Water belongs on the bicycle not
on your body. They are stupid.

Curt

"Fil" <S*n*a*p*p*a*t*i*o*n*a*[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thick question, but Lance appeared to be wearing a Camelback or similar
> under his skinsuit today (his back deffo looked a strange shape). Then
> again, Phil Liggett mentioned that USPS had spent £££££'s (sorry, $$$$'s)
> developing the worlds most advanced time trial clothes. Was it a Camelback
> or aero padding? Am I hallucinating? Help!!!
>

>Thick question, but Lance appeared to be wearing a Camelback or similar
>under his skinsuit today (his back deffo looked a strange shape).

I think you might be seeing Lance's "hump". His back naturally has a very odd
shape to it when he is in more of a time trial position. He gets most of his
range of motion from his upper back rather than his lower back.
WEs

"Ravenwolf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Fil" <S*n*a*p*p*a*t*i*o*n*a*[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > Thick question, but Lance appeared to be wearing a Camelback or
> > similar under his skinsuit today (his back deffo looked a strange
> > shape). Then again, Phil Liggett mentioned that USPS had spent £££££'s
> > (sorry, $$$$'s) developing the worlds most advanced time trial
> > clothes. Was it a Camelback or aero padding? Am I hallucinating?
> > Help!!!
> >

> It is hard to drink biking up a mountain with the heavy breathing and all.

BS, he had a normal water bottle.

> So I guess it would be aero padding. However, I don't know why they would
> use it on a mountain climb (you know).

Duh. It was obviously electronics, either telemetry for his HR or a
transceiver for voice communications with his DS (possibly both).

"Jiyang Chen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Fil" <S*n*a*p*p*a*t*i*o*n*a*[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Thick question, but Lance appeared to be wearing a Camelback or

> similar
> > under his skinsuit today (his back deffo looked a strange shape). Then
> > again, Phil Liggett mentioned that USPS had spent £££££'s (sorry,

> $$$$'s)
> > developing the worlds most advanced time trial clothes. Was it a

> Camelback
> > or aero padding? Am I hallucinating? Help!!!
> >

> It's a radio.

I loved when Paul said that Lance had the speaker for his radio in his
helmet so that he could be in constant communication with the team car.
The only problem was that Lance didn't have a helmet on.

"curt" <[email protected]> wrote:
> No one in there right mind would use a Camelback that is a real racer. They
> retain heat and are a very poor invention. Water belongs on the bicycle not
> on your body. They are stupid.

Coggan's mentioned using a Camelback full of ice water under the jersey
for races on very hot days - not to drink from, but to keep cool.
Lance could have used one in last years hot TT, I bet.

I don't love camelbacks but they have their uses. If you are going on
a several hour ride where there may not be water sources they can be useful.
Of course, this is a bigger problem during long offroad rides or races.
Also people sometimes use them in MTB races if they prefer not taking
a hand off the bars to drink, or don't like the way the bottle gets dirty,
or only have space on the frame for one bottle cage (problem for women
and shorter guys). Obviously none of this applies to Lance - that was
just his radio.

On 22 Jul 2004 00:15:44 -0700, [email protected] (Benjamin Weiner)
wrote:

>I don't love camelbacks but they have their uses. If you are going on
>a several hour ride where there may not be water sources they can be useful.

Try being captain on a tandem in heavy cross winds (like some years at
the Seagull Century on the Eastern Shore of Maryland). Bought my first
one after a day trying for the water bottle over there. Next day was
100 percent better with the Camelback.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Keep in mind, I was talking about real cyclists, not someone that doesn't
have the coordination to reach for a water bottle while riding. Never
thought about that, so for those who don't spend much time on their
bicycles, Camelbacks are fine, but for those of us who ride all the time,
they are just a heat conductor and add to a higher weight distribution.

Curt

news:[email protected]...

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 13:37:31 GMT, "curt" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Keep in mind, I was talking about real cyclists, not someone that doesn't
>have the coordination to reach for a water bottle while riding. Never
>thought about that, so for those who don't spend much time on their
>bicycles, Camelbacks are fine, but for those of us who ride all the time,
>they are just a heat conductor and add to a higher weight distribution.

And exactly how much experience on tandems in heavy winds do you have
anyway? Or are you spouting more nonsense as usual? I'm guessing the
main reason that you haven't a real clue is, 1) you stay in doors when
there is a wind outside, and 2) have little experience riding a
tandem.

Real cyclist, my ass.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

"curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Keep in mind, I was talking about real cyclists, not someone that doesn't
> have the coordination to reach for a water bottle while riding. Never
> thought about that, so for those who don't spend much time on their
> bicycles, Camelbacks are fine, but for those of us who ride all the time,
> they are just a heat conductor and add to a higher weight distribution.

They are indeed a heat conductor - but away from the body, not into it as
you claim. They only way they could actively add heat would be if you filled
them with water that was >38-39 deg C (which would be pretty stupid of you,
unless perhaps you were racing Iditabike).

I wonder if Julich now wishes he had been using his Camelbak the day Riis
took him out? ;-)

Andy Coggan

"Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "Ravenwolf" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>> "Fil" <S*n*a*p*p*a*t*i*o*n*a*[email protected]> wrote in
>> news:[email protected]:
>>
>> > Thick question, but Lance appeared to be wearing a Camelback or
>> > similar under his skinsuit today (his back deffo looked a strange
>> > shape). Then again, Phil Liggett mentioned that USPS had spent
>> > £££££'s (sorry, $$$$'s) developing the worlds most advanced time
>> > trial clothes. Was it a Camelback or aero padding? Am I
>> > hallucinating? Help!!!
>> >

>> It is hard to drink biking up a mountain with the heavy breathing and
>> all.

> BS, he had a normal water bottle.
>
>> So I guess it would be aero padding. However, I don't know why they
>> would use it on a mountain climb (you know).

> Duh. It was obviously electronics, either telemetry for his HR or a
> transceiver for voice communications with his DS (possibly both).

I used to bike race. If you watch a race, you will notice that on
mountain climbs, cyclist will ditch there water bottles at the bottom and
pick up news ones at the top from team assistants. Its a weight thing.
The water bottle Lance had that day was because his bike didn't meet
spec. It was to light. He had to add extra weight. I am positive Lance
didn't drink anything and had only minimum weight to pass inspection.

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:43:55 -0500, Ravenwolf
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>

>> "Ravenwolf" <[email protected]> wrote in
>> message news:[email protected]...
>>> "Fil" <S*n*a*p*p*a*t*i*o*n*a*[email protected]> wrote in
>>> news:[email protected]:

>>> It is hard to drink biking up a mountain with the heavy breathing and
>>> all.

>> BS, he had a normal water bottle.
>>
>>> So I guess it would be aero padding. However, I don't know why they
>>> would use it on a mountain climb (you know).

>> Duh. It was obviously electronics, either telemetry for his HR or a
>> transceiver for voice communications with his DS (possibly both).
>>

>I used to bike race. If you watch a race, you will notice that on
>mountain climbs, cyclist will ditch there water bottles at the bottom and
>pick up news ones at the top from team assistants. Its a weight thing.
>The water bottle Lance had that day was because his bike didn't meet
>spec. It was to light. He had to add extra weight. I am positive Lance
>didn't drink anything and had only minimum weight to pass inspection.

Incorrect. Bottles and bike computers can be removed and thus are when
the bike is weighed.

-B

"curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> No one in there right mind would use a Camelback that is a real racer. They
> retain heat and are a very poor invention. Water belongs on the bicycle not
> on your body. They are stupid.
>
> Curt

Yuo are no good writer and am a poor tinker. You are stoopid. Their
you has it.

I hope you ride a hell of a lot better than you write/think. Why
would I pour water on my bike?

**** belongs in the toilet or your colon, not flowing from your
fingers.

App

"curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Keep in mind, I was talking about real cyclists, not someone that doesn't
> have the coordination to reach for a water bottle while riding. Never
> thought about that, so for those who don't spend much time on their
> bicycles, Camelbacks are fine, but for those of us who ride all the time,
> they are just a heat conductor and add to a higher weight distribution.
>
> Curt

So I guess Julich is stupid, uncoordinated, and isn't a "real" cyclist?

Kurt

"Kurt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > Keep in mind, I was talking about real cyclists, not someone that

doesn't
> > have the coordination to reach for a water bottle while riding. Never
> > thought about that, so for those who don't spend much time on their
> > bicycles, Camelbacks are fine, but for those of us who ride all the

time,
> > they are just a heat conductor and add to a higher weight distribution.
> >
> > Curt
> >

> So I guess Julich is stupid, uncoordinated, and isn't a "real" cyclist?
>
> Kurt

You spell your name wrong. Jan is the second best cyclist in the world. I
have yet to see him wear a silly Camelback in the tour. He has a cool
earring though.

Enjoy,
Curt